The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't call Green or Shaw AHL level coaches.  Though his roster decisions aren't good, Greens system are solid and tried and true with many teams over decades.

Decades old systems are a problem. The game has changed a lot in 20 years. 

• Vintage 1

So a lightening bolt just hit me........so pardon my randomness on this comment

here is an example of a good player trying to hard and back firing...........

OK..I love Demko...great young goalie...period!

But here he now tries to move the puck directly up ice and it gets intercepted X2, luckily nothing resulted from them, but Demko is trying to hard on those plays

I love him for trying.................but, better to stay with what works for him.................just over trying!

OK, back to regular programing

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So a lightening bolt just hit me........so pardon my randomness on this comment

here is an example of a good player trying to hard and back firing...........

OK..I love Demko...great young goalie...period!

But here he now tries to move the puck directly up ice and it gets intercepted X2, luckily nothing resulted from them, but Demko is trying to hard on those plays

I love him for trying.................but, better to stay with what works for him.................just over trying!

OK, back to regular programing

its a good example actually - why do guys take it on themselves? either the team is lazy (not the case here) or the systems suck.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

top 10? eep, right now we're bottom 10, again. I just don't buy it, I look at the team on paper and thats not bottom 10 talent, it just isn't.

I'm looking at this big picture - bad pre- season prep (again); coaches game plan us easily, repeatedly; line blender desperation; confused players.

Forget about systems minutia for a moment, the big picture results stink, but they are also what Green has done every year but bubble playoff appearance, which we got into because math.

But, but, but..............I said middle 14 to 18 ish...............:picard: (God jimmy!) (inner voice!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Im not sure, and I only say that because I think this team on paper is better than what it has shown.  If Benning choses a new coach and the team turns it around it proves that the current coach cant direct the team correctly.  If the team still flounders...well...thats when the axe comes out and Benning should go.  I think Benning deserves the benefit of the doubt because the roster looks like it can do better.

At the same time some other posters have made valid points.  What if EP and BB were playing at levels we saw them play at in the past, would they even be in this hole? What if we had sutter and Motte... Im not sure. At some point the what ifs and the excuses need to end and someone needs to be accountable. 

For me it was Hamonic.   We really needed this guy back and if he was here at the start of the season, i'm not too sure we'd be below .500.    Green playing an AHL defense most nights in the bottom half or fringe NHLers... 

We haven't been blown out yet.   Also something i've brought up.   At some point heads will roll.   And then the next coach will get some of these guys back, maybe we play .550-600 hockey, maybe we don't.   Is it on Green that EP isn't going yet?   Maybe.   I don't know do you? 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Same here. Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat are more than capable of taking over a game. Same with OEL and others. With this roster, the output should be a lot better. One thing I notice is the varying degrees of effort from player to player. Some play all out, others seem tentative. The only way the team makes a dent is of they’re all on the same page. Will it happen?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Another lightening bolt moment.

I was watching the Islanders yesterday....they had a PP

The Islanders carried the puck in and never stopped moving

the defenseman ended up down low in the corner, then the puck moved around and around, and the poor

PK guys were gasping............then bang! It was in.

I loved the movement as the players and the puck were never still.

It is where our game has evolved to, where now, we call the offensive players O1, O2, O3, O 4, O5, 

It points out that the 1st 3 players entering the offensive zone may not all be forwards, but O1, O2, and O3 all have spots to go to

It also can put a forward on the point, and still everyone knows where everyone is................

We seem to be missing this....amazingly enough!

27 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Here is the thing, Jimmy

We are an incomplete team. We are still waiting for that effective, high minute RHD, and we are still waiting for our 3rd line center to appear (might be here)

People want us to be that top 10 team, it is just not there yet.

IMO, we are a 14 to 18 ish team, when firing on all cylinders

I know this will come with some disagreement, but, I disagreed with the Miller trade at the time, and hope JB will move him at the TDL, not because he is not good, but because of it, and I honestly think he will not stay, nor can we afford him, with the other contracts coming up. The return should be good if moved before he shows any sign of regression. 

I am not in the fire JB camp, but may be closer to the fire TG and assistants camp

We need some glue guys!

So we need more offence and some help at centre.

So we trade away one of our top centres that is at PPG clip? 

I understand your point about the contract though. I just think JT would be hard to replace. Big time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1