The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I hope not.

Hoping Dickinson can take a lot of the matchup roles. Want to see a lot more offence from the second line. When healthy:

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Hogs - Bo - Garland

Pearson- Dickinson - Pod

Gad - Sutter - Motte

Beagles line the last couple years took secondary responsibility defensively and handled PK duties. I am sure that won’t change.

Beagle is also much better at faceoffs than Dickinson so there’s an argument that Horvat’s line will probably start more draws vs top end lines since you want possession vs them. 

One of the 3rd/4th lines will be used more 5v5 than anything. I expect that line to harbour more young players. 

There might be an off-chance Miller is a C too, given that he’s with Garland and Pod. I would expect him and Petey’s line to make up the offensive lines in this sort of scenario. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I haven't heard 1 word about Dickinson so far in this camp.  Anyone have any insight as to how he looks?

Good question. He’s flown under the radar a bit. Almost the same with Poolman but he apparently looks good with OEL and he skates well from what I have seen. 

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Podz looks way better in the drills than the scrimmage. I think the gears are turning too fast in his mind in the game and it sort of paralyzes him. Only gonna get better.

His mind is in the process of switching from one hockey system (Russian) to another one (North American). The better someone is in one camp, the more difficult would be for him  to adapt to another...

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You DON'T waive Gadj..no way. Would waive OJ(yeah, I know, diff positions) before JG. Don't risk it.

I haven't had a chance to check video clips... Who got a better chance to stick between Gadj and Lockwood?? Also, I think MacEwen is under threat to keep his job if he doesn't show more... Chiasson is sniffing his lunch!! 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I haven't heard 1 word about Dickinson so far in this camp.  Anyone have any insight as to how he looks?

I don't think he plays a game that really sticks out much, I think he's more of a settle things down type of player, just from what I've seen of him in Dallas.

He's not likely going to pull people's eyes away from Lockwood, Podkolzin, Klimovich etc, he'll just play a nice safe game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

is this new from last year? just wondering if this is some of Shaw's influence. 

Likely just getting the new guys onto the same page.  I just noticed how deep Garland, the off-side winger, came down into the slot.  Green clearly wants that winger on the near post and low.  Interesting.  

• Vintage 2

37 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I second this. If Motte and Sutter are out to start the season 

Hoglander Pete Boeser

Garland Bo Pearsson

Gadjo Miller Podzilla 

Lockwood Dicky Highmore

Zack

You have to have at minimum 4 good penalty killers at forward. This line-up means Bo, Miller, and Pearson have to kill penalties. Nevermind that none of them are even good at it, we don't want Bo and Miller used up on the PK. Unfortunately most of the guys battling for spots need to be good on the PK. Guys like Gadjovich, Lockwood, Big Mac and even Podz have a tough road to making the team since they are bottom six wingers that won't be on the penalty kill. AKA, the least important player on the team.

Edited by FlyLow_

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think he plays a game that really sticks out much, I think he's more of a settle things down type of player, just from what I've seen of him in Dallas.

He's not likely going to pull people's eyes away from Lockwood, Podkolzin, Klimovich etc, he'll just play a nice safe game. 

Ya I tend to agree. Dickinsons game has no flash to attract eyes so if he’s playing well you won’t notice him 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1