The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason Oilers @ Canucks / Oct. 9 / 6:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

If the only place to best use Hughes is as a forward, then I'd say that he should be traded in order to acquire a quality, defensive d-man.

regards,  G.

This

17 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser Petterson Miller were complete trash 5 on 5 last year.  What is with fans and short term memory?  

If this team is going to compete, Petey needs better wingers. 

You should forget about last year, since everyone was bad, Pettersson and Hughes were also bad too. The only good player last year was Hoglander and Boeser was good as well. As far as I know the lotto line was great before last year and they could be again this year with Boeser playing well and Petersson having a bounce back year. 

• Cheers 1

One thing that frustrates me about the gm is that there always seems to be some controversy surrounding the off-season. If it isn’t Tyler toffoli, Tanev and now Sutter and Hamonic. There is just something off that seems to happen and throws the season off the rails at the beginning. Is it coincidence or is something else there? It is concerning. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Has to be either Green or uncle jim that was the cause  and he could see a lack of direction and leadership from above.

Yeah cause he certainly has the distinctive context of having been a BIG part of a perrenial contender in Vegas vs his brief time in Vancouver

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

One thing that frustrates me about the gm is that there always seems to be some controversy surrounding the off-season. If it isn’t Tyler toffoli, Tanev and now Sutter and Hamonic. There is just something off that seems to happen and throws the season off the rails at the beginning. Is it coincidence or is something else there? It is concerning. 

lol my guy, Thats on media and fans that can't look at situations objectively, And would rather raise hell

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Considering how Baumgartner deployed him that Green signed off on, I would really like to hear why it took Schmidt so long to ask.

All roads eventually leads to Green and good point.

Would really been nice if they did a coaching change last year to see how that roster will react and before all the off season changes.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

lol my guy, Thats on media and fans that can't look at situations objectively, And would rather raise hell

Based on history. You just wait. They will use Hamonic not being here as an excuse and why they are losing. They will also say they didn’t see the Sutter situation happening so then they didn’t have a fourth line/penalty killer. It’s just excuse after excuse. Year after year.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

20 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

and for now you'd be right, and this surprises you?  However, since the turnstile of players has almost ended it will take awhile for the team to settle in and not be so disjointed, I already saw this coming like other posters but so what if it takes awhile, the team has get used to each other and as long as it happens, whatever.. yeah it's been tough waiting but after so many years of it, I'm just glad it's over!  

While you are somewhat correct - that Uncle Jim "took out the trash" over the last two off-seasons, disposing of nearly all the deadwood, he still hasn't managed to restock with any well- above average players and there are still very serious holes on Defense.  Until the defensive core is replenished and the bottom 6 are sorted out and settled in - we will continue to struggle - but I do agree that - at least on paper - things should be better this year and i would expect we will at least make the playoffs.   I would be willing to bet on that given the changes that have been made - BUT - if for whatever reason, we don't, you can rest assured that both Uncle jim and green will BOTH be FIRED even before season's end if we get into a rut early on, as fans are fed-up with excuses and season ticket holders too.    Our STH base is now below 10,000 (around 8900 I suspect) and that is a far cry from the 16,300 we used to have back in the good 'ol days and even Aqau-Lini will be out of patience if Uncle jim and Green scare off more STH's and regular fans. But I do agree things should be much better this season (fingers crossed)

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Great coaches build their systems with an eye on the individual and collective skill set they have to work with. And they put players in the best position to succeed, they don’t try to turn players into something they are not to break them down and rebuild them. Insecure coaches do those things.

Gerard Gallant, Jon Cooper, etc could probably get this team to a SCF even with the huge holes at C and RD.

Ditto, those coaches you mentioned seems to recognize the roster they are given and tends to create a system that maximizes the talent; whereas, other coaches are too busy working with the GM to look for the perfect player to fit a system.

Also, those coaches seems to emphasize playing four lines which leads to a more engaged game day roster.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I really hope that we start the season 0-6 and Green gets let go.

He is a coach with no real direction. His player evaluation is completely off. I feel like he was given credit for developing young players in the AHL, however now I am starting to think that it was because he had no other choice but to play younger players.

This team needs new leadership behind the bench. It just feels like players say what we expect them to say but none of them really look happy to be here.

19 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The fact that Miller was saying that they have not done 6 on 5 yet, just makes me question what Green has done during training camp and preseason. 

What is he talking about? There's been several instances where they played 6 on 5 because of 'brilliant' coaching. You know, the one with too many men, and the fact that they've only won one game this preseason = lots of opportunities for 6 on 5. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1