The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think it is a play Garland and Hoglander do a lot because of their size, he had puck position and saw movement and threw a bit of a reverse hit. I doubt he saw him in a vulnerable position.

Hoglander and him do it half a dozen times a game.  By initiating early contact they then essentially rebound off the guy toward the puck a get a little separation.  They don’t have the size or the reach so they adapted.

Again, he was going for the puck and was trying to get separation on a guy he probably saw out of the corner of his eye. 

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I didnt think it was reckless.and what happened was Zadina reached for the puck and lowered his head into Garlands back. Garland was protecting himself against a hit from behind. Like i said the refs blew the call because they saw something that didnt happen, were called to review because of it and had to save face by calling the minor. Thats my take on it. Whether you agree or not is based on opinion.

Agreed.  Hit was 100% clean, calling anything at all is bush league.

• Cheers 4

Just now, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  Hit was 100% clean, calling anything at all is bush league.

The Hogs hit to the head of the goaltender that waved off the goal would have been a better called penalty in my opinion but Greiss didnt flop on the ice causing the Refs to think he was hurt.

Sometimes they call the penalty based on the reaction rather than what actually happened. Thats all i was saying. So many great things happened in that game we just got beat by a goalie that stood on his head again.

Last time i checked the goalie is part of the team. We used to get that result from a lot of Luongos games also.

1 minute ago, tas said:

primary point of contact was the head, which makes the hit illegal. 

The primary point of the hit was Garlands back and if you want to be that technical thats a penalty on Zadina as well. this is a pointless argument and a waste of time if you feel it was a justified penalty then fine. I dont. Cheers to you

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Regardless I appreciate Stawns opinion but its frustrating to some of us to see the game manipulated. Its much more entertaining in my opinion when they let the teams play and call only what needs to be called. I prefer a game where there is less power plays and the Referees are invisible.

I agree 100%, the game is over called, but what you're advocating is more game management, not less. Again, I think the league is the problem, not the refs

16 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Garland’s hit:

The only thing that i had even a minor issue was is that Zadina didn't appear to have any interest in making contact on that play so he was in a vulnerable position. Garland was anticipating contact and he did what he should do to protect himself from getting plastered into the boards head first. shouldn't have been a penalty.

Edited by bubba6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What I have difficulty with is the "No goal call" Hoglander was outside of the blue paint and has a right to his ice/space. I know he bumped into Griess but it looked like incidental contact.

We have seen many times that incidental contact with a goalie will result in a no goal call.

15 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The Hogs hit to the head of the goaltender that waved off the goal would have been a better called penalty in my opinion but Greiss didnt flop on the ice causing the Refs to think he was hurt.

Sometimes they call the penalty based on the reaction rather than what actually happened. Thats all i was saying. So many great things happened in that game we just got beat by a goalie that stood on his head again.

Last time i checked the goalie is part of the team. We used to get that result from a lot of Luongos games also.

Mike Smith.....different story! 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree 100%, the game is over called, but what you're advocating is more game management, not less. Again, I think the league is the problem, not the refs

They're both a problem.  The refs are obviously choosing to not conduct themselves like professionals, but the league is also not doing the right thing and firing the corrupt/incompetent officials.  This combination is damaging the integrity of the league, but won't be solved until Bettman is replaced by someone who respects the sport.

Hold problem refs accountable and the officiating problem solves itself.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, johngould21 said:

Mike Smith.....different story! 

would be under review by the DPS because his mask would have been flung off into the stratosphere and he would have laid on the ice for the next 15 minute clenching his face.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I want to see the team that is better win the game.If one team is outplaying another the chances of them getting a power play should be better than even up. i have no issues with a tem getting 4 power plays to one for the other team if they are not deserved.  but calling 10 a game is ridiculous and ruins the game.

yeah i hate the "make up call" maybe the most. You can set your watch to it in the 3rd when we play Montreal.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Must be Dowling's fault the top six can't score I guess.

well to be honest 1/6 of our top 6 hasnt played yet. Brock will make a big difference on the Power play for sure. His shot is heavy enough to go through a lot of goalies.

Horvat and Petey need to pick it up. Petey seems to be trying to go through some of the teams on his own instead of making the play. He will get it figured out. The other teams are aware of that play on the power play with Bo taking the one timer in close and they are watching for it. Same with Peteys one timer from the circle. Getting the shots through from the point will have success and thats what OEL and Hughes are good at. We signed Chaisson to screen the goalie and he hasnt done a very good job of it so far in my opinion.

I like what Garland and Hogs have been doing though. Once we get Brock back it opens up both sides of the ice more and will be a better PP

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I am not sure why you think i am advocating that. I am not saying dont call penalties its when they are called and what is deserved that is in question from me. I dont think calling one against a team that has had the run of the play to allow the other team to stay in the game is correct. Thats manipulation of the game to keep the fans of the lesser team in the game. What I am advocating for is that the rules should be if it takes away a scoring chance or the health of a player is threatened then I think thats a penalty that should always be called. Thats the playoff version and it makes for a much more entertaining game. The ticky tack hooking calls because you touched another players hands with your stick or the cross check as it has been called this year are bad examples of penalties needing to be called. Its not just the calls against our team that bother me its in any game that makes it less enjoyable to watch when they are inconsistent with how the rules are applied.

• Cheers 2