The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm only railing against people who lack the humility required to realize that their opinions are utterly worthless when compared to those of the actual paid professionals. 

maybe the conclusion you should draw from that is that shaw, the defensíve guru, has yet to find these so-called fundamental flaws in the system that need to be repaired?

I find it hard to believe that a team that finished almost at the bottom of the standings last year with a very poor defensive record doesn’t have any flaws in their defensive systems. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, RWJC said:

And to counter you (playing devils advocate here) by your own comments you also don’t know if that’s exactly why he was hired. 

So why is anybody commenting? Why does the team offer a message board?Because it’s fun to speculate, to discuss,  analyze or to opine…none of that demands fact but if you want people to speak factually or risk you cutting down their perspective, especially when it comes to the position you’re taking/arguing against, then at what point are you being hypocritical?

You’re also just a fan on a message board.

the reasons I listed were the ones stated openly by travis green himself. if they weren't the actual reasons, he is a liar. I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I find it hard to believe that a team that finished almost at the bottom of the standings last year with a very poor defensive record doesn’t have any flaws in their defensive systems. 

and I eagerly await their newly hired defensive expert rooting them out and fixing them. if nothing changes, it must mean either shaw isn't what he's been sold to us as, or the problems either weren't there in the first place or aren't fixable with systems and coaching. 

3 hours ago, laddie said:

Only 12% of 3rd Round Draft picks make the NHL. Perhaps DiPietro and Klimavich are our 12%.

JG was a 2nd round pick.

My point is that far too many professional leagues just bury their prospects in the minors or overseas. Give these guys some opportunities to play in the big leagues. Sink or swim. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

and I eagerly await their newly hired defensive expert rooting them out and fixing them. if nothing changes, it must mean either shaw isn't what he's been sold to us as, or the problems either weren't there in the first place or aren't fixable with systems and coaching. 

What do you think are the defensive problems if any, and if it’s personnel, how would you address it? What changes would you try to make?

3 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm only railing against people who lack the humility required to realize that their opinions are utterly worthless when compared to those of the actual paid professionals. 

maybe the conclusion you should draw from that is that shaw, the defensíve guru, has yet to find these so-called fundamental flaws in the system that need to be repaired?

Here is a fact for you.

Being a paid professional doesn’t mean you are automatically infallible at your job and that anyone who isn’t can’t be knowledgeable.

If you can’t see the fundamental flaws in our systems from last year (which are still largely evident so far this year) then sorry to say but you would fit in the category of your first paragraph.

Look at the results of last year. Then explain to me how that could be considered effective systems at either end of the ice. I know there are all kinds of excuses given for the train wreck year but not nearly enough attention gets put on the coaching which was a huge contributing negative. Newell Brown was the only casualty yet the PP strategy is exactly the same under King.

I am very curious to hear your explanation on how the way the Canucks play under these coaches is good strategy. No other team in the NHL plays the stand around and allow tons of shots defense. Not one. 

• Cheers 2

do people really have such short memories? do they not realize that we go through this every single year? whether it's a player lost on waivers or a player that makes it through who cdc thinks van should have claimed, it's always a tempest in a teapot. and then, invariably, two weeks later, all is forgotten forever. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

Dude give it up

You knocked his systems play for being the reason to get waived over all the other AHL fodder  that we still have at camp yet cant really cite any of it...

Green has even come out and said he had a pretty good camp and were planning on using him this year.

This was a calculated move that backfired.

I know you want to defend management but your bad takes are too much sometime.  Sometimes management makes mistakes.  Its ok to admit that and continue supporting the team. You dont have to go out of your way and knock a player who didn't do anything wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

do people really have such short memories? do they not realize that we go through this every single year? whether it's a player lost on waivers or a player that makes it through who cdc thinks van should have claimed, it's always a tempest in a teapot. and then, invariably, two weeks later, all is forgotten forever. 

I agree that a lost player is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Its the fact that it’s an unforced error - a hallmark of this regime - that pisses people off.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

This has by far been the stupidest roster decision since WD allowed Megna to disgrace the Canucks jersey.  There is a reason people aren't happy, and it's because the average person on here could have seen this coming, and why it would be a problem. If our head coach can't figure that out, he needs to be replaced immediately.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, tas said:

Honest question.

Have you ever watched our team play in the defensive zone or transition the puck?

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Here is a fact for you.

Being a paid professional doesn’t mean you are automatically infallible at your job and that anyone who isn’t can’t be knowledgeable.

If you can’t see the fundamental flaws in our systems from last year (which are still largely evident so far this year) then sorry to say but you would fit in the category of your first paragraph.

Look at the results of last year. Then explain to me how that could be considered effective systems at either end of the ice. I know there are all kinds of excuses given for the train wreck year but not nearly enough attention gets put on the coaching which was a huge contributing negative. Newell Brown was the only casualty yet the PP strategy is exactly the same under King.

I am very curious to hear your explanation on how the way the Canucks play under these coaches is good strategy. No other team in the NHL plays the stand around and allow tons of shots defense. Not one. 

my whole point is that we have no way of knowing if it's systems or execution. show me, conclusively, what baumer's system is and that the players are executing it as designed and maybe I'll trust your opinion. until then, sorry, I'm a skeptic. 

and of course being a professional doesn't make one infallible -- luckily, these guys live in a constant state of evaluation by the other experts who choose to employ them. 

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Holy crap dude, learn how basic hockey works. It doesn't mean either. People are lost on waivers all the time. It's designed that way to keep all the best players in the NHL. Teams purposely have more players than they can keep each training camp. Only the top 23 can be kept in the NHL. Just because a player gets claimed off waivers it doesn't mean they're bad, or they've spoiled like bad cheese.

The Canucks started camp with 54 players. It's inevitable good players are subject to this.

Desperate management resentment transference. Classic.

You seem oddly defensive.

Gadj is a good player. The point is that he looked to be a better player than a quite a few of the guys still competing for a spot. Perhaps folk are upset because Gadj had quite noticeably outplayed others competing for the spot that have been kept ahead of him and had less upside? Perhaps they're miffed that he didn't get a longer look? Perhaps it's because the team didn't try to sneak him through when teams were closer to finalizing their rosters and sending their final roster cuts down?

Simply saying "good players get claimed" isn't justification enough for losing a recent 2nd round pick with size, coming off a nearly goal per game campaign last year in the AHL, that performed well in camp. It's especially egregious considering that multiple teams apparently made claims on Gadj while not one other player from yesterday's cuts was claimed at all.

However, if you agree with the cut, that would imply that a player on a PTO and a few fringe players that haven't really impressed were worth holding onto over Gadj. I don't believe this personally, but if you do, how can you still consider him a good pick? 

Point is that we lost a second round pick for nothing, which means that at some point the ball was dropped. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Honest question.

Have you ever watched our team play in the defensive zone or transition the puck?

asking me if I've ever watched a Canucks hockey game is an honest question?

I’ll admit I haven’t been following the team as closely this preseason, but this looks like a blunder…to me he looked like an echelon higher than some of the other hacks they keep putting in the lineup.  Wasn’t the fastest skater but had a good combo of skill and toughness and looked good around the net as far as I saw. 

• Cheers 2