The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

sure.. keep thinking that way. If you are ok with drafting a kid, homegrow him for 3-4 years and then losing him for nothing as he enters NHL age because we had to try a 31 year old at powerplay. You should be ok with the crappy Canucks hockey team you are seeing now. 

Yeah I'm totally ok with that. All players age out if they're not good enough when their ELC runs out. That's life in the NHL. What I'm not ok with is gifting some middling prospect a roster spot all year simply because he was drafted by the club. If NHL clubs ran their teams like this the NHL would be full of garbage players. It's laughable that you think Gadjovich has anything to do with our current standing. Actually, if anything he'll be very lucky to stay in the NHL this year and in the future.

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Gadjovich is a healthy scratch on the San Jose Sharks. :bored: I'm not losing any sleep over losing this mediocre talent. To be honest I was very underwhelmed at his 5v5 game. He isn't some big energy guy as you suggest and doesn't play a rounded game. His 1 assist and one fight (wooo) in 4 games isn't worth worrying over in my opinion, and certainly he hasn't done any better than Chiasson.

He's certainly done better than a useless sack of garbage who's main purpose is to make our PP suck.  Chiasson is a massive liability 5 on 5 as well.  I'll take a guy who brings something of value instead, despite the warts over a worthless AHL plug.

There was no reason to gift Chiasson a roster spot other than incompetent coach who cannot be trusted to set the lineup properly.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gadjovich was rolling with us and playing with confidence until we put him on waivers.

Then he had to sit for almost two weeks before playing on a new team with a new coach and new systems. He lost all of his momentum.

I guarantee if he was given Chiasson’s role he would have made more of an impact.

Hoepfully if he goes on waivers they reclaim him.

I have my doubts. I seriously doubt Gadjovich has anywhere near a career like Chiasson, nor will he even be consistently as good as Chiasson is now at the end of his NHL career. This is crying over spilt milk imo. It would be nice to stick him in the AHL for a year if it works out that way but I couldn't really care less.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I have my doubts. I seriously doubt Gadjovich has anywhere near a career like Chiasson, nor will he even be consistently as good as Chiasson is now at the end of his NHL career. This is crying over spilt milk imo. It would be nice to stick him in the AHL for a year if it works out that way but I couldn't really care less.

I highly doubt he would be possibly be worse than Chiasson has been for us this year.  Regardless of Chiasson's history, he is currently nowhere close to being good enough to be an NHLer without the assistance of nepotism from Green. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I highly doubt he would be possibly be worse than Chiasson has been for us this year.  Regardless of Chiasson's history, he is currently nowhere close to being good enough to be an NHLer without the assistance of nepotism from Green. 

You seem to dramatically over emphasize the contributions of 4th liners in the NHL. There are a lot of similarly skilled players fighting for fourth line duties on other teams. You also think half of the dmen in the NHL are AHLers ;) so your viewpoints aren't exactly fair or based in the real world. At the end of the day neither player moves the needle one way or the other. It's a pretty ho hum situation but of course you're also trying to throw Green under the bus at the same time.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

You seem to dramatically over emphasize the contributions of 4th liners in the NHL. There are a lot of similarly skilled players fighting for fourth line duties on other teams. You also think half of the dmen in the NHL are AHLers ;) so your viewpoints aren't exactly fair or based in the real world. At the end of the day neither player moves the needle one way or the other. It's a pretty ho hum situation but of course you're also trying to throw Green under the bus at the same time.

Fourth liners are supposed to be able to contribute at least something though, which Chiasson does not do.  I'm not sure how you can absolve Green from blame for this useless plug making the team.  As for defence, I wouldn't say half of the dmen are AHLers; it's really only Toronto and Edmonton that refuse to require their D to play like NHLers in their own zone.  I have no use for a defenseman who can't play defence and never will.  At the end of the day, playing a guy who has potential to do something useful is a much smarter idea than a useless bum in Chiasson.

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Who cares about careers? We’re talking about what each player brings now.

At least when Gadjovich was on he hits and fights. That’s more than Chiasson can say.

Also Choasson is a fourth liner who was getting 1st powerplay unit time (hard to believe). Gadjovich gets those minutes and I guarantee he’s score a couple by now. That’s his wheelhouse in front of the net.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

At least when Gadjovich was on he hits and fights. That’s more than Chiasson can say.

Also Choasson is a fourth liner who was getting 1st powerplay unit time (hard to believe). Gadjovich gets those minutes and I guarantee he’s score a couple by now. That’s his wheelhouse in front of the net.

I never saw all these great plays from him. It feels more like you hope he could, not like he did. He fought once in his debut on a new team. Big whoop. I'm not seeing these great contributions that you are. He looked slow and behind the play 5v5 when I watched.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Also, even if someone believes chaisson is better than JG right now then the next question would be who is more likely to improve? 

Chaisson won't be in the league for long, he barely made our team on a pto. 

If JG only improves 10% he'll at least be a career 4th liner with 10 yrs left on his career and he may do better than that. 

Letting him go was a screw up no matter how you slice it. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

If we’re comparing him to the guy that took his spot Chiasson has brought very little.

How anyone can argue we should have kept a PTO guy that looks like he should of retired over our own up and coming prospect that we’ve developed for 4 years is beyond me.

One guy had the potential to improve while the other guy will likely only get worse.

Impossible to argue with your post...its bang on!

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

If we’re comparing him to the guy that took his spot Chiasson has brought very little.

How anyone can argue we should have kept a PTO guy that looks like he should of retired over our own up and coming prospect that we’ve developed for 4 years is beyond me.

One guy had the potential to improve while the other guy will likely only get worse.

Ditto: Chasen is Greens pet project and will keep feeding this disaster to prove a meaningless point - that he is the coach and he determines who plays.   

At this point,  Iam just going to watch Green crash & burn at his own hands cause he will not change.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

15 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And Chiasson hasn't?

Not worse than Gadjovich. The difference is Chiasson can actually read the 5v5 game of hockey where Gadjovich hasn't shown that ability in much capacity yet. You guys are coming off like classically impatient fans. The team is struggling, the NHL is extremely competitive but hey let's pick a fourth line guy, crucify him and pretend a guy with one lifetime assist is some kind of savior and therefore the Coach and GM are the only idiots standing in the way of the CUP.

Okay then. S e l f D e n i a l Have it your way and pretend Gadjovich is some kind of star. :huh: It really doesn't bother me if your misplaced hate leads you here. I have no problem with an NHL group choosing the better player (even marginally) instead of basing spots off of age. Age should only be considered if two candidates are hopelessly deadlocked.

I watched the Sharks game yesterday. Another game of absolutely nothing from Gadj besides a tide turning missed breakaway. I also asked the HF Sharks board about him yesterday and several guys mentioned that they like his style even though he hasn't done anything but also a lot of

image.thumb.png.0e6fddb019025beb6236c6164aafb6a3.png

Here you go boys @DeNiro@ShawnAntoski Enjoy: :lol:

image.jpeg.f2c59cfbb4e40003f4ff3b19c8453e0c.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

et's pick a fourth line guy, crucify him and pretend a guy with one lifetime assist is some kind of saviour

Could you find, and quote ANY poster that had labelled Gads as a "savior"

Or are you just making up things to fight about?

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not worse than Gadjovich. The difference is Chiasson can actually read the 5v5 game of hockey where Gadjovich hasn't shown that ability in much capacity yet. You guys are coming off like classically impatient fans. The team is struggling, the NHL is extremely competitive but hey let's pick a fourth line guy, crucify him and pretend a guy with one lifetime assist is some kind of savior and therefore the Coach and GM are the only idiots standing in the way of the CUP.

Okay then. S e l f D e n i a l Have it your way and pretend Gadjovich is some kind of star. :huh: It really doesn't bother me if your misplaced hate leads you here. I have no problem with an NHL group choosing the better player (even marginally) instead of basing spots off of age. Age should only be considered if two candidates are hopelessly deadlocked.

I watched the Sharks game yesterday. Another game of absolutely nothing from Gadj besides a tide turning missed breakaway. I also asked the HF Sharks board about him yesterday and several guys mentioned that they like his style even though he hasn't done anything but also a lot of

image.thumb.png.0e6fddb019025beb6236c6164aafb6a3.png

Here you go boys @DeNiro@ShawnAntoski Enjoy: :lol:

image.jpeg.f2c59cfbb4e40003f4ff3b19c8453e0c.jpeg

Personally, it was just about potential with Gadj VS ChaseOn.  As you stated: ChaseOn can read plays better and that is because he has some years on Gadj.   Gadj is only 23 and with the right coach & opportunity he can develope in the NHL or he can bust out - who knows, whereas, with ChaseOn his NHL career seems to be about done (?).   Outside of the experience factor both seems to offer the same things with Gadj PROBABLY having more finish around the net.  Anyways, Green chose ChaseOn and I wish Gadj all the best in SJ.

It seems obvious you support this decision cause you took the time to do a deep dive and to make it known.  Perhaps give Gadj a few years. 

Just wondering what is the point you want to make with this post ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Could you find, and quote ANY poster that had labelled Gads as a "savior"

Or are you just making up things to fight about?

No, it would nice if you followed the thread. I'm was talking about these guys losing their marbles over a fourth line position where neither player has done anything of significance ... (well our guy does have two goals) and it's pretty hard to prove one way or another at this point. I guess that makes me an ahole for trusting the guys that actually attend practices and have fulltime jobs to make these evaluations.

You know what I will retract everything I said. I'm definitely not looking for a fight, I am going to enjoy some Sunday Football. It's ironic I'm getting slammed for defending our players though. If you believe he's that good and it needs to repeated over and over ad nauseum I'll just sit back and watch the Gadj and the Sharks win the Conn Smythe. Upon reflection I may have been a bit hyperbolic in my responses in order to prove a point. -_-

Oh well, what could have been. Have a great Sunday!

15 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Personally, it was just about potential with Gadj VS ChaseOn.  As you stated: ChaseOn can read plays better and that is because he has some years on Gadj.   Gadj is only 23 and with the right coach & opportunity he can develope in the NHL or he can bust out - who knows, whereas, with ChaseOn his NHL career seems to be about done (?).   Outside of the experience factor both seems to offer the same things with Gadj PROBABLY having more finish around the net.  Anyways, Green chose ChaseOn and I wish Gadj all the best in SJ.

It seems obvious you support this decision cause you took the time to do a deep dive and to make it known.  Perhaps give Gadj a few years.

Thanks for the reply Shawn. I do realize there is far more potential there with Gadjovich. I'm just questioning those that are making this seem like an obviously brutal decision that only our idiot leaders would make. We both know this isn't a developmental league. I feel it's a pretty close call with valid arguments on both sides. And to me it certainly still appears undecided. Some people really want our prospects to succeed at all costs. I don't really have a problem with club the attempting to win now and make choices based on that.

I've seen stuff like this happen time and time again. Obviously they somehow felt Chiasson would benefit the team better right now and rolled the dice on that. What a lot of people seem to be missing is that once a player is past his ELC he either needs to make the team or be cut loose. It's not like we hated Gadjovich, or didn't believe in his potential it's just the reality of the NHL. If we automatically played all our own draft picks once they graduate from their ELC, the team would be worse than Arizona. I don't think players should be guaranteed spots simply because they are a home town draft pick.

Cheers!

• Cheers 1