The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I am not happy about the Hamonic situation and think that it hurts our overall defensive makeup.  I think that JB did a great job of providing the type of rhd we needed to support our more skills lhd and also added OEL.  This defense made more sense and was well balanced.  Hopefully Hamonic is back with the team.

If not, I hope JB doesn't rush to spend that cap space.  There isn't much out there.  I think we still have a strong group.

OEL Myers  

I think Myers is better than most.  He was a beast in the bubble.  If he is told to sit back and ride shot gun for OEL, I think they could be a great pair.  His reach and speed make him a good partner for OEL, imho.

Hughes Poolman  Tucker seems like the steady hand that Hughes needs at 5 on 5.  He played with Morrisey alot in Winnipeg and suits that role.

OJ/Schenn/Rathbone/Hunt/Bowie  The best 2 can fill in the balance of the minutes.  

We have 3 guys capable of playing well over 20 minutes a night.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2

All the talk about Hamonic joining camp . If the reason he is not in camp now is because he is not vaccinated than even if he got vaccinated today he wouldn't be fully vaccinated for 21/2 months ? would he even be allowed to play and travel before than ? what about the rule for Vaccination to be in Rogers arena would he be allowed in  at this point ? how would the other players react after what they all went through earlier this year ?  couldn't get these thoughts out of my head as I keep hearing people talk as if it is just a matter of him showing up . Hope I am totally wrong and he is joining the team soon 

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Speculation on Hamonic.  Folks should remember his child is fairly ill, one reason he wanted out of NYI and went to the Peg was to be closer to family.  

Even if he was vaccinated, which he would be entirely wrong not too. It isn’t going to hurt a big tuff hockey player.  Why are people still not able to comprehend that they have all survived vaccines, if not they would have had measles, polio, typhoid and small pox.  

the vaccine will not kill you, very few side effects, but it won’t stop you from infecting others who can’t take the vaccine like kids under 12 and certain high risk groups that depend on herd immunity from the rest of us, like those with cancer and childhood diseases, like Hamonic’s kid if I recall.  

makes coming home from the US road trip a lot different than it used to be. 

maybe he doesn’t want to come home, give his child a hug and do to some kid in his locker room partying that week before all over the US, his child catches Covid.  

that would make me as a parent think twice.  

Don’t disagree with this sentiment but this was the state when he signed the contract so unless the state has changed he did not sign the contract in good faith and it looks really bad on him.  As I said previously I will not pass judgment without the facts because the state could have changed or this situation could be covered by an out clause in his contract, we will not know until it’s over.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Speculation on Hamonic.  Folks should remember his child is fairly ill, one reason he wanted out of NYI and went to the Peg was to be closer to family.  

Even if he was vaccinated, which he would be entirely wrong not too. It isn’t going to hurt a big tuff hockey player.  Why are people still not able to comprehend that they have all survived vaccines, if not they would have had measles, polio, typhoid and small pox.  

the vaccine will not kill you, very few side effects, but it won’t stop you from infecting others who can’t take the vaccine like kids under 12 and certain high risk groups that depend on herd immunity from the rest of us, like those with cancer and childhood diseases, like Hamonic’s kid if I recall.  

makes coming home from the US road trip a lot different than it used to be. 

maybe he doesn’t want to come home, give his child a hug and do to some kid in his locker room partying that week before all over the US, his child catches Covid.  

that would make me as a parent think twice.  

I heard someone mention that it could be that he is vaccinated but now that we know that though it's much less likely, you can still contract and transmit the virus and that he's worried he will contract it and be asymptomatic and pass it to his daughter.

No idea if that's true, but it does make some sense

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I heard someone mention that it could be that he is vaccinated but now that we know that though it's much less likely, you can still contract and transmit the virus and that he's worried he will contract it and be asymptomatic and pass it to his daughter.

He can afford to set up separate residences and screen himself from his daughter. Even a close hotel. He could create another level of barrier from possibly infecting his daughter.

I'm sure the team would provide test kits for him. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He can afford to set up separate residences and screen himself from his daughter. Even a close hotel. He could create another level of barrier from possibly infecting his daughter.

I'm sure the team would provide test kits for him. 

If that were true, I'm sure those would be things he'd be considering.  Still, is that any way to live?  

To me, that explanation makes way more sense than he is an anti vaxxer

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's just it. we don't know. someone puts a reason to it and everyone follows on and make it bigger. lets get the right story. people are too quick to spin a story their way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think there is a better than 50/50 chance that he opts out of playing this season. If that is the case it really puts a wrecking ball to an already shaky defence core.

Yup, that's a worst case scenario and, even if his reasons are just, that's a crappy thing for TH to do to the team.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

If that were true, I'm sure those would be things he'd be considering.  Still, is that any way to live?  

To me, that explanation makes way more sense than he is an anti vaxxer

I'm sure he's just as confused as all of us are. Vax no Vax, safety protocols, how contagious is it etc. 

Sounds like he wants to err on the side of caution. Can't really blame him for wanting to protect his daughter. Last year between the strict regulations and me getting sick I missed an absolute tonne of time with my family. 

Travel is a big part of hockey which he knew when he signed his contract. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm sure he's just as confused as all of us are. Vax no Vax, safety protocols, how contagious is it etc. 

Sounds like he wants to err on the side of caution. Can't really blame him for wanting to protect his daughter. Last year between the strict regulations and me getting sick I missed an absolute tonne of time with my family. 

No argument here, his reasons are legit.  However, this isn't new and if he was having doubts he should never have signed a contract.  JB would have been able to find a different option then........now, he's pretty much screwed.

• Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't see any confusion there. TH being vaccinated would make it safer for his family. Going into arenas, airports, and other public places, that have no protocols in effect, not so much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

There’s always Woo.  Pare him with Rathbone and watch the ensuing hilarity.  On a serious not Harmonic has put Benning in a tight spot.  We’re THIN on the right side.  If injuries happen then what?  Wooooo it is.  

Disagree 100%, as do Cull and 3000 Utica fans. 

They were amazing paired together for Rathbone's 8 games there last season, before his call up.  His chemistry and success with Woo is what gained him his promotion to the big club ( skill, too, ofc)

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I don't see any confusion there. TH being vaccinated would make it safer for his family. Going into arenas, airports, and other public places, that have no protocols in effect, not so much.

Vaccines weren't evenly embraced by all at first. Even now there are estimates of 20% holding out. And I think you have to show your vaccine card almost everywhere now. 

36 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think there is a better than 50/50 chance that he opts out of playing this season. If that is the case it really puts a wrecking ball to an already shaky defence core.

I think there's better than a 50/50 probability that the word "vaccination " or "vax" will appear more often in this thread than "defenceman" or "RHD"

• Vintage 1

Interesting piece today by SBNation. - a PTO for RHD Jason Demers ...

Jason Demers

Demers brings many attributes to the table that the Canucks would surely like to add to their backend. He’s reliable defensively and can easily be deployed against the top players of opposing teams at even strength or even the penalty kill. In addition to that, he always adds a layer of snarl to the lineup and his experience of almost 700 games in the league would make him a great mentor for the younger players on the blueline.

Furthermore, He spent the last 4 seasons with the Coyotes, predominantly playing on a pairing with newly acquired Oliver Ekman-Larsson so there is some familiarity there as well.

However, the potential red flag here is the fact that Demers may not be all too intrigued with the idea of playing for the Canucks. According to TSN’s Pierre Lebrun, Demers nixed a trade to Vancouver back in 2017 in a deal that would have seen Erik Gudbranson heading back to Florida. Regardless though, there is a significant difference between what the Canucks roster looked like then as opposed to now, and especially if Travis Hamonic isn’t available to this team for the next little bit, bringing in Demers would definitely be a low-risk high-reward counter approach.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I think there's better than a 50/50 probability that the word "vaccination " or "vax" will appear more often in this thread than "defenceman" or "RHD"

No argument from me on that. My only concern is how his absence is going to affect the team. He has put JB in a bad spot in trying to fill the void that it would create if he opts out.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

No argument here, his reasons are legit.  However, this isn't new and if he was having doubts he should never have signed a contract.  JB would have been able to find a different option then........now, he's pretty much screwed.

I would agree - except there are new considerations that didn't exist before.

On one hand, the argument that maybe it's about his daughter, I don't see how that holds water as those conditions are the same as last year when he played.

On the other hand, maybe the new announcement that everyone has to vaxed is the conundrum. For example, perhaps he's not anti-vax (or even already vaccinated) but believes that people should have uninhibited freedom to choose what they'll do - the new revelation of the clubs policy (which I personally agree with wholeheartedly) could be a philosophical departure.

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

No argument from me on that. My only concern is how his absence is going to affect the team. He has put JB in a bad spot in trying to fill the void that it would create if he opts out.

Jim seems pretty sympathetic on this tho. So whatever the real reason is he's trying to let Hamonic work it out, which I have a lot of respect for.

But losing TH might not be the worst thing. It gives us a little more wiggle room for a longer deal for Petey, and we might end up picking up a good player for free off waivers.

I do think a trade might be too hard to pull off. CBJ needs RHD even more than we do so that might be a fit but it all depends on the reason for the holdout.