The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm a little bit concerned that when the game got feisty, Elias disappeared and started patting the opposition on the back between whistles.  

Meanwhile you have Garland trying to drag his team into the fight alone.  

We outplayed Detroit big time and I'm sure it will happen a few more times where the opposing goalie steals the game. I'm okay with the loss in that sense. 

Yea, that concerns me.  Thats a swedish/Euro thing I think.  I can remember the sedins helping players up off the ice that they accidently knocked down and it made every hair on my neck stand up.   If anything you give them a last shot - to send a message.  That is how you make your mark known!  One day we'll hopefully get some bigger and grittier players to help us thru the playoffs.  Right now we've got almost no one with any family jewels to make statements after Uncle Jimlet Mac and Gad walk away for nothing, so it was super refreshing to see Garland (one of the smallest players on the team) do that.  That's what you call leadeship........  BO !!!

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Is the PP Coach Greens responsibility? I think Canucks have an assistant coach for the PP. Am I wrong about  the assistant coach for the PP. Please let me know. Thank you.

You are correct !   ...........................and Green is ultimately responsible for all coaching.  Buck stops with him.  He's the Coaching BOSS.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

52 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

People give our media a hard time, but yikes, this is quite the take from a Detroit hockey writer. :picard:

Guy claims Garland “didn’t make an attempt to play the puck.”

Then proceeds to share a video clip that clearly shows Garland playing the puck into the corner, before the hit, and then making a successful pass to a teammate after the hit.

:lol:

The midget layed him out pretty good!!!!! Fan fav definitely!

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The PP looks exactly the same as last year in terms of execution.  I doubt Petey needed an entire training camp to go over exactly what he did last year.  The problem isn't Petey missing camp, or Hughes.  The problem is how to execute the PP with all that talent on the ice.  

************** POST OF THE MONTH ***********

• Cheers 2

Sorry to say but losing in regulation to a bottom feeding team is not promising for the team's playoff chances. Also to add in the game against the Flyers 3 out of the 4 goals were lucky bounces. 

I am still not optimistic about this team to be honest.

• RoughGame 3

4 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Garland leaving the arena 

image.gif.2291de3eee82bb27ab59be34e96848f4.gif

I think we should call Garland "CHESTER" for those that remember this famous Bugs Bunny cartoon (When cartoons were not so politically correct - back in the good 'ol normal days)

spike 2 | Epsilon Theory

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

Green needs to get 4 lines going and just roll them in a game like this.

He tries too hard to play the matchup game and it ends up burning out our top guys with too many minutes.

Theres a reason why we’re always so much worse on the road under Green.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Green needs to get 4 lines going and just roll them in a game like this.

He tries too hard to play the matchup game and it ends up burning out our top guys with too many minutes.

Theres a reason why we’re always so much worse on the road under Green.

He loses the matchup game a lot.

On another note, our PP is $&!#. And with the skill we have that’s just not acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He loses the matchup game a lot.

On another note, our PP is $&!#. And with the skill we have that’s just not acceptable. 

When Boeser returns we have enough skill for 2 PP units.  No excuse that we can't be one of the top teams in the league on the PP this year.  Most teams only have one guy who can QB a PP.  We have 2, maybe even 3 if you include Rathbone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

games like these petey needs to stand out and play like a superstar

He hasn't been the same since his first season.  Glad they haven't signed him long term yet.  He could turn out to be another Jason King "flash in the pan"!

(If that doesn't get the homers "going" - don't know what will!)

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Boeser returns we have enough skill for 2 PP units.  No excuse that we can't be one of the top teams in the league on the PP this year.  Most teams only have one guy who can QB a PP.  We have 2, maybe even 3 if you include Rathbone.

I agree - i think Boesers arrival will really change things - big time.

What on earth is Zadina going on about? Garland was gonna play the puck regardless, Garland was gonna hit Zadina regardless. Garland had his back to Zadina while playing the puck and Zadina as the only one with eyes on the situation put his head down even when he saw the hit coming a mile away.

Things happen fast but he knows his head hit the numbers so why cry about it after the game. I can understand heated feeling in the moment on the ice but afterwards with a situation clear as daylight. Jeez.

Other than that, good looks but Greiss was a wall. PP needs to execute and my lord, reffing at the highest level simply cannot be that difficult! 3rd period vs Philly was tough to swallow but this was even worse. Both ways. Calls were off by a coutry mile, soft ones called and proper ones missed all game.

Sidenote, do you have to be toothless to play for the Wings? Not many seem to have a full set. ::D

• Cheers 1

still can't stand Dickinson.
the guy is slooooow. No urgency, no hustle and slow decision making.

Poorman is a little suspect too, but it could take some times to adjust to our poor defensive system.

Highmore on the other seems to have jumped into Motte shoes and play really good.

Good surprise with Dowling, not bad at all, same thing with Burroughs

when Boeser's return, i want to see those lines

Miller Petey Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Petan Podkolzin

Highmore Dickinson Chiasson

We already have quality guys on the PP. They should be a lot better than they are, even without Boeser. 

Not even sure Boeser makes much of a difference with the way it is playing.

Fixing it should be priority one. We’ve played good 5v5 but the PP sucks the life out of the team. If we’re able to continue to build momentum from our PPs we will start dominating most games we play. 

PK needs to be better too. 

We’ve also really dropped the ball on faceoffs so far too. Winning them is pretty key with special teams. Losing draws has proven costly on the PK already. 

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

After going down and rolling like he had been elbowed in the smacker, I think he should keep quiet. Embarrashing...

Thing is, he wasn't even elbowed in the smacker. Garland was aware of his incoming presence, braced himself, and threw a reverse hit without throwing an elbow.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1