The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stan Bowman resigns as Blackhawks GM, Kyle Davidson named interim GM

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

don't look for fairness or equivalent treatment in Bettmans NHL

I don't, but I also don't consider the corruption that Bettman encourages to be acceptable.  The sooner that subhuman waste of oxygen is replaced with someone who has respect for the sport, the better.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't, but I also don't consider the corruption that Bettman encourages to be acceptable.  The sooner that subhuman waste of oxygen is replaced with someone who has respect for the sport, the better.

'merican GMs and owners love the guy though. Even more now in all likelihood, as he'll clearly cover their asses.

• Upvote 1

I read through most of the report, and my god… I feel sick to my stomach. The fact that the players made fun of him about being sexually violated is truly disturbing and disgusting. Sadly, it doesn’t surprise me, considering the smug arrogance that team always exuded. Always about maintaining their league darling status and model like franchise when beneath it all they were disgusting, cowardly asshats who tried to cover up a terrible injustice. Screw that franchise. I hope the rot in the basement of the NHL for all eternity. 

• Upvote 1

Q and Chevy should be next ones to quit or get canned, all of them should not be allowed to come back to the NHL.

Those present at the meeting, according to the report, were then-Hawks President John McDonough, Bowman, Quenneville, Cheveldayoff, MacIsaac, Gary and Blunk.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/blackhawks/ct-chicago-blackhawks-sexual-misconduct-review-20211026-rtifpbh4zvdvpl2qdpqaw56wu4-story.html

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2021 at 3:48 PM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Fair enough about the power. I mean it's every kids dream to make the show and then have some perv try to take advantage of your dream with disgusting motives could definitely create a power situation. But i still don't get it. Nobodys dignity is worth any sum of money or fame 

Its also about fear. This kid wasn't making a calculated decision based on weighing all the outcomes. He was most likely freaked the &^@# out. 

Anyone who has to ask how that can happen just doesn't understand human nature. Even without the leverage of an NHL career, some humans are able to manipulate other humans one way or another. They type of person who asks how it happens usually assumes they if they were in a similar situation they would power their way through it. But they are all suffering from protagonist syndrome. None of you know how you would react unless something like that has happened. And a lot of the people who think they wouldn't be susceptible could be in for a rude awakening someday. 

Just because you make the NHL doesn't mean you have a mind of steel. They are humans just like everyone else. They just happen to be really good at hockey.

Edited by butters
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, rekker said:

This is bull$&!#. Look at what Arizona got fined for their BS at circumventing the combine. The fact that Chicago didn't loose a draft pick or two is absolute crap. NHL is a joke and a boys club that favours the original six and the other darlings. If I'm Arizona I'm going public with WTF?!?!. It's crap like this that if I didn't love this game, it's my passion, I'd say good riddance to this farce of a leugue. If the scenario was exactly the same, but the Canucks committing the crime, I gaurantee, gaurantee, there would be draft picks invlolved.

I think Arizona probably preferred draft picks to financial penalties.  The league bent over backwards there to avoid costing Arizona more money than it's already losing.  It's not really apples to apples any time the Coyotes are involved in something league related vs. any other team.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

4 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Even if the team had chose not to disclose the incident until after the Stanley cup final the fact they purposely tried to hide it permanently should put a hard stop to any of those that knew of the assault from being involved in the nhl.

I don't know.  Is a company obligated to publicize misconduct by an employee?  They are obligated to get the offender out of there, protect the victim, take measures to prevent recurrences, etc. but you can rest assured that terrible things have happened in every company you can name and none of them do press releases to let the world know.  Now, maybe it shouldn't be that way, but you seem to be expecting more in this case simply because the company is a sports team.

Moreover, an obligation for the company to disclose such things kind of doesn't give much consideration to what the victim wants.  I don't know if John Doe either did or didn't want reasons for reporters to start sniffing around the incident at the time or any other point up to the lawsuit.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

#&^@#theblackhawks

I hope there is heavier fines coming their way. 2M?? You gotta be &^@#ing joking me. 

That's less than what the league fined New Jersey for their Kovalchuk situation. 

Again, I don't know.  That's something like 3% of the salary cap for an operating year, not an insignificant sum.  It's hard to compare it to the Kovalchuk thing which is 100% about $ in and $ out.  Of course financial penalties are the thing for financial circumventions.

Is fining the Blackhawks more money purposeful compared to keeping individuals who were morally culpable here out of the league, either for a period or permanently?  I'm much more interested in seeing individuals held responsible for bad decisions than I am seeing the league itself take money from one team's operating budget.  There's a lawsuit happening between the player and the team.  He'll not only get paid, probably more than $2M, but there may be punitive damages as well, which could annihilate the team's treasure chest for a few years.  I don't really get much out of seeing the league extract money from the Hawks.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think Arizona probably preferred draft picks to financial penalties.  The league bent over backwards there to avoid costing Arizona more money than it's already losing.  It's not really apples to apples any time the Coyotes are involved in something league related vs. any other team.

I see your point but it doesn't change the fact that the Hawks got what they wanted with a fine rather than lost picks. Bettman appeasing the old boys club again. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

if all they had to do was pay 2 mil instead of losing a 1st rounder and have their organization go into a tail spin they would have jumped at it. Chyka might even still have a job.

Bettman has let Bowman off the hook completely, even allowing him to shift blame on his way out the door. Its really a bad joke, when you compare it to other situations where the punishment was much more severe.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if all they had to do was pay 2 mil instead of losing a 1st rounder and have their organization go into a tail spin they would have jumped at it. Chyka might even still have a job.

Bettman has let Bowman off the hook completely, even allowing him to shift blame on his way out the door. Its really a bad joke, when you compare it to other situations where the punishment was much more severe.

Like Michigan State and the gymnasts scandal. It took those girls and their parents years to get that creep in court. Why, because those at the top thought by saying and reporting nothing to the even higher ups, it would go away. I'm positive this goes on a lot more in sports or organizations than anyone can believe possible.

• Vintage 4

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It's not even close, and the punishment isn't even close. The Devils lost picks for the Kovulchuk signing, Later rescinded, which is a whole nother story, but still. Arizona lost picks for the combine circumvention. What the Hawks did here is heinous. If it's the player I think it is it may have even added to his defunct career. Just a joke of a punishment and the final straw for me. I have lost any faith I had in this leugue to consistently do the right thing. 

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Like Michigan State and the gymnasts scandal. It took those girls and their parents years to get that creep in court. Why, because those at the top thought by saying and reporting nothing to the even higher ups, it would go away. I'm positive this goes on a lot more in sports or organizations than anyone can believe possible.

106243453-1573677234166rtx78q48.jpg?v=16

Gym Jordan

aka:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

As much as I hate the Blackhawks, I don't think that taking away picks from them would be an appropriate punishment. 

If you want to give out a stiff penalty, you would take away their Stanley Cup from that year.  

Money and picks are not really an appropriate punishment in this context. Making sure that those involved never work again in the league is more appropriate. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

As much as I hate the Blackhawks, I don't think that taking away picks from them would be an appropriate punishment. 

If you want to give out a stiff penalty, you would take away their Stanley Cup from that year.  

Money and picks are not really an appropriate punishment in this context. Making sure that those involved never work again in the league is more appropriate. 

First round picks are a huge punishment. Especially for e team needing young players. Huge punishment and appropriate in this instance. IMHO. You can't take away a cup from players that earned it, that to me is a punishment that goes beyond the organization and it's management.  Picks hit the organization.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1