The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

If that does end up being our bottom pair I expect the top 4 to be playing way too many minutes.

Too many minutes equals injury and fatigue and we can’t afford to lose any more depth.

This really makes the Juolevi trade even more baffling. How can we afford to lose more depth on D when we can barely patch together a top 6 as it is?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Hoglander is a better option than Pearson on that second line? Chaisson on the first. The first. Really, above Hoglander? Chaisson from pto to first line blows my mind. This organization sometimes.

Chiasson could just be a placeholder for Boeser? 

He doesn't even have a contract yet? 

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That 3rd pairing defence... Why play Rathbone all those games and trade OJ, only to have Rathbone be a 7th Dman?

And Petan as 3C? Gosh... Podz is going to have his work cut out for him to start out his career. Well, at least Green trusts him.

Yet another experimental lines that should have been tried out during the preseason.

Just load up the 3 lines and forget about your junior hockey protege Petan!!

Miller-EP-Chiasson (Boeser)

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Highmore-Dowling-Someone with size, speed, and grit that can help PK. Oh wait, we don't have anyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, khay said:

That 3rd pairing defence... Why play Rathbone all those games and trade OJ, only to have Rathbone be a 7th Dman?

And Petan as 3C? Gosh... Podz is going to have his work cut out for him to start out his career. Well, at least Green trusts him.

Yet another experimental lines that should have been tried out during the preseason.

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Highmore-Dowling-Someone with size, speed, and grit that can help PK. Oh wait, we don't have anyone.

Is that the line up Green is going to ice on Wednesday? Those exact lines?

12 minutes ago, khay said:

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Perhaps Greener is giving JR extra downtime and having a closer look at Burroughs before sending him down?  If they planned on running with 7 defensemen in the regular season, then Hunt and Rathbone rotate in until there are injuries.  They always say each year that guys have a chance to make the team during the preseason.  This year they kept to that word with Rathbone but in previous years it was lip service and Rathbone would have gone down without waivers (keeping Juolevi up).  They must really have not liked what they saw from OJ to have not played that card again this year.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt considering they see more of him in practices and off-ice vs what we see.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

If they planned on running with 7 defensemen in the regular season, then Hunt and Rathbone rotate in until there are injuries.  They always say each year that guys have a chance to make the team during the preseason.  This year they kept to that word with Rathbone but in previous years it was lip service and Rathbone would have gone down without waivers (keeping Juolevi up).  They must really have not liked what they saw from OJ to have not played that card again this year.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt considering they see more of him in practices and off-ice vs what we see.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The rumour is that Benning is going to announce that they are hiring two members of the Canucks CDC as assistants to the Sedins.

At this moment in time, the CDC members are voting to see who is going to work for the Canucks.  Some are upset and screaming for a recount. 

hitting the bag early?

46 minutes ago, khay said:

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

That looks better, thanks.....

Hopefully Petan is just a placeholder until Lammikko arrives because Petan is not an NHL player

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My guess is Green is just waiting until Lammikko gets here and the lineup will end up being:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Chiasson Dickinson Hoglander

Highmore Lammikko Podkolzin

My word I sure hope so

So... Is our roster all set?? I haven't heard anything yet about Chiasson and other fringe players... 

You guys think Hamonic still got a future with us? If he intended to return at some point, why would the team take the risk of losing him on waivers? 

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My guess is Green is just waiting until Lammikko gets here and the lineup will end up being:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Chiasson Dickinson Hoglander

Highmore Lammikko Podkolzin

I like this quite a bit. Motte can replace Chiasson when he's ready too.

7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

So... Is our roster all set?? I haven't heard anything yet about Chiasson and other fringe players... 

You guys think Hamonic still got a future with us? If he intended to return at some point, why would the team take the risk of losing him on waivers? 

Benning said they’ll decide by the end of today if they sign him. Looking pretty likely that they will.

Benning went over the Hamonic situation. He’s dealing with personal issues right now. He still sounds confident that it’s not a matter of if but when he’ll rejoin the team.

No team was gonna claim him. First of all not many teams have 3 million to throw at a player that they’re not sure wants to play for them.

Also it would be very disrespectful to claim a player when he’s dealing with personal issues. He signed a contract with Vancouver because he wants to play here. Benning said he talked to Hamonic and told him it was simply about opening up a roster spot.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Has Green played Horvat and Garland together that i missed? Or is that just CDC 2 line HOPES. Cuz it doesn’t seem to be Coach Greens.

again did i miss Horvat and Garland playing together this preseason?

I remember Garland with Miller, Garland with EP40 but I don’t recall Garland with Bo so why are people putting Horvat Garland as a line.

Edited by HockeyHarry

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benning said they’ll decide by the end of today if they sign him. Looking pretty likely that they will.

Benning went over the Hamonic situation. He’s dealing with personal issues right now. He still sounds confident that it’s not a matter of if but when he’ll rejoin the team.

No team was gonna claim him. First of all not many teams have 3 million to throw at a player that they’re not sure wants to play for them.

Also it would be very disrespectful to claim a player when he’s dealing with personal issues. He signed a contract with Vancouver because he wants to play here. Benning said he talked to Hamonic and told him it was simply about opening up a roster spot.

Thanks bud!!  That clarifies it all... I just thought there was a 2pm deadline today to finalize rosters. 

I'm more worried about Sutter's long haul covid effects... It's just so sad... He's a super awesome teammate and one of the leaders... I just hope he can get his life back to normal soon! 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2