The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Pettersson is absolutely not yet on par with Matthews.  It's not even particularly close.  Pettersson is very good but he has to actually live up to his projections and upside, not just be credited with having achieved those when he has topped out at 65 points or so.

To be fair, he hasn't played a full season yet. But, if you include the p/o games with his 19-20 reg season stat, you see a different story.  85 games; 34goals - 50assists - 84pts.  What a monster 2nd season he had. 

And then came the injury season where he played only 26 of 56games.  Which means, he hadn't played a single NHL game since March 2/21 until his 1st game this season. That's a huge amount of time for a developing young player to go without any games.

I think it's expecting a lot for him to suddenly play like we know he can in just 4 games.  Be patient.  Pete will bounce back.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Pettersson is absolutely not yet on par with Matthews.  It's not even particularly close.  Pettersson is very good but he has to actually live up to his projections and upside, not just be credited with having achieved those when he has topped out at 65 points or so.

In the first three years, yes he is. 

Pettersson: 0.93 point per game, strong two way game, but below average on face offs. One of the best shots in the game and a elite passing game. 

Matthews 0.95 points per game, OK two way game, good at face offs and has size. One of the best shots in the game and a good passing game.

They are closer than you are giving credit to for Petty.

Edited by vancan2233

Petey’s best season was his second year not his first. Everyone sucked last season. And now he’s not off too a super start this year but it’s only 5 games in. Pretty silly discussions all around. Give the kid some time

4 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

The Canucks were disengaged last night, and the whole team was off no one had a good game. This year this fan base is going to over react to every game. A big win and the fans are going to be so excited and a lose the worst coached team in history. 

3 points in 4 games though.  And the results accurately reflect the quality of play we've been seeing.

Any fanbase can tolerate a loss.  But no fanbase would be happy with this start.

37 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

No, people are saying the comparison means they going to be next "Great One". When only some traits are being compared. If someone says you walk like your dad does not mean they think you are going be like your dad in every way.  

I dunno, seems like you're arguing semantics. If even the Great One compares him to himself and even Crosby, it means that he thinks Petey will be something incredibly special in the NHL and not just a very good player. Anyhoogan, I'm not hear to split hairs. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

3 points in 4 games though.  And the results accurately reflect the quality of play we've been seeing.

Any fanbase can tolerate a loss.  But no fanbase would be happy with this start.

One more win and the team is at 500 hockey. On the road any fan base should be ok with that. Yes it has not happened yet, but the teams play has been good enough to come home with 500 record. Yes they are also a period to period "Jekyll and Hyde" team that could also be below 500 coming home. Have to wait and see, but this fan base has an over the top reaction to every single game. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

One more win and the team is at 500 hockey. On the road any fan base should be ok with that. Yes it has not happened yet, but the teams play has been good enough to come home with 500 record. Yes they are also a period to period "Jekyll and Hyde" team that could also be below 500 coming home. Have to wait and see, but this fan base has an over the top reaction to every single game. 

While it is true that the fans here have an awfully short fuse (I remember when people wanted players traded and coaches fired during the President's Trophy seasons), this year there are higher expectations.  Picks have been traded and we are up against the cap.  I would be shocked if personnel and roster survives intact if we are sub-500 going into the trade deadline.

Yeah, I think it is too early to be panicking. If I have one criticism, it would be in our puck control entering the Offensive zone. Probably don't like their static PP, once in. I think we have the personnel to be much more active. 

But again, it is early, so I'll give them another 5 games to figure it out.

43 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I dunno, seems like you're arguing semantics. If even the Great One compares him to himself and even Crosby, it means that he thinks Petey will be something incredibly special in the NHL and not just a very good player. Anyhoogan, I'm not hear to split hairs. 

4 games into his 4th NHL seasons and people are worried Petty is not going to be the next best thing in the NHL. His play has been at the top of the NHL for any player his age, especially in playoffs. Every player goes through patches of down play, it is an 82 game season after all. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

4 games into his 4th NHL seasons and people are worried Petty is not going to be the next best thing in the NHL. His play has been at the top of the NHL for any player his age, especially in playoffs. Every player goes through patches of down play, it is an 82 game season after all. 

After the recent contract negotiations, I'm guessing some fans are merely concerned about what his contract might look like in the near future. He's still a very good player, but he hasn't exactly taken step after step each year; in fact, he's kind of the same player he was in his rookie season. This isn't a bad thing, but I think it's fair for people's expectations to be a little higher than what we're seeing. It is, however, still very early in the season, so maybe he hits a couple of more gears as games go on. Also, it's Petey, not Petty, like Tom Petty :)

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

After the recent contract negotiations, I'm guessing some fans are merely concerned about what his contract might look like in the near future. He's still a very good player, but he hasn't exactly taken step after step each year; in fact, he's kind of the same player he was in his rookie season. This isn't a bad thing, but I think it's fair for people's expectations to be a little higher than what we're seeing. It is, however, still very early in the season, so maybe he hits a couple of more gears as games go on. Also, it's Petey, not Petty, like Tom Petty :)

Petey my bad. The most important thing to his game is he steps it up when the games matter the most. 

Edited by vancan2233

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Petey my bad. The most important thing to his game is he steps it up when the games matters the most. 

Honestly, I really think the most important thing that has to happen right now is Green sticks to the Lotto line, as I think all three of those guys play their best with each other, especially Miller. They're just too good of a line to break up. Stack it. And that goes for the second line as well. Bo and Hogs are great together, and now Garland. Stack it. Blend the bottom six, if necessary, but keep the top two lines the same and roll with them every game. Consistency matters a ton with players knowing where they each are on the ice. Petey is a little rusty, but he'll be fine. Whether or not he takes a step and gets better remains to be seen, but he'll still be our best forward.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

Sure we could have had Hirschier IF we won the lotto - OR maybe even - Nolan Patrick!   EP is the least of our worries.   Maybe he has a down year this season and "only" gets 60 points.    Pathetic right?   Not really even at that bar.   Guys capable of having a few multi point games and catching up within a week.   This is the definition of a knee jerk reaction.    Sure he's almost certainly not a generational talent, but still has decent odds with some longevity passing the Sedins one day.    Go back and look at how "awesome" they were their first 4 years.   Or Naslund if you prefer.   Only Linden, Bure and maybe Brock Boeser were as good as he is out of the gate for forwards....all-time for us. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Honestly, I really think the most important thing that has to happen right now is Green sticks to the Lotto line, as I think all three of those guys play their best with each other, especially Miller. They're just too good of a line to break up. Stack it. And that goes for the second line as well. Bo and Hogs are great together, and now Garland. Stack it. Blend the bottom six, if necessary, but keep the top two lines the same and roll with them every game. Consistency matters a ton with players knowing where they each are on the ice. Petey is a little rusty, but he'll be fine. Whether or not he takes a step and gets better remains to be seen, but he'll still be our best forward.

Miller with Podz is showing promise. Green can not caught a break. Keep the lines the same and we start losing, why is Green not changing things up he sucks. Look at the other coach he is changing things up during the game to win, What the hell is Green doing changing the lines during the game he is being out coached, On and on we go,,,

Edited by vancan2233
  • Vintage 1

theres a current thread over at HFBOARDS about Lafreniere that resembles this thread.   Apparently Lafreniere has been a bit underwhelming, not the top tier gold plated prospect some NY fans expected for a #1 overall.

I think EP has been fine, yes his current pay invites more scrutiny.  But as I mentioned before to me he proved a lot during that playoff run where he put up 18 points in 17 games.  The other team was always gunning for him during that run and he performed very well - better playoff performance than a lot of other young stars around the league at his age. 

• Like 1

You're going to get a lot of hate for this thread, but it honestly had to be said. I feel like a lot of the fanbase are still blinded by his first 20 or so games before the rest of the league figured him out. Don't get me wrong, he's still a good player, and it's nice that he isn't piss poor defensively, but he's a peripheral player. He's not strong on the puck because he simply doesn't have the frame for it, which is why I don't think he's going to become any more than he is. 

He's a great complimentary player, but if he's the guy you're building your whole lineup around, you're not going to go very far. 

• Wat 1

I don't think the criticism of EP40 is warranted at this time.  Boeser had a rough game last night not being in position for numerous entries into the offensive zone.  The chemistry with Hoglander on this line is questionable.. maybe too many guns.  Also Green has his line going out against the other teams top line often to start the season.  That said, you know EP40 himself won't be happy that he is -2 in the plus/minus department right now.