The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

When I consider our top six in the years going forward, I trade Miller to help boost our D every time if I can. Hamonic, Myers, and OEL ain't getting any younger going forward and we don't exactly have a bunch of D prospects waiting to break in. 

Rathbone, Woo, they're the only ones who are close.

Yeah. Those two are the closest. I'd agree. But we have other defensive prospects in the pipeline. Jurmo the most recent pick comes to mind. How's he playing and developing by the way? 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

But a lot of people defending the coaches were claiming that there was no way the players were being told to stand still and it was an execution issue.  This appears to prove otherwise.

I honestly think staff was determined to make 2 plays work. 

1) Chiasson net front screen and perimeter shooting 

2)the bumper pass to Horvat.

The pp literally consisted of only those 2 options. 

What a waste of camp and 10 games lol.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

But a lot of people defending the coaches were claiming that there was no way the players were being told to stand still and it was an execution issue.  This appears to prove otherwise.

I think it's a combination of bad coaching and players not executing. It's never just one thing. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Also a huge waste of creative players.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Agree with what you said. However, Miller is actually more vital to the Canucks roster than Boeser. Miller is more experienced, faster skater than Boeser, great wrist shot and decent slap shot, can play centre, PP and PK, leads the rush, plays physical along the boards, a goal scorer that also makes plays. 

This is the problem facing the team this summer. Boeser is younger but a bit injury prone and less versatile. Boeser is sort like Tarasenko. I think Travis Green cannot live without Miller. 

I'm not seeing how it's a problem to retain both Brock and Miller.  Brock is up for renewal this summer when Luongo's 3 million comes off the books.  Mott may be due for a small raise too, but that 3 mil should cover both of them with some left over.  Miller is up the following year when Ferland's 3.5 mil comes off the books.  Bo and Hoglander are also due then, but Hamonic comes off the books too so that's 6.5 to accommodate raises for the 3 of them plus an entry level RD like Woo.  It should be doable. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

^ how close did people come to having this as their opening day lineup?

Lol don't even Hahaha. 

Gets me all fired up. 

Although I'd switch Garland and Hogz for whoever is going well that day. 

But then again.... Why is Pearson joined at the hip with Horvat? 

What happens when you try separating those 2?

They have "good chemistry". But what if a line of something like Garland Horvat Podz becomes unstoppable? 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Vintage 4

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'm not seeing how it's a problem to retain both Brock and Miller.  Brock is up for renewal this summer when Luongo's 3 million comes off the books.  Mott may be due for a small raise too, but that 3 mil should cover both of them with some left over.  Miller is up the following year when Ferland's 3.5 mil comes off the books.  Bo and Hoglander are also due then, but Hamonic comes off the books too so that's 6.5 to accommodate raises for the 3 of them plus an entry level RD like Woo.  It should be doable. 

we get squeezed on some of the support guys. We have 10 mil in cap space for next year, prob 11 if they raise the cap by 1 mil. So assuming Boeser gets 8.5 that doesn't leave a lot for 4C, 3LHD, and a couple of depth wingers. And Mikey as backup. And Rathbone's bridge.

Miller is on a super reasonable deal tho at 5.25 so that makes you want to keep it, but for a nearly ppg player thats a nice trade chip too. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. Those two are the closest. I'd agree. But we have other defensive prospects in the pipeline. Jurmo the most recent pick comes to mind. How's he playing and developing by the way? 

We do, but no real standouts beyond Rathbone and Woo. We could really use more blue chip D in the system, I wouldn't be opposed to using our first on one this year depending on where we land and who's available. 

Jurmo's got some great tools, but he's a very raw prospect. Has potential though, no question. From what I've read in his prospect thread he's taken a step forward this season, playing bigger minutes in a respectable mens league. But that's great for his being 19. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

You must be too young to remember Mike Milbury's tenure with the Islanders.

QFT. When Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and a 1st for Alexi Yashin isn't even considered your worst trade, you've entered a new category of bad....

That being said, I'll always be grateful to MM. Even though it cost us Trevor Linden, getting Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe (who Burkie parlayed into drafting both Twins) and a draft pick that turned into superpest, Jarkko Ruutu, was a great day in Canucks history.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol don't even Hahaha. 

Gets me all fired up. 

Although I'd switch Garland and Hogz for whoever is going well that day. 

But then again.... Why is Pearson joined at the hip with Horvat? 

What happens when you try separating those 2?

They have "good chemistry". But what if a line of something like Garland Horvat Podz becomes unstoppable? 

Pearson is good along the wall tho, and can be trusted defensively. He's the one that lets Bo and Hogs activate the way they do. Its not flashy but if you take him out of there, who's going to do that job better? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I didn't get to see the game yesterday, but was Chiasson still on the powerplay units? 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Pearson is good along the wall tho, and can be trusted defensively. He's the one that lets Bo and Hogs activate the way they do. Its not flashy but if you take him out of there, who's going to do that job better? 

Good point. He does the unnoticed things well and still chips in offensively. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I didn't get to see the game yesterday, but was Chiasson still on the powerplay units? 

No he was a scratch yesterday. 

I got worried when I saw the practice lines today and saw that he might be taking bailey's spot on 4th and then I started to freak thinking they might put him back at pp1

• Cheers 1