The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stan Bowman resigns as Blackhawks GM, Kyle Davidson named interim GM

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Just a reminder that Jonathan Toews said he was "annoyed" when Kyle Beach first came forward over the summer. And now this statement. Absolutely gutless person. He deserves to be stripped of his C. Classless in the face of this scandal. He seems more upset that his longtime bosses "Stan and Al" had to step aside instead of what Kyle went through.

I honestly believe he, Keith, and any other Blackhawk of that era who claimed they "didn't know about this" were the ones hurling the homophobic slurs at Beach during this time.

We were so lucky to have the Sedins as our leaders in this same era when this scandal happened and have them guiding this Canucks generation now.

Captain Serious, seriously needs a reality check 

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

You can tell in every Chicago players interview that they knew and decided winning a trophy was more important then protecting a person. The fact they dismissed the rumors/gossip upon being told goes to show what pathetic excuses of human beings they are. Nothing is more important then someone’s safety at any time, ever.

Also to anyone reading sadly I must tell you that it’s likely at some point in your life a friend or family member will come to you with a story about being sexually assaulted. It may be about someone you hold in high regard, it may be about a parent, it may be about your best friend. Don’t question them regardless of who is accused. If they want to keep it private support them. If they want to go public support them, but most importantly believe them, comfort them, stand beside them and fight for them.

This is unfortunately way more common then people think it is.

I cried during his interview, the raw emotion he still feels 10 years later is overwhelming and brought me back to when my friend told me she was drugged and raped. I commend his bravery and of all others who are willing to come forward to speak the truth. Change can’t come without them. I hope Kyle, the Michigan teen and so many other survivors can find peace some day and that an independent process be created for anyone in professional sports to be able to anonymously report sexual abuse. When it’s left to people who have motive to bury the truth there will always be more Kyle Beach’s.

Well said. Thanks for that.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have a feeling Jeff Gorton will be their new GM. Kind of hope they hire an idiot though. Just have to hope no one good wants the job.

I would love to see Jim Rutherford as PoHO and Gorton as GM in Van. 

There will always be someone wanting to take the new GM role on an NHL team. Or head coach really. Why the Canucks decided to keep Green, despite the other available options, including Gallant, is beyond me. Some say it's AQ saving money, but that is a load of bullocks. The millions he spends on the coaching staff are nothing to what he makes yearly. He's a billionaire for a reason.

Just now, Dazzle said:

There will always be someone wanting to take the new GM role on an NHL team. Or head coach really. Why the Canucks decided to keep Green, despite the other available options, including Gallant, is beyond me. Some say it's AQ saving money, but that is a load of bullocks. The millions he spends on the coaching staff are nothing to what he makes yearly. He's a billionaire for a reason.

The Canucks have one of the thinnest and most centralized front office power structure in the NHL. Everything funnels through Benning and Weisbrod. Anyone who dissents from their opinion seems to be ushered out fairly quickly.

There might be some financial motives and I suspect there are but I think it is just a culture of confirmation bias from Aquilini to Benning and Weisbrod. They genuinely think Green is the best coach for this team.  They typically make moves based on their perception of players, coaches, etc rather than statistical evidence stating them in the face. With no one left to dissent that leads to a very myopic and biased view of things. We have seen it all along in almost every decision they make.

13 hours ago, Quantum said:

Kyle Beach was an 11th overall pick who was expected to be a big part of that Blackhawks dynasty. This would be the equivalent to Bo Horvat not knowing who Podzkolzin was after being drafted. It's pretty far fetched that he wouldn't have *any* familiarity. 

This is a really bad take, dude.

I don't agree with your post, at least not completely.

I think casting blame on Toews for allegedly not knowing about the situation involves a one-sided analysis. That being said, Toews not knowing about such a huge thing in the locker room says several things:

1) Toews isn't really the captain, since he didn't know about this (so he claims) - weak point

2) Toews is a weak captain - also a weak point

3) Toews was just as complicit about incident as the people he's defending - for a situation like this, I find it difficult to believe that he really didn't know.

4) Toews hasn't fully processed this situation, but has leaned back on his previous ties to his 'friends', but not necessarily agreeing that the sexual assault was acceptable. He merely just stated that the blame should go to those immediately involved (i.e. Brad alrich)

I think point 4 reflects Toews and his damning social intelligence. I don't think he was directly involved at all with the hazing, but this is a poor look on him being a captain for not knowing (and possibly not being trusted by Beach in the first place). Additionally, defending those who just resigned is a weird hill for Toews to die on. He should have just shut his mouth from the beginning.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't agree with your post, at least not completely.

I think casting blame on Toews for allegedly not knowing about the situation involves a one-sided analysis. That being said, Toews not knowing about such a huge thing in the locker room says several things:

1) Toews isn't really the captain, since he didn't know about this (so he claims) - weak point

2) Toews is a weak captain - also a weak point

3) Toews was just as complicit about incident as the people he's defending - for a situation like this, I find it difficult to believe that he really didn't know.

4) Toews hasn't fully processed this situation, but has leaned back on his previous ties to his 'friends', but not necessarily agreeing that the sexual assault was acceptable. He merely just stated that the blame should go to those immediately involved (i.e. Brad alrich)

I think point 4 reflects Toews and his damning social intelligence. I don't think he was directly involved at all with the hazing, but this is a poor look on him being a captain for not knowing (and possibly not being trusted by Beach in the first place). Additionally, defending those who just resigned is a weird hill for Toews to die on. He should have just shut his mouth from the beginning.

He did himself no favours with his public statements supporting management based on them being good to him and them winning a cup. It kind of hammered home the point how me first he is as a human being.

15 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Well Jonathan, those good people Stan and Al are absolutely complicit in everything that happened to every victim after Kyle by their inaction and dereliction of duty. They are complicit in every day of suffering that Kyle Beach endured between then and this day.  They are complicit in this sickening picture. 

What a totally tone deaf thing to say. Why would I expect anything better from JT?

E245966B-8E9E-47E8-93ED-6326E7501BCA.jpeg

And to think people thought Toews should've been Captain Canada at one point over Crosby.

The so called "best leader" in the NHL.

I'll gladly take Crosby > Toews anyday.

Glad we didn't have that clown wearing our national team's "C". 

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, rekker said:

The media is a joke as well. Not enough is made of Captain Serious and his lack of reponse to what happened. 

That's the problem with the media. Too busy with fluff pieces, and ignoring real issues. And supporting corrupt politicians over non-issues. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Part of the problem I have with Gallant, one team letting him go for struggling. Sure that could just be bad management. But two? My worry is there's some skeletons in the closet with Gallant too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's the problem with the media. Too busy with fluff pieces, and ignoring real issues. And supporting corrupt politicians over non-issues. 

Exactly. I am a media supporter in general but man they are so ingrained into the culture as a whole that they really $&!# the bed on anything bigger than hockey.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Part of the problem I have with Gallant, one team letting him go for struggling. Sure that could just be bad management. But two? My worry is there's some skeletons in the closet with Gallant too. 

I don’t get the sense Gallant was fired from either team for results. He was fired by Florida simply as part of some power trip soap opera designed by Rowe and by Vegas because the GM wanted his own guy and bought into the hype of DeBoer.

I have talked to Gallant many times. As an old school player I guess I would not be surprised if there were a couple of mistreatments clanking around in his closet. But I have never got the sense from hearing how he talks about his players and coaching that he is that guy. 

He clashes with management a lot which likely limits his coaching tenures. But I have never talked to any player coached by him who didn’t love him even though he was hard on them. They all gave me the clear impression they would go through a wall for him and that he is by all accounts a very good coach.

As we are seeing, it’s hard to know with anyone in the NHL culture.

Efit: $&!# so I just detailed the wrong thread again. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2