The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leadership

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

On 11/7/2021 at 8:18 AM, JM_ said:

anyone else find it ironic that someone is complaining that Benning didn't bring in enough veteran leadership?

I do think the leadership is there and we're seeing it backed up on the ice by Bo, OEL, Myers, Garland in particular. This isn't a problem area.

Right   leadership is not an issue. It's either that all these new players haven't learned to play together yet........or coaching. 

I think its coaching.

Ppl on this board over estimate the influence of the assistants. They are under the authority of green.  If  coaching is the problem it falls on him

I just won't know what to think if we go on a run now.  I probably still won't like green. 

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Right   leadership is not an issue. It's either that all these new players haven't learned to play together yet........or coaching. 

I think its coaching.

Ppl on this board over estimate the influence of the assistants. They are under the authority of green.  If  coaching is the problem it falls on him

I just won't know what to think if we go on a run now.  I probably still won't like green. 

I think Green relies on his assistants a lot, its his first NHL job and he seems to really need them.

Its why I want to see this group get a coach thats won the cup, for the confidence boost.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:58 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

I have to wonder about leadership and the way this team is currently being motivated and why they are slumping.

Yeah, Bo is still Captain, and I am not suggesting he should be replaced, but there are some past leaders missing from the dressing room.

Marky, Edler, Tanev, Beagle... all these guys were calming influences who settled down the team when they started to panic.

Their replacements are not the same.  When Benning got rid of these guys, he should have found some players who had character.

Not that I am suggesting Markstrom should still be a Canuck.  (although Benning should have gotten something for him... letting a potential Vezina trophy nominee walk with no return is inexusable)

I didn't like Tanev's departure... the replacement we saw, i.e. Nate Schmidt was basically invisible when it comes to leadership.  (not to mention his mediocre play and 1.5 million dollar extra cost)

I also have to wonder if Edler could have been signed at a home town discount... maybe he would have been more expensive than the alternatives, but the intangibles he brought to the dressing room have to be considered.

Certainly I am not seeing any leadership coming from Green.

How do you know leadership is missing from room?

The gossip I heard was Nate Schmidt was anything but invisible.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I think Green relies on his assistants a lot, its his first NHL job and he seems to really need them.

Its why I want to see this group get a coach thats won the cup, for the confidence boost.

I mean, the assistants' job is to assist the GM, so there is nothing wrong for Green to rely on them.

A manager who does all the job by themselves is not a good manager.

The important thing is that they need to coordinate and lead the team to achieve the target result, which so far, Green has not been able to achieve.

51 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

That's a problem. 

it is, because its pretty clear they don't adjust enough or quickly. In-game adjustments, outside of Greens line blender, are missing.

But it is what it is. I do think we have a ton of talent on this team and hopefully if its not this year, maybe next  summer Jim goes and gets a better group to take the team to the next level.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

This is an odd transitional phase where the players we have now have to grow into their leadership roles. In the past guys like Kesler and Edler became leaders, but only after years of grinding and playing well.

Now we've got kids like Boeser and Horvat who are no longer kids, but need to start behaving like adults and leaders on the team. I have faith in Bo, and see a guy like Miller really becoming a leader in this team as well. OEL looks quite vocal as well and is bringing some experience as a bit of a leader on the blueline which is nice to see.

I think in a couple of seasons time though, we really should expect guys like Hughes, Petey and Demko to be leaders as well (even if they're not the most outspoken). 

Right now though I think it mainly falls on the shoulders of Bo, Miller, OEL, hopefully Sutter when he's back and maybe even Hamonic.

19 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think its coaching.

Yeah. Not everyone will like the coach whoever that'll be. Even if we hired another coach, there will be a portion of the fan base that will hate that hire. Comes with the territory. 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is an odd transitional phase where the players we have now have to grow into their leadership roles. In the past guys like Kesler and Edler became leaders, but only after years of grinding and playing well.

Now we've got kids like Boeser and Horvat who are no longer kids, but need to start behaving like adults and leaders on the team. I have faith in Bo, and see a guy like Miller really becoming a leader in this team as well. OEL looks quite vocal as well and is bringing some experience as a bit of a leader on the blueline which is nice to see.

I think in a couple of seasons time though, we really should expect guys like Hughes, Petey and Demko to be leaders as well (even if they're not the most outspoken). 

Right now though I think it mainly falls on the shoulders of Bo, Miller, OEL, hopefully Sutter when he's back and maybe even Hamonic.

I think we still have a pretty young-ish team. 

I think sometimes fans (myself included) sometimes think you just gotta NHL21 it. Put together a core group of talented players, and they'll get wins. But the thing is, even these extremely talented players need good coaching and systems to thrive. Players don't get to success on their own, nobody does. Everyone needs everyone else to do their jobs and roles extremely well. If not, it just won't work. 

Bo's 26 years old already. How can that be? It's been that long? Wow!

But this team needs to start learning how to win. They're young-ish, but they're not THAT young. 

Bo - 26

Miller - 28

Garland - 25 

Demko - 25 

Pettersson - 22

Hughes - 22

Podkolzin - 20

Höglander - 20

Dickinson - 26

Boeser - 24

Those are the players I consider as core and supporting cast. Everyone else is like role players that are easily replaceable. A dime a dozen kind of players. 

Those guys median age is 23.8. 

Okay. still on the younger side, which is why I think this is the time they need to start transitioning to learning how to win. By the time that median age rises to 25/26 years old, they should be contending. 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:58 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

I have to wonder about leadership and the way this team is currently being motivated and why they are slumping.

Yeah, Bo is still Captain, and I am not suggesting he should be replaced, but there are some past leaders missing from the dressing room.

Marky, Edler, Tanev, Beagle... all these guys were calming influences who settled down the team when they started to panic.

Their replacements are not the same.  When Benning got rid of these guys, he should have found some players who had character.

Not that I am suggesting Markstrom should still be a Canuck.  (although Benning should have gotten something for him... letting a potential Vezina trophy nominee walk with no return is inexusable)

I didn't like Tanev's departure... the replacement we saw, i.e. Nate Schmidt was basically invisible when it comes to leadership.  (not to mention his mediocre play and 1.5 million dollar extra cost)

I also have to wonder if Edler could have been signed at a home town discount... maybe he would have been more expensive than the alternatives, but the intangibles he brought to the dressing room have to be considered.

yeah but thank God Tanev is gone, not because I didn't like him but when he gets injured, we never had anyone to sub in and we'd go on a losing streak, Edler same thing and no way would he stay in Vancouver for a discount like you think, however OEL was a upgrade on either one you pick and Hamonic is a good enough 2nd pairing pairing on almost any team in the league.

Actually it's not even a matter of leadership at all, everything went south as we started the season without Petey, Hughes, Motte, Sutter and then Boeser injured, so the start was sluggish as it would have been for any team with those kind of players not in the line-up.

Markstrom for longer? why? We have Demko, Markstrom would have ended up pushing the cap up for no reason because Demko needed to be signed long term made Markstrom redundant and there was no way he was going to sign for a year or 2 which was smart of him so he had to move on, no big deal.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think we still have a pretty young-ish team. 

I think sometimes fans (myself included) sometimes think you just gotta NHL21 it. Put together a core group of talented players, and they'll get wins. But the thing is, even these extremely talented players need good coaching and systems to thrive. Players don't get to success on their own, nobody does. Everyone needs everyone else to do their jobs and roles extremely well. If not, it just won't work. 

Bo's 26 years old already. How can that be? It's been that long? Wow!

But this team needs to start learning how to win. They're young-ish, but they're not THAT young. 

Bo - 26

Miller - 28

Garland - 25 

Demko - 25 

Pettersson - 22

Hughes - 22

Podkolzin - 20

Höglander - 20

Dickinson - 26

Boeser - 24

Those are the players I consider as core and supporting cast. Everyone else is like role players that are easily replaceable. A dime a dozen kind of players. 

Those guys median age is 23.8. 

Okay. still on the younger side, which is why I think this is the time they need to start transitioning to learning how to win. By the time that median age rises to 25/26 years old, they should be contending. 

I usually never comment but I had to for this post. How do you have Dickinson in that list but not OEL....? 

On 11/7/2021 at 6:40 PM, Alflives said:

The Trolls are out.  

image.jpeg.7732420e216047287775cb6dbead4d3a.jpeg

other  teams stacked with leadership and character play with passion and heart because these players love the game. Canucks players don't play with passion and heart. How do you explain that Canucks players don't play with passion?

Curious what your response will look like.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

thanks for initiating this post. The following tweet clearly indicates that some players lack character. You would expect from a Canadian hockey team that he effort is there every night, but this is obviously not the case with the Canucks: