The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

12 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

And people thought paying a 6’4 RHD in Poolman $2.500,000  dollars a year was Way Too Much.  I think he looked really good tbh.  A stay at home physical d we really needed.  And he skates better than I thought he would.  Perfect fit for Rathbone  

Hes surprisingly mobile

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Seems like, with so much on the line, enforcement should be high priority.

well considering you have to be fully vaccinated to go to games it's really not that big of a deal.. all players are vaccinated all staff are vaccinated all workers are vaccinated all spectators are vaccinated

• Like 1

Btw I think Gadjovich and Lockwood have to be early favourites to earn those bottom forward spots.  

Until we sign Petey, we actually have four spots up for grabs, one of which should be a center.  

Wouters, Lockwood, Gadjovich, Dowling, Di Giuseppe, Highmore, Petan, MacEwen and Chiasson.  

My money's on DiGiuseppe, Dowling, Lockwood and Gadjovich.  

Only 2 games in, but who has stood out so far in preseason?  And who did you expect more from?  Who surprised you? 

I expected Rathbone to have a great camp and preseason, I’m surprised with our D especially Poolman.  Also think Gadjovich had a strong game.  I expected more from Juolevi. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Perhaps people with conservative views should stop saying stupid things.  Let's start there and see how that goes first

People with "progressive" views, also say stupid things. Many, many stupid things. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think it's a stretch to see them both on the roster with OJ starting out as an extra. 

My view: While you may well be right on this, I see it as not doing either player, or the team, any service by having both in the NHL at this time.

Rathbone plays a type of game where he is going to be slotted in the bottom pairing (if he isn't, then one of the two guys ahead of him need to be traded or placed on the IR...). The bottom pairing on the Canucks will (probably) be used to soak up any 5 v 5 time not taken by Ekman-Larsson or Hughes (ie. most of the time the bottom pairing would see would be in defensive situations in the Canucks' end of the ice), and to play lots of minutes on the PK. I don't see Rathbone adequately filling this role, at least not right now. Combine this with him being able to be safely sent to Abbottsford, where he can get lots of development time, argues in favour of him being sent down. Should injuries occur, he would then be a safe call up.

Juolevi can continue to develop his game at the NHL level, playing a style which is (perhaps) better suited, and needed more than that of a third offensive LD-man Trying to send Juolevi to the AHL risks him being taken on waivers. If the team is seriously considering such a move, then I would suggest that they try to trade him.

40 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wonder what happens with Hamonic too.

Assuming Hamonic plays, and assuming Rathbone is placed in the minors, the Canucks could keep other D-men (Schenn, Hunt?) with the team rather than risk sending one of them to the AHL.

Lots of flexibility.

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, beauj said:

People with "progressive" views, also say stupid things. Many, many stupid things. 

To be sure, but conservatives are so much more prolific at it lately 

Honestly, I don't equate conservatives to anti vaxxers, who have historically been far to the left.  

• Like 2