The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Rabid Rooster said:

The best pk involves being aggressive. Standing 6 feet away and swinging your stick is useless. Don’t give the pp time, get in their face immediately and don’t give them so many options.

Agree. It's better to get in their face and let them beat you with some fancy stick work and agility rather than give them time and space to make a cross ice pass. Most NHL players good enough to play on #1PP will make those passes. I honestly feel like Podkolzin could be coached into becoming a great PKer and possibly even Garland and Hoglander. All three guys are intelligent and knows how to win puck battles.

The only exception where being in your face could backfire is if it's McDavid. Then you need a different strategy because you will end up getting beat if you get too close in his face. But then, no other team has figured it out thus far.

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

yup, with that pair we might actually have that 3rd scoring line. I wish Dickie was showing a little better but they aren't a defensive problem either so maybe if Green can stop the line blender for a bit here we'll have a top 9. 

Exactly 

I can see how if those 3 lines start to get some real consistency together they will be great. 

Each line is well balanced to so the threat isnt just from one guy who is carrying the line like kesler would.

now just get the PK working

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Rabid Rooster said:

The best pk involves being aggressive. Standing 6 feet away and swinging your stick is useless. Don’t give the pp time, get in their face immediately and don’t give them so many options.

Yup. Taking away time and space. We see good players like Petey get pressured and lose the puck. 

Fine line though between high pressure and running around creating seams everywhere

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

Exactly 

I can see how if those 3 lines start to get some real consistency together they will be great. 

Each line is well balanced to so the threat isnt just from one guy who is carrying the line like kesler would.

now just get the PK working

Motte is the straw that stirs that drink.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think we should be looking to pick up a LD either on waivers or via trade. It doesn't have to be someone flashy (to fit in our top 6), just solid, leaving Burroughs able to fill in on either side. I'm guessing/hoping there is some kind of contingency plan, unless Burroughs was the plan all along. :emot-parrot:

I would not be the slightest surprised if Rathbone ends up being the trade chip, for a defensive LD... offensive D men are valuable commodities, and although he has broken through, the signs were there, that he had potential. Now that QH has signed for 6 years, Rathbone is of less urgency. All depends of interest, but Benning has shown us enough times, he s not hesitant to pull the trigger regarding a prospect, if he feels the team need an upgrade in any position.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree. It's better to get in their face and let them beat you with some fancy stick work and agility rather than give them time and space to make a cross ice pass. Most NHL players good enough to play on #1PP will make those passes. I honestly feel like Podkolzin could be coached into becoming a great PKer and possibly even Garland and Hoglander. All three guys are intelligent and knows how to win puck battles.

The only exception where being in your face could backfire is if it's McDavid. Then you need a different strategy because you will end up getting beat if you get too close in his face. But then, no other team has figured it out thus far.

A successful cross-ice or crease pass is more likely of you're playing them tight rather than collapsing. The PK is going to give up space no matter what.

If you want the PKers to play close to the attackers you're giving up space in the middle of the ice. That's space for a passing lane to develop or for a forward to slink into for a shot (when Horvat moves into the slot for his 1 timer). Higher risk of a cross ice pass being successful, but higher chance of forcing an error and getting a take-away. 

If you want the PKers to collapse to the net, you remove more of the space in the middle of the ice, but surrender the perimiter. The PP can throw it around the outside more and are less likely to turn the puck over, but have a harder time going cross-ice.

The key is adjusting on the fly based on the skill set of the PP, how they try to gain the zone, how fresh the ice is, etc, etc.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

If I remember correctly, without google, he played just a few games with Canucks, maybe 40 or so, most of them with twins. He scores some nice goals . But definitely, he does not have experience to be Canucks' PP coach. If it was in my native Ukraine, I would say- for sure, dude has some connections. Here- I don't know why he was awarded with this position.

I believe he had a total of 59 NHL games. As soon as he was traded from Vancouver to Anaheim (after refusing to sign a QA, I believe) he was demoted to the minors and his NHL career never recovered. 

1 hour ago, Rabid Rooster said:

I kinda think the Canucks should give Hughes a chance on the PK.  I might prefer that rather than having a weak left side clear.  Plus he has shown his 5 v 5 defense is much better this year.

12 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I kinda think the Canucks should give Hughes a chance on the PK.  I might prefer that rather than having a weak left side clear.  Plus he has shown his 5 v 5 defense is much better this year.

Dunno about that.

I don't particularly want QH to block a shot on the PK.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I believe he had a total of 59 NHL games. As soon as he was traded from Vancouver to Anaheim (after refusing to sign a QA, I believe) he was demoted to the minors and his NHL career never recovered. 

Remember when he played with the Sedin's breifly and they called them the matress line? :lol: Two twins and a King! :picard::picard: :lol:

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I would not be the slightest surprised if Rathbone ends up being the trade chip, for a defensive LD... offensive D men are valuable commodities, and although he has broken through, the signs were there, that he had potential. Now that QH has signed for 6 years, Rathbone is of less urgency. All depends of interest, but Benning has shown us enough times, he s not hesitant to pull the trigger regarding a prospect, if he feels the team need an upgrade in any position.

Been saying it. You cant have both qh and rathbone on same team and expect to be competitive.   Youll likely see Rathbone dealt for a bigger ld that can defend. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Next question: will Green know how to use the player or will he even use the player - don't want another, Nate Schmidt situation.

If Iam JB, I would ask Green for a short list of players.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yea it really shouldn’t have taken that long to figure that out.

Either the players just weren’t listening or that’s what the coach was drawing up for them.

Either one is equally concerning.

Considering Montreal's record, we should steal there pp coach. 

You may have heard of him??

Bonus is the original "do we really need him" thread can be updated.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rabid Rooster said:

An aggressive pk can be good, to a point.  If you're going to be aggressive, you really have to pick your spot and the second the puck is gone you have to be dogged getting back to your spot.  It can work, but as often as not, you get burned being out of position

6 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Completely agree. Loosing those 2 players definitely soured me on Benning a little. I still think our D is better with Juolevi on it then hunt/ New Bur on his offside, and I didn't think Rathbone was ready even in the preseason.

The Gadjovich  loss definitely hurt but Juolevi showing up at camp in suspect shape was a huge red flag. After the Virtanen fiasco { as per conditioning, not the other thing}

every rookie and prospect will be under extra scrutiny for conditioning. I wish they had made the Juolevi trade right after he made a spectacle of himself in that bag skate, then

Lammikko would have clued into the PK system much sooner.