The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No home matinee games again this year!

Rate this topic

Roberts

Alright so almost 6 years ago the very first thread I ever posted on CDC was a complaint that the Canucks didn't have any home afternoon games that year, well, here I am again! There are no home afternoon games this season, and it seems like every year there are less and less. Afternoon games are the perfect opportunity for those of us who don't live in Vancouver to come out for the day and catch a game without having to pay a lot to stay overnight. Perhaps this year they are just trying to limit the amount of people coming over because of COVID, but this has been a trend for years, and they are still hosting a 4:00pm home game against Toronto.

Here's my first ever thread, for the memories:

Edited by Roberts

I really enjoyed going to the afternoon games.  I had the Ice Pack for a couple of Seasons, and then I decided to watch games at home, and go to afternoon games when they occurred.  I live in Seattle, so it was great to go up to Vancouver for the day and then come home that day.  When I had the Ice Pack or would go to the evening games, I would usually fly up to Vancouver and stay at a hotel and then come home, which added up in cost. That was before 2019 and I have not been to Vancouver in a long time.  The border opened up for Americans to travel to Canada, but I'm not crossing the border at this time.  

I have half season tickets to the Seattle Kraken and I will see how that goes.  I'm looking forward to the Montreal game, and I checked the price for a ticket to the Vancouver game, and boy that is pricey and so is the Montreal game. Tickets for the Kraken games are one of the hottest tickets in town.  I'm not into football, but I think Seahawks tickets are in demand as well.  I know nothing about football, but hockey is my thing, especially the Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks. 

• Thanks 1

• Roberts changed the title to No home matinee games again this year!

I personally Hate Matinee games, but can understand why some would like them.  But if you took a poll I don't think many would want them.  They are good for families that want to go to the games for sure but on the flip side the TV views drop considerably.

8 hours ago, Roberts said:

Alright so almost 6 years ago the very first thread I ever posted on CDC was a complaint that the Canucks didn't have any home afternoon games that year, well, here I am again! There are no home afternoon games this season, and it seems like every year there are less and less. Afternoon games are the perfect opportunity for those of us who don't live in Vancouver to come out for the day and catch a game without having to pay a lot to stay overnight. Perhaps this year they are just trying to limit the amount of people coming over because of COVID, but this has been a trend for years, and they are still hosting a 4:00pm home game against Toronto.

Here's my first ever thread, for the memories:

they're also the perfect opportunity to lose your TV ad revenue because people don't want to spend their weekend afternoons on the couch. 

It would be awesome for me living in port alberni. Its an hour long drive to wait for 30 to 40 minutes at the ferry terminal. Then another 2 hours until you get off the boat and after all that you still have to drive or bus for another hour.

Even if i walk on its usually around 200-350 bucks for tickets, bus, gas, ferry ride and parking at the terminal. Add a hotel room on that and its well over 450. Afternoon games save so much cash on whats already an expensive trip

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

they're also the perfect opportunity to lose your TV ad revenue because people don't want to spend their weekend afternoons on the couch. 

Depends on the culture - in the UK people do exactly that with football games. 3pm kickoff is standard, most sports start in the early afternoon. 

however I’m well aware that’s the UK and games in NA are often evening events. 

I hated matinee games ever since Lui got injured against Pittsburgh in one.

That said, I don't mind matinee games because the game ends and I still get my night, whereas regular games start at 9PM for me and I'm in bed at about 1130.

2 hours ago, c00kies said:

I hated matinee games ever since Lui got injured against Pittsburgh in one.

That said, I don't mind matinee games because the game ends and I still get my night, whereas regular games start at 9PM for me and I'm in bed at about 1130.

Beats the 3:30 4:30 am face off times here 

4 hours ago, Wash said:

I took my son to games in 2018 and the fall of 2019 and the matinee games were ideal.   It is disappointing to hear that there aren't any this year.  I guess April 3 against Vegas at 4:00 PM will be the one I'll try for.

same here. definitely avoiding the 4:00 PM game against the Leafs, tickets will probably be way too expensive and too many leafs fans.

6 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Us Canucks fans not in bc is hard, puck drop is 8 and ends around 10:30-11, very hard during the work week to watch the full games. 

I know, my fault for being where I am but I would do anything for even a 6:30 bc start lol 

I'm in Ontario so the games start at 10 pm for me, it gets tough near the end of the game.