The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

With regard to vitriolic responses, that’s not the case either. I’m just tired of and bored with the folks who can’t seem to balance the good with the bad and instead use their own negative projections to taint what actually is a very promising time for the team. 

This is CDC, man. There's no "balance" here. Unless it's something so glaringly apparent like Loui Player Name's performance that it can't be ignored, any opinion that isn't completely positive is normally dogpiled on. 

Or perhaps you're referring to me as some who can't "balance" the good and the bad, in which case I would suggest going over my posts before jumping to those types of conclusions. I'm generally quite positive, or at the very least balanced. But there are quite a few things happening right now that worry me, and I'm not going to be bullied into keeping quiet. Hughes will likely be on the roster sooner rather than later, but what's happening with Hamonic is likely going to result in him not being available to us and possibly even being waived, which creates a huge hole on the blueline. What makes it even worse is that, in addition to one of our better defensive Ds not  being available, 2 of our best defensive forwards don't look like they'll be available to us either. You can disagree all you want, but to handwaving it away as baseless negativity is dishonest.

23 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I keep hearing a lot of great stuff about Klimovich.. Does he have a shot at making the big club at all given injuries??

I would be shocked if he makes it.  Coming into the camp I would've been surprised if he made the AHL team and was expecting Danny (is that his most logical nickname?) in QJHL. 

The fact that he is making a strong case for AHL is pretty surprising.  I think reporters are zeroing in on his flashy skills though, his fundamentals might be a couple of years away at least if he keeps improving. 

Just my opinion based on everything that's been published about him. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would be shocked if he makes it.  Coming into the camp I would've been surprised if he made the AHL team and was expecting Danny (is that his most logical nickname?) in QJHL. 

The fact that he is making a strong case for AHL is pretty surprising.  I think reporters are zeroing in on his flashy skills though, his fundamentals might be a couple of years away at least if he keeps improving. 

Just my opinion based on everything that's been published about him. 

He looked much further ahead than I thought he’d be but it’d still be a real stretch to see him make the big club. I’ll be happy to see him play in Abby though because he’s slick with the puck, has a nice shot and looks really engaged. Looks like a good learner too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well good thing he’s having a good camp so far.

Doubt they risk losing him if he’s close. Can’t afford to lose young cheap players. Especially ones with size and grit that can score.

That would be big for the composition of our team.  

We will have to play teams like Calgary and Vegas a lot this year, and it won't be easy to matchup with their goons.  If Gadjovich doesn't make it, then I think it's almost a certainty that MacEwen starts in the top 13.  

Not sure if we can get away with both MacEwen and Gadjovich in the lineup...  maybe without Elias and if they beat out guys like DiGiuseppe, Highmore, etc...  

1 through 8 are pretty much guaranteed: Boeser, Horvat, Dickinson, Garland, Podkolzin, JT Miller, Hoglander, and Pearson.  

9 through 13 now get very interesting with Elias, Sutter ,Bailey, and Motte unavailable.  

Highmore, MacEwen, Gadjovich and Lockwood will have the inside track having already played for Green last year.  Di Giuseppe and Nic Petan have tons of NHL experience, comparatively speaking, and so should be just as much in the mix if not more then the four players that I just mentioned.  

I suspect that five out of those six players will fill slots 9 through 13 on our forward list.  Starting with all of Gadjovich, MacEwen and Di Giuseppe (plus counting for Podz and Dickie) would make us a very big team up front for once.  Who knows how well they would do with keeping the puck out of our net. 

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Teams pick up “tweener” prospects all the time.

Especially teams looking for size. He definitely gets picked up by a rebuilding team. Players with his toolbox are worth taking a flyer on.

Benning won’t lose Lind and Gadjovich in one offseason. He’s traded away too many picks to also start losing prospects that are close.

image.jpeg.9951112c143c8a1c0101902c95e78545.jpeg

nailed it. 

• Haha 1

Everybody was worried when Markstrom was put on the waiver wire, and he went through.  If Gadjovich is put on the waiver wire, I have a feeling he will get through also.  A lot of players are put on the waiver wire to send down to the AHL affiliates at the beginning of the season.  Most teams like their own prospects and will give them a chance before picking somebody else's up.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

I just thought it was a little ridiculous to say a guy looks completely lost out there in 4:55 of ice time… thats a little quick to jump to an assumption. Maybe the guy has been sitting around a bit? Hasnt seen much game action the past 2 years. Sat on the taxi squad for a bit. Played 19 games in the A last season and 38 the season prior? Dont you think you’re being a little overly critical of a guy who hasnt played a full game let alone a period worth of shifts?

The comment about the instigator penalty in a game when we are already out of playoffs? Seriously dude? Like really?? You dont give a kid any credit for stepping up and dropping the mitts in his debut, some fan you are bud.

image.gif.997ec6d2fb75f74a0eb33af6b0c2be48.gif

now where did i leave my give a ****, I can't see anything around here your ego's blocking my point of view. have a spectacular night mr.man

• RoughGame 4

If Nic Petan is the best player during training camp does he make the team? How good does he have to be to make the team? He is ideally a top 6 guy. Could he bump Horvat? 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Miller Petan Garland 

Pearson Horvat Podkozlin
Di Giseppe Dickenson Lockwood 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Everybody was worried when Markstrom was put on the waiver wire, and he went through.  If Gadjovich is put on the waiver wire, I have a feeling he will get through also.  A lot of players are put on the waiver wire to send down to the AHL affiliates at the beginning of the season.  Most teams like their own prospects and will give them a chance before picking somebody else's up.

With Motte and potentially Sutter out to start there’s as many as 4 spots up for grabs.

I see there being a battle between Lockwood and Highmore for one spot. Then we’ll see Chaisson, Gadjovich, MacEwan and potentially Bailey battling for the next three spots.

There’s lots of opportunity for Gadj to make it. Even if he just has an above average camp he should be on the opening roster.

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With Motte and potentially Sutter out to start there’s as many as 4 spots up for grabs.

I see there being a battle between Lockwood and Highmore for one spot. Then we’ll see Chaisson, Gadjovich, MacEwan and potentially Bailey battling for the next three spots.

There’s lots of opportunity for Gadj to make it. Even if he just has an above average camp he should be on the opening roster.

There maybe 4 spots, but for Gadj it's only 2.  He's not going to be the 13th forward, it's better for him to play games.  He's not a centreman, so that leaves 2 spots.  If he plays well enough and takes Motte's spot while he's injured.  That might change the conversation a little bit.  If he plays the start of the season and shows well, when Motte comes back, most likely he will be sent down to make room.  In this case, there is a bigger chance that Gadjovich would get picked up. 

But if he gets sent down with all the other teams waiver players, I believe he has a good chance of clearing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

If Nic Petan is the best player during training camp does he make the team? How good does he have to be to make the team? He is ideally a top 6 guy. Could he bump Horvat? 

Miller Petan Garland 

Pearson Horvat Podkozlin
Di Giseppe Dickenson Lockwood 

He has to be the best player after the exhibition games to even have a chance to make the team.  Highly unlikely.  Especially since veterans just go through exhibition to not get hurt, getting ready to start the regular season, trying to get some game action/timing down.  

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

There maybe 4 spots, but for Gadj it's only 2.  He's not going to be the 13th forward, it's better for him to play games.  He's not a centreman, so that leaves 2 spots.  If he plays well enough and takes Motte's spot while he's injured.  That might change the conversation a little bit.  If he plays the start of the season and shows well, when Motte comes back, most likely he will be sent down to make room.  In this case, there is a bigger chance that Gadjovich would get picked up. 

But if he gets sent down with all the other teams waiver players, I believe he has a good chance of clearing.

He’s played 3 seasons in the AHL and put up a point a game last season. He has nothing left to prove in that league.

He needs to be given a shot with the big club now. His mix of size skill and grit are just too good to give up on.

Losing him on waivers in order to give MacEwan or Bailey a spot would be beyond idiotic. Those two were given shots and would 100% clear waivers.

With Sutter out Miller can move to center and Dickinson can take the 4th line. I think we saw Green playing with that idea in practice.

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Chiasson Miller Garland 

Gadjovich Dickinson Lockwood/Highmore

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2