The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Streaming Canucks games on Sportsnet Now

Rate this topic

FlyLow_

I have seen many people complaining about the streaming service so far this season so I'm trying to find what works and what doesn't. It has never been great but is particularly unusable for me so far this year. I have only been able to watch a couple games until the app itself vanished from my Sony x900h tv, which of course is the only thing it worked on. I have tried it on xbox series x, ps5, and casting from my crappy phone but usually it just buffers every couple seconds for the entire game or looks horrid. For reference we cut the cord 5 years ago and this is the only app we have issues with.

I have heard mostly positive comments about Chromecast and mixed to poor results for other devices like AppleTV. Love to hear what setups people are using to stream sportsnetnow and what works and what doesn't.

Also does anyone stream to an OLED tv and get good results?

Edited by FlyLow_

App stopped working altogether on my Nvidia Shield after the recent update. Won't even load let alone stream anything.

Thankfully at least I still have the option to Chromecast from my phone. Though that was still plagued with buffering issues last night. That however may have also been my kids sucking up bandwidth with their devices as it improved after they went to bed.

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

App stopped working altogether on my Nvidia Shield after the recent update. Won't even load let alone stream anything.

Thankfully at least I still have the option to Chromecast from my phone. Though that was still plagued with buffering issues last night. That however may have also been my kids sucking up bandwidth with their devices as it improved after they went to bed.

New rules in the aGent's household: 7pm bedtime on home games, 4pm-7pm mandatory siestas on away games

SportsnetNow was great for me up until last night's game, which seemed dark and grainy. This may be because it seemed like the stream was being borrowed from CBC. I had no complaints until Saturday.

Also, prior to this I had been Jack Sparrowing my way through streams, which usually relied on NHL Gamecentre. These streams never showed the intermission broadcasts. After getting SportsnetNow and being exposed to out-of-market streams in the United States... holy cow are we fortunate for the production quality we have. 

Used to pay for this app to stream games.  It was so terrible (buffering, freezing etc.) That I had to cancel and go back to "other sources".

Sad when you try and do the right thing and the companies getting rich off the sport can't even put out a working app.

• Cheers 1

Been using for for 3ish years now streaming from the app on my phone through Chromecast.  Has always been worth it to get excellent quality on the big screen tv.

This year it's been almost unwatchable. Constant buffering. Had to switch to "other sources" to watch the game against Philly.

Will be cancelling soon if doesn't fix itself

5 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Preseason was rough they barely worked, but I have no issues since the regular season started

It's not perfect, but it has been much better in the regular season. Still definitely not perfect and sometimes you need to refresh to catch back up to Live after it lags out too many times. I look at it as shorter commercial breaks, as I just catch back up to live during those or the intermission.

Apple TV.

Average at best. Feed is choppy.

I stand alone in that I like my panel and the feed won't keep up with the lips.

Feed can be blurry and it can get a play back error....whatever that is and turn off.

I love hockey so I got the plus package.

Has been amazing not watching the Canucks. That's not a jab I just really enjoy the NHL and admire the skill.

Edited by Chris12345

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's not perfect, but it has been much better in the regular season. Still definitely not perfect and sometimes you need to refresh to catch back up to Live after it lags out too many times. I look at it as shorter commercial breaks, as I just catch back up to live during those or the intermission.

I’ve never had that issue at all during the regular season, I’m using a Samsung smart tv with the sn app (through the tv) though I did do a factory reset on my tv recently 

1 minute ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I’ve never had that issue at all during the regular season, I’m using a Samsung smart tv with the sn app (through the tv) though I did do a factory reset on my tv recently 

Yeah I've always just used it on my PC. Maybe there's a difference. It's definitely largely watchable though. The issues aren't enough that it's a huge deal.

I watch on the computer as well.  A nice 27" retina screen iMac does just fine.

This year I was eligible to stream SN games because of family accounts.  I tried a few times, but now I just go directly to my past, shall we say covert, streaming service :ph34r:, which I won't link here. 

Too many freezes.  It could be because of peak times, more online then, and the resolution that SN broadcast video, but for whatever reason, its so much less of a headache to just go directly to my usual source I've used for years now.  Maybe the resolution isn't quite as crisp all the time, but at least it doesn't freeze....on SN its usually just when the PP is on.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:00 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Chromecast is working fairly good for me. Got it just for games last week.

I've got my hands on a Chromecast with google, this is the first game I'm trying it and the quality is noticeably better already. There are a lot of times when the quality drops but it's not freezing or stuttering like every other device I've tried. I imagine if I hard wire it with ethernet it will be pretty good.

Edited by FlyLow_