The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

Just now, Dazzle said:

Upshall was given extended time with Green's roster. SOB was favourably treated too. Of course these players will have nothing but good things to say.

O’Brien was gone before Green got here and Upshall left here for St Louis. They have no reason to pump his tires other than genuine like and respect for the guy. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Think Green said it was a salary cap issue that they couldn't get him back off the Taxi squad, pretty sure he said that after they traded Jordie Benn. 

He can say anything he wants about this. The proof is in the pudding in how Juolevi was written off in favour of Rathbone, despite Rathbone's less than stellar preseason games. Green is such a hypocrite when it comes to accountability. Rathbone was gifted lots of PP time and minutes, and Juolevi was given the bulk of the PK time. Rathbone also played 18 mins, 2 seconds less than what OEL played, who's clearly a top 4 defenseman. Juolevi had about 14 or 15, if I recall.

Rathbone is good, no doubt about it. But his giveaways and what not should have been held accountable. Nope. JR clearly gets a free pass to 'learn'.

It's obvious that there's favouritism.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Think Green said it was a salary cap issue that they couldn't get him back off the Taxi squad, pretty sure he said that after they traded Jordie Benn. 

Only for a few days.  His own demotion created a bonus pool that could have covered his bonus.  They had enough cap to claim Vesey, bring back LouiE up, activate Motte etc.  

Was more of a roster spot issue.  They wanted to play Michaelis so they needed Juolevi's roster spot for him.  He also hadn't been playing since end of February and on the taxi squad he was paid his AHL salary (over 10x less).

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Juolevi was never really given a fair shake.

Remember when Juolevi was scratched after he scored his first NHL game?

Yep. That's Green for you. If you succeed in a role that he designed to make you fail in, you'll be thrown out of the roster.

I thoroughly dislike this guy.

He had his shot at cracking a weak defence that's paper thin on depth in his D+5 season and blew it. We can't cling on to draft pedigree forever, it just leads to use making dumb moves like holding on to trash players like Gudbranson and Virtanen for way too long.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Read this on HF too;

Juho Lammikko is a depth forward who plays solid defense and kills penalties. Zero offense except he scored on terrible backhanders (iirc all 4 of his career goals are on weak backhanders). He has no upside from 4th liner but of the 3 players moved is the only one who you can comfortably play in the NHL as of today

If he can help the PK than that's great. Just what we need out if this addition.

Let’s see. He’s 6’3” and 203lb  

Elite Prospects in 2012:

“A winger with promising size, Lammikko works hard at both ends of the ice and is strong in small spaces and corners. He is a decent skater with good stickhandling and playmaking ability. Lammikko has been an eager shooter in the juniors, but seems more apt as a set-up man with his vision and IQ. He is also characterized by good decision-making and sound defensive play. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)”

Two years ago with Karpat he had 51 points in 57 games. Yes, I know it’s a Finnish league but let’s give the guy a chance.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That was Lammikko

Juulsen suffered the injury after taking a puck to the face during Monday night's game against the Washington Capitals at the Bell Centre. The 21-year-old blueliner will remain in Montreal for further evaluation.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

He can say anything he wants about this. The proof is in the pudding in how Juolevi was written off in favour of Rathbone, despite Rathbone's less than stellar preseason games. Green is such a hypocrite when it comes to accountability. Rathbone was gifted lots of PP time and minutes, and Juolevi was given the bulk of the PK time. Rathbone also played 18 mins, 2 seconds less than what OEL played, who's clearly a top 4 defenseman. Juolevi had about 14 or 15, if I recall.

It's obvious that there's favouritism.

I'm actually a bit concerned about OEL's deployment under Green.

Green likes players to actively challenge and engage. OEL is a cerebral type that tries to get things done efficiently. Honestly, OEL is what we hoped OJ could be if not for injuries and poor development.

Anyhow, I think Green is on a short leash. I think Shaw was brought in for the very reason that we have someone experienced and ready to take over when/if Green falters.

• Cheers 3

32 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lammikko is probably a better option for 4th line than the guys we had there last night but by how much idk. 

Juulsen is already cleared so Abbotsford for him. 

What???  Juulsen isn't gonna step right in to help us on the right side??  

4 minutes ago, tas said:

hey @Dazzle, still laughing?

Green is a terrible coach, and I think the Canucks won't get to where they need to be unless they replace the coach.

I am not gonna cheer against my favourite team, but I wouldn't be surprised if we suck out of the gate because of Green's poor preseason decisions.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, davidgoliath said:

Let’s see. He’s 6’3” and 203lb  

Elite Prospects in 2012:

“A winger with promising size, Lammikko works hard at both ends of the ice and is strong in small spaces and corners. He is a decent skater with good stickhandling and playmaking ability. Lammikko has been an eager shooter in the juniors, but seems more apt as a set-up man with his vision and IQ. He is also characterized by good decision-making and sound defensive play. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)”

Two years ago with Karpat he had 51 points in 57 games. Yes, I know it’s a Finnish league but let’s give the guy a chance.

2012?

No longer a prospect in 2021/2022

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://floridahockeynow.com/florida-panthers-report-cards-forwards/

Juho Lammikko (44; 4-1, 5): After a couple of years playing in his native Finland, Lammikko showed his strong defensive play in a bottom-six role and added some scoring which was missing the last time he was here. Lammikko was played in a number of different situations as it was apparent the coaching staff placed a lot of faith in his defensive abilities. Final grade: C-plus.

Cautiously optimistic. Cheers!

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

What???  Juulsen isn't gonna step right in to help us on the right side??  

1 minute ago, khay said:

I'm actually a bit concerned about OEL's deployment under Green.

Green likes players to actively challenge and engage. OEL is a cerebral type that tries to get things done efficiently. Honestly, OEL is what we hoped OJ could be if not for injuries and poor development.

Anyhow, I think Green is on a short leash. I think Shaw was brought in for the very reason that we have someone experienced and ready to take over when/if Green falters.

Totally agree.

Rathbone (not a proven top 6 defenseman) was given 2 seconds less of TOI last night compared to OEL (a proven top 4).

It's clear that there's favouritism under Green. If players can get a fair shake with the tough love approach, I'm for it. It's problematic when you hold different standards for different players.

IMHO, part of Virtanen's poor development should fall on Green. He coached him in the AHL and in the Canucks. There's no way he should escape responsbility, even though Virtanen has himself to blame for his exodus in the NHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2