The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes let’s continue to add pieces that teams don’t want because that has worked out in the past. If Juulsen makes you feel ok about the right side then I don’t know what to say.

yeah because no teams ever swapped prospects before.

I’m feeling pretty bummed about this team and the season hasn’t even started yet. When Petey and Hughes signed, I was relieved, but there have been so many red flags popping up of late:

- putting Hamonic on waivers

- trading away Joulevi 

- Boeser’s injury status unknown

- team unable to gel or look sharp in preseason

- Often-injured Motte still out

- Often-injured Sutter still out (long-Covid?? That could be a forever-thing)

- losing Gadjovich on the waiver wire to the sharks

We as Canucks fans have been waiting years for a relatively healthy, competitive team. We have paid our dues. This needs to be a successful season. My patience is almost up. I already don’t like the fact this team is probably the softest team in the league right now. We need to win. Period.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, who's on and who's off of the VAN starting roster?

My guess:

ON

Chiasson

Highmore

Podkolzin

Petan

Rathbone

Schenn

Hunt

OFF

MacEwen

Dowling

Burroughs

I think the new guy (what’s his name, Lakokonin?) will make th3 club.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Stay away from bridges, ledges, and open windows.  

Seriously, Benning had a great summer.  Our club is set up with elite skill, depth, and experience.  We are in for a fantastic year.  

Amen brother. I hope you’re right, Alf. 

• Cheers 2

Demko was 0-3 in the preseason (11 goals against).  He's going to have to be a lot better.  Happy they have Halak as as backup.

Garland hasn't impressed me much (yet). Is he going to play on Bo's line?

With Hamonic out, for who knows how long, they need one more right shot defensive Dman with size. Schenn is okay and plays physical, but he's somewhat slow.

With those cute moves by Hughes last game, where he lost the puck and they scored. Is he better defensively? I don' think so, but his skating looks good.

I watched Draisaitl in Petey's spot, when EDM is on the PP. His one-timer is like lightning - like Ovie's. They get their shots off so quick, which results in goals. Pettersson tends to use this big predictable windup and a slapper glove high, easy save most of the time - if he hits the net. Same predictable shot from the slot as previous years. I'm glad they have Podkolzin, drives the net, fearless, works hard. 

Edited by NUCKER67

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stay away from bridges, ledges, and open windows.  

Seriously, Benning had a great summer.  Our club is set up with elite skill, depth, and experience.  We are in for a fantastic year.  

No ones saying Benning didn't have a great summer, but this preseason was like getting the rugged ripped out under us.

We haven't played a single game yet and we're already missing 4 key guys. Our lines are a complete mess and the teams chemistry just doesn't seem to be there

I hope they can get it all sorted out quickly

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko was 0-3 in the preseason (11 goals against).  He's going to have to be a lot better.  Happy they have Halak as as backup.

Garland hasn't impressed me much (yet). Is he going to play on Bo's line?

With Hamonic out, for who knows how long, they need one more right shot defensive Dman with size. Schenn is okay and plays physical, but he's somewhat slow.

With those cute moves by Hughes last game, where he lost the puck and they scored. Is he better defensively? I don' think so, but his skating looks good.

I watched Draisaitl in Petey's spot, when EDM is on the PP. His one-timer is like lightning - like Ovie's. They get their shots off so quick, which results in goals. Pettersson tends to use this big predictable windup and a slapper glove high, easy save most of the time - if he hits the net. Same predictable shot from the slot as previous years. I'm glad they have Podkolzin, drives the net, fearless, works hard. 

Everyone &^@#ing thought so and preseason was the time to try it, but who knows at this point?

Green with another wasted preseason 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m feeling pretty bummed about this team and the season hasn’t even started yet. When Petey and Hughes signed, I was relieved, but there have been so many red flags popping up of late:

- putting Hamonic on waivers

- trading away Joulevi 

- Boeser’s injury status unknown

- team unable to gel or look sharp in preseason

- Often-injured Motte still out

- Often-injured Sutter still out (long-Covid?? That could be a forever-thing)

- losing Gadjovich on the waiver wire to the sharks

We as Canucks fans have been waiting years for a relatively healthy, competitive team. We have paid our dues. This needs to be a successful season. My patience is almost up. I already don’t like the fact this team is probably the softest team in the league right now. We need to win. Period.

But you have to look at it with a different lense. Watch:

1) 82 game season without watching Calgary 100 times, already better

2) Attendance allowed, win

3)Juolevi, Gadjovich are a dime a dozen. If people think these guys move the needle they are delusional. Yes I know these guys matter in a long year but they really don't. The Canucks can get these guys off the waiver wire any given Sunday.

4) Missing Motte, Sutter and Boeser hurt but whatever. When Sutter and Motte touch ice I refill my beer. The Canucks will never be 100% healthy just need to drive over the speed bump.

I don't care what anyone says I can't wait to watch 40 hit that one tee. Win or lose that's worth it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, -Moose said:

Everyone &^@#ing thought so and preseason was the time to try it, but who knows at this point?

Green with another wasted preseason 

Agree, Green tinkers to start the season and it takes him 20 or so games to figure things out. Tired of VAN chasing the pack of playoff teams.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2