The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason Oilers @ Canucks / Oct. 9 / 6:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd put those guys with Horvat & have Pod/Hog with Dickinson. Garland should be on a top 6 line & playing enough minutes to provide offense

Garland will be on the third line, will struggle because of it. Book it. Green is a tool. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd put those guys with Horvat & have Pod/Hog with Dickinson. Garland should be on a top 6 line & playing enough minutes to provide offense

Anytime we aquire a new player fans expect more from them they may be capable.  Garland was asked to produce on a team with not many other options.  I think hes still in between a 2nd and 3rd liner on a contending team.

Moreover, our top 6 is small and soft as it is.  We need to find bigger options fast.

39 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Anytime we aquire a new player fans expect more from them they may be capable.  Garland was asked to produce on a team with not many other options.  I think hes still in between a 2nd and 3rd liner on a contending team.

Moreover, our top 6 is small and soft as it is.  We need to find bigger options fast.

Idk 39 points in 49 games last year. I think he can be a real top 6 scoring threat. 

The size is why I wouldn't have him and Hoglander on the same line. With Bo

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Rathbone is much more noticeable defensively for the wrong reasons though. He is a giveaway machine and scramble in his own zone. He needs to clean that up.

The team needs defense first guys that can PK. If those two guys are close to equal then Juolevi SHOULD win that spot based on being a better fit for team need.

Bye bye Juolevi

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's not like OJ won't produce any offense too.   There needs to be a balance.   OJ is and always has been projected as a defensive defenseman with offense,  Vlasic, the best in the league for a decade, was his best comp going into the draft.   Tanev 2.0 with some offense.    OJ scoring 20 and plus 20 is much better then Rathbone scoring  35 and -15.    Or QHs last season for that matter.   If we didn't have QHs then sure, Rathbone would be great and maybe he's Stetcher 2.0 plus ..

In the end there is nothing wrong with going with 7-8 D on the roster anyways.   Our forward group is easy to add too from Abby if injuries occur.     We are allowed to dress 20 skaters game day ... 12 forwards ... 6 D and 2 goalies.   And another 3 on the active roster.   We need one of Rathbone or OJ on the ice correct?   Easy enough to put one in the press box with two fringe forwards. 

While I agree, I think we're overating OJ's defensive game. He did well this preseason defensively, no doubt. But he isn't phenomenal defensively and his skating severely limits his ability to defend. With that said he had a good stick. But yeah, talking as if he'd have outstanding +/- values is a bit exaggerative. If he ended up +20 anywhere then clearly it's a mistake to not have him on anybody's top 4.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Green wants his guys to play in straight lines, or “direct” as he puts it.  Garland is small.  Playing a direct game is not what made him successful.  He needs to play east-west, and create space.  

Green's way or the highway. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, 404error said:

What a sloppy, almost unwatchable game. Embarrassing even. I think this will be one of those seasons where the team is pretty worthless until late November/early December and will have dug a serious hole by that point in time. 

Damn, so spot on! Farewell CDC

• Haha 1