The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hes just too loose in his own end.  When he gets up against good NHL'ers that style is going to get exploited.  

I'm not sure why you picked a clip that shows him up around the blue line and then giving the puck right to a Calgary dman.

That said, he was better defensively tonight, but against significantly inferior talent to last night

He’s not actually, I think his puck possession skills make up for any defensive errors he makes.  It’s his skating that makes him a good defensive d as well. 

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Only 2 games in, but who has stood out so far in preseason?  And who did you expect more from?  Who surprised you? 

I expected Rathbone to have a great camp and preseason, I’m surprised with our D especially Poolman.  Also think Gadjovich had a strong game.  I expected more from Juolevi. 

Well, Rathbone had a good first game as far as offense goes (with some luck thrown in), but in either game he didn't show much on the defensive side which would recommend to me him staying. Myers looks "better" than he has been. Poolman has looked pretty good, and Gadjovich had a couple of good chances in close, and set up the second goal with a nice pass. I also like Chiasson, but has he played well enough for a seat on the bench or in the press box remains to be seen. The back-up goalies are fighting well for places in the AHL.

I think Juolevi is being tested by Green, not just in a "can Juolevi play hockey?" kind of way, but for mental toughness. I think the kid will pull through and win a job.

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

Perhaps people with conservative views should stop saying stupid things.  Let's start there and see how that goes first

Perhaps people should also not automatically generalize/label millions of other people as stupid the moment they hear they have "conservative views"

But don't let me tell you how to live. Sounds like you got it all figured out. 

Edited by cdgraham
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, Rathbone had a good first game as far as offense goes (with some luck thrown in), but in either game he didn't show much on the defensive side which would recommend to me him staying. Myers looks "better" than he has been. Poolman has looked pretty good, and Gadjovich had a couple of good chances in close, and set up the second goal with a nice pass. I also like Chiasson, but has he played well enough for a seat on the bench or in the press box remains to be seen. The back-up goalies are fighting well for places in the AHL.

I think Juolevi is being tested by Green, not just in a "can Juolevi play hockey?" kind of way, but for mental toughness. I think the kid will pull through and win a job.

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

I hate to do this but it’s just a reality check. Juolevi just can’t do this.  He can’t.  

Well there’s one just off the top.  There were many others too

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Here’s another one. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Well there’s one just off the top.  There were many others too

Can you find one for me? IIRC it's early in the 1st period, and Rathbone fires the puck across the ice, pretty low down, and it's almost intercepted by a Calgary forward. 

I believe that you have the wrong impression of me regarding Rathbone and Juolevi. I don't got me a dog in this fight. But I do see one of these guys (right now) being the better choice to remain with the Canucks, and that guy is Juolevi (see the previously stated reasons).

Rathbone looks to be a good skater. He has (limited data) shown a flair for offense. He is lacking on the defensive side. I believe he can improve with lots of ice time, which he can get in Abbottsford. If he stays in Vancouver, playing limited minutes, do you see him improving this season to the level that he will be taking away time from Ekman-Larsson and Hughes? I don't. 

Should the Canucks keep Rathbone in the NHL, then good on him and good luck to the team. What the fallout of that decision will be ....

regards,  G.

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Here’s another one. 

OMG, this so changing my position on Rathbone, that he has good offensive talents, and can now and then make a decent defensive play, but that is where his greatest liability lies .... which was pretty much how I felt prior to training camp, so I guess it's not really doing anything.  :)

Not sure what this is supposed to support, other than Rathbone caught a guy who was off balance and then hit him along the boards.

None of your counters really do much of anything to argue against my thoughts why Rathbone, and the team, would be better off if he started the season in Abbottsford.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

People I find hilarious are the ones that thought they had a player all figured out.  The old stereotypes and tired first glance judgements. To have that player push back against their preconceived notions but then to have this new reality so nonchalantly dismissed like it didn’t happen.   Lol. Those people are hilarious.  

• RoughGame 1

26 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Rathbone looks to be a good skater. He has (limited data) shown a flair for offense. He is lacking on the defensive side. I believe he can improve with lots of ice time, which he can get in Abbottsford. If he stays in Vancouver, playing limited minutes, do you see him improving this season to the level that he will be taking away time from Ekman-Larsson and Hughes? I don't. 

I get what you're saying G, and although I would rather watch Rathbone play, I do think that Juolevi fits the roster better.  

If Rathbone goes down to AHL it won't be the end of the world.  I expect him to at least get about 20 NHL games this year.  He'll be one of the first callups.  

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

People I find hilarious are the ones that thought they had a player all figured out.  The old stereotypes and tired first glance judgements. To have that player push back against their preconceived notions but then to have this new reality so nonchalantly dismissed like it didn’t happen.   Lol. Those people are hilarious.  

51 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I hate to do this but it’s just a reality check. Juolevi just can’t do this.  He can’t.  

:rolleyes:

I'm very excited for Rathbone, but you're guilty of doing the exact same thing of "figuring out" a player with such small samples. We have no idea how Rathbone will do with bigger opposition. Quite frankly, we don't know if he's a bust or not yet. Maybe we should rein in the enthusiasm a bit until he plays more games? The way that you're praising Rathbone, you might as well give him the Norris. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

59 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

My view: While you may well be right on this, I see it as not doing either player, or the team, any service by having both in the NHL at this time.

Rathbone plays a type of game where he is going to be slotted in the bottom pairing (if he isn't, then one of the two guys ahead of him need to be traded or placed on the IR...). The bottom pairing on the Canucks will (probably) be used to soak up any 5 v 5 time not taken by Ekman-Larsson or Hughes (ie. most of the time the bottom pairing would see would be in defensive situations in the Canucks' end of the ice), and to play lots of minutes on the PK. I don't see Rathbone adequately filling this role, at least not right now. Combine this with him being able to be safely sent to Abbottsford, where he can get lots of development time, argues in favour of him being sent down. Should injuries occur, he would then be a safe call up.

Juolevi can continue to develop his game at the NHL level, playing a style which is (perhaps) better suited, and needed more than that of a third offensive LD-man Trying to send Juolevi to the AHL risks him being taken on waivers. If the team is seriously considering such a move, then I would suggest that they try to trade him.

Assuming Hamonic plays, and assuming Rathbone is placed in the minors, the Canucks could keep other D-men (Schenn, Hunt?) with the team rather than risk sending one of them to the AHL.

Lots of flexibility.

regards,  G.

I could see Rathbone up and down the NHL/AHL but I think he should start the year in the NHL as it stands. OEL can be used in all situations and you have the option of having Rathbone as the PP2 defenseman which would free up OEL a bit more while giving Rathbone more of a role. IMO Rathbone has earned the spot so far and he should be rewarded by starting the year as 3rd LD barring the rest of camp.

If/When Hamonic comes back we'd have 4 PK D available. I think Green would be okay with 2 RD on one PK. He uses Myers on the PK with other D usually and we have used two lefties there before.

OJ should stick on the roster as an extra. He will definitely get opportunities to play and prove himself. He has played well on the PK and has been steadily average overall 5v5 these past 2 preseason games. He plays a quiet game which isn't a bad thing.

I also think it would be good having OJ start as an extra. It would put a fire in him. He needs a bit of that right now. Whenever he was taken out of the lineup and brought back in last year he came back stronger(besides when COVID hit). I remember always seeing clips during the season post practice where he was always working on his game. In this sense I could see both on the roster.

Greener said he liked OJ's game today and said Rathbone's D was improved this game. Greener really loved OEL tonight though.