The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Joel Quenneville resigns as Panthers head coach, Andrew Brunette named interim head coach

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Chevy had any honour, he would resign without having to be forced to. Of course he won’t and that makes him a POS too not worthy of any exoneration.

not sure about this part. His side of it is pretty believable to me. Being low guy in the room, not even remembered by some to even be at the meeting. Not sure what power he really had to do anything under the circumstances. Even the PA ignored this.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not sure about this part. His side of it is pretty believable to me. Being low guy in the room, not even remembered by some to even be at the meeting. Not sure what power he really had to do anything under the circumstances. Even the PA ignored this.

He could call the cops, he was old enough to know how to use a phone. He was old enough the day of that meeting, and during the 11 years since.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

He could call the cops, he was old enough to know how to use a phone. He was old enough the day of that meeting, and during the 11 years since.

I guess. I understand the feeling to burn everyone in the room, but its also believable to me that he thought it was being taken care of.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess. I understand the feeling to burn everyone in the room, but its also believable to me that he thought it was being taken care of.

Sure, he might have thought it was being taken care of, but he seemingly did nothing over multiple YEARS to ensure that it was.

If he had, you can be sure he would have said so; after getting the light shone on lack of action, at the time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, gurn said:

Sure, he might have thought it was being taken care of, but he seemingly did nothing over multiple YEARS to ensure that it was.

If he had, you can be sure he would have said so; after getting the light shone on lack of action, at the time.

didn't he join WPG the next year? again, I can see why he'd put it in the rear view and not continue to follow it not being in the same organization.

But its a good point, how much responsibility do we all have to act, even if you've left the team (or company you're working for).

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

By the sounds of it this would also apply to Brent Sopel and others who knew at the time but never followed up with it down the road. So we can sit here today and say Brent Sopel for example is now going to the media again about it, saying he has Kyle Beach's back, he was at the time informed it would be dealt with as well. Not trying to discredit Sopel or make him sound anything but sincere but Cheveldayoff took part in a meeting about the incident, was aware and given an indication it would be dealt with also. Did either of these individuals follow up that off season or the next season ? as both were no longer employed by the Blackhawks. Point being we are through the media right now looking at both these individuals in a completely different light and both were in very similar scenarios of knowledge being lead to believe it would be dealt with and then leaving the franchise shortly thereafter.

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

didn't he join WPG the next year? again, I can see why he'd put it in the rear view and not continue to follow it not being in the same organization.

But its a good point, how much responsibility do we all have to act, even if you've left the team (or company you're working for).

Like Brent Sopel said yesterday in his interview on 650, responsibility lies with everyone.

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

For that moment in the meeting I can buy that…yes he might have believed it was being taken care of. But what about Aldrich being on the ice to lift the cup, the parade, the ring, etc. It should have been obvious to everyone that nothing was done?  Aldrich is in all the celebratory pictures but I don’t see Beach anywhere.

I can’t help noticing that even a couple of people that Beach thanks for their support, Vincent and Torchetti, are in a photo of a small group with Aldrich posing with the cup. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

By the sounds of it this would also apply to Brent Sopel and others who knew at the time but never followed up with it down the road. So we can sit here today and say Brent Sopel for example is now going to the media again about it, saying he has Kyle Beach's back, he was at the time informed it would be dealt with as well. Not trying to discredit Sopel or make him sound anything but sincere but Cheveldayoff took part in a meeting about the incident, was aware and given an indication it would be dealt with also. Did either of these individuals follow up that off season or the next season ? as both were no longer employed by the Blackhawks. Point being we are through the media right now looking at both these individuals in a completely different light and both were in very similar scenarios of knowledge being lead to believe it would be dealt with and then leaving the franchise shortly thereafter.

Like Brent Sopel said yesterday in his interview on 650, responsibility lies with everyone.

all good points.

Its pretty easy to think of being in a situation like this, we've all worked with creeps. But when you leave an organization, does an incident you witnessed follow you to the next job? we need to think about this pretty hard.

I'm not defending Chevy, more just trying to understand the boundaries of where everyone might be responsible in situations like this. Its important to get this right and not necessarily paint everyone with the same brush, imo anyway.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

For that moment in the meeting I can buy that…yes he might have believed it was being taken care of. But what about Aldrich being on the ice to lift the cup, the parade, the ring, etc. It should have been obvious to everyone that nothing was done?  Aldrich is in all the celebratory pictures but I don’t see Beach anywhere.

I can’t help noticing that even a couple of people that Beach thanks for their support, Vincent and Torchetti, are in a photo of a small group with Aldrich posing with the cup. 

I don't know... it would be interesting to ask Chevy that question. I suspect he just didn't wan to think about it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Report it to the cops? Especially once you realize no one else is going to do anything about it. Only need integrity as a human being for that, not a high level position in the management team. 

That applies to a great many people in this sad story.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Report it to the cops? Especially once you realize no one else is going to do anything about it. Only need integrity as a human being for that, not a high level position in the management team. 

That applies to a great many people in this sad story.

OK, how about this situation: an intern at a place you work for makes an allegation. Your bosses say it will be taken care of. You leave the organization.

Are you still responsible for this person?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Not sure how old you are, but if Kyle Beach was your son, how would you feel about all this?

This is a good question torts asked as well.

An even more relevant question is what if it happened to a top player on the actual team (not a - to them - meaningless Black Ace) and it was threatening that players ability to help them with that SC?

Guaranteed Aldrich would have been gone immediately.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

John McDonough was the team president and highest ranking team member in that room.

He is the one that was going to “take care” of this which he did not.

I wonder where he has been hiding during all this.

Coming back to Chevy, if people think that players should have done something, clearly assistant general manger like Chevy should be held accountable. McDonough was Bowman’s boss but I think Stan should have gone to Rocky Wirtz after nothing was done.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

OK, how about this situation: an intern at a place you work for makes an allegation. Your bosses say it will be taken care of. You leave the organization.

Depends on your situation. If you are a manager, and get told. And do nothing, and let it continue or sweep it under the rug. That's neglecting your responsibilities.

If you are a co-worker. You hear rumours, and think it can't happen here. I'd say you were ok, but that should be a red flag. If you are a co-worker and making jokes about that employee. Then you're part of the problem.

If your co-worker tells you of an assault and don't at least try and get your co-worker help, or report the allegations. That makes a pretty lousy co-worker.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Leaving the organization is irrelevant though. 

You aren’t responsible for the person. But you are responsible for your own $&!#ty behaviour. Chevy put getting a GM job ahead of a sexual assault. That at bes makes him a POS and IMO makes him incapable of leading any group of players now.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

all good points.

Its pretty easy to think of being in a situation like this, we've all worked with creeps. But when you leave an organization, does an incident you witnessed follow you to the next job? we need to think about this pretty hard.

I'm not defending Chevy, more just trying to understand the boundaries of where everyone might be responsible in situations like this. Its important to get this right and not necessarily paint everyone with the same brush, imo anyway.

So, you are saying that people can just move to a new job or a new place to be completely absolved of any responsibility for what they did?

You should apply to the Catholic Church with that view.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Not sure how old you are, but if Kyle Beach was your son, how would you feel about all this?

Horrible of course. I have been part of the Kelowna Minor Hockey scene for twenty years and without getting into specifics, I am way close to this story. I never in any way have said any of this is acceptable and all will pay their dues. If it were my son? I would want blood. But, I'd be thankful someone has started to accept their part of the blame. Q has lost more than anyone so far other than the victim, and rightfully so. It should dent him for life. But he is the first one to admit he let Kyle down, that he failed Kyle. That's more than anyone else so far. Does it make what he did right? No.  Should he have admitted blame earlier? Yes. Forgivable? Not yet, if ever. But it's a start and it's where the healing begins. 

13 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Finally media is starting to talk about the 2nd most responsible person in this saga.

When his name getting chiseled out of 3 cups?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2021/10/30/22753139/john-mcdonough-blackhawks-president-sexual-assault-scandal-stan-bowman

Seems he doesn't want to stand up and start taking his share of the punishment and blame. So far coach Q is the only one to admit he falied Kyle. Doesn't make what he did go away, but like I said, it's more than others are doing so far. So far this guy. Bowman, players, are all hiding from their share of the blame. 

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

John McDonough was the team president and highest ranking team member in that room.

He is the one that was going to “take care” of this which he did not.

I wonder where he has been hiding during all this.

Coming back to Chevy, if people think that players should have done something, clearly assistant general manger like Chevy should be held accountable. McDonough was Bowman’s boss but I think Stan should have gone to Rocky Wirtz after nothing was done.

The issue with players was the taunting.  The reason people want Captain Clown punished is that he wasn't man enough to tell his teammates to shut their mouths.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1