The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

The most annoying thing about the PP was just how easy and obvious the fix was. Who'd have thought that moving and allowing anyone to take the shot when they get an opening would be beneficial to the PP? Shocking.

The penalty kill is a huge problem, and it's likely not as easily solved as the PP issues are. Benning may have to make a trade for a LD that can come in and kill some penalties. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Face offs have never been his forte.

Even he will tell you that. He’s a great 3rd/4th guy though who will give you reliability, energy, aggressive checking and 100% every night. 

Wish we still had Malhotra to coach his face offs though. 

Well he should have a red bull before the game. 

• Haha 2

The face of a man who wolfs down his 2:30am Denny’s GrandSlam breakfast before you even start on yours and then stares at you from across the table asking you “are you gonna finish that?”…

The face of a man who visits the barber and only asks for a little off the front…

The face of a man who’s iroc z28 camaro backfires so loud and so often you can hear it in the next town…

image.jpeg.3359ec9371a3dcb2107114b30774469b.jpeg

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 1

37 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The most annoying thing about the PP was just how easy and obvious the fix was. Who'd have thought that moving and allowing anyone to take the shot when they get an opening would be beneficial to the PP? Shocking.

Not like CDC was calling for that since the season started or anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I don’t mean any offense to Jason King or anything like that, but if I’m an offensive dynamo type player I want to be inspired by a coach, especially a PP coach, who has shown that they excelled in the NHL in what they are attempting to teach me, not just made it to the pros and took on a low level utility role. 

Again, no offense to King, but his resume doesn’t exactly inspire or equate to “expertise”.  59 GP total. I also realize not all coaches are former NHL darlings, but when I think of King, imho, I think more of him as a team’s video analyst than an NHL assistant coach.

While I agree that King's coaching resume is not compelling, and don't believe he should have the role that he has been given, I don't think any coached should be judged on his ability to coach by his player resume. Maybe we should bring the greatest coach to ever lace up the skates back onto the bench by your reasoning? 

Overall a decent game but still some major glaring errors (giveaways/ missing coverage) on defense that really needs to be cleaned up. PP as expected better, because they did something "different" when there was an opening and just shot. Hopefully they can have 3-4 shots each PP. 

What I would like to see are the players have quicker releases though and not the need to take slap shot blast every shot. Petey's goal was a great example, just found an opening and quickly shot through traffic - something like what Hughes does - goalie did not even have chance to set.

Good luck to them next game and hopefully keep improving on their areas of weakness.

20 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

While I agree that King's coaching resume is not compelling, and don't believe he should have the role that he has been given, I don't think any coached should be judged on his ability to coach by his player resume. Maybe we should bring the greatest coach to ever lace up the skates back onto the bench by your reasoning? 

I'd hire The Great One, if only to chap the Oilers cheeks.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Read your post twice and fail to see anywhere in it where you're offending Jason King. I was baffled by that hiring and the keeping of Bumgardener.

King hasn't proven anything at the NHL level, coaching-wise. He was an assistant for the St. Johns Ice Caps, Winnipeg's minor league affiliate, shortly after retiring from playing in the NHL, and moved to Director of Hockey Operations after two years. Then he worked as an assistant coach for the Comets for a year, I think. None of that experience would lead anyone to believe that he'd be a suitable coach to run the powerplay for an NHL team that has the amount of talent on it that Vancouver has. 

If I remember correctly, without google, he played just a few games with Canucks, maybe 40 or so, most of them with twins. He scores some nice goals . But definitely, he does not have experience to be Canucks' PP coach. If it was in my native Ukraine, I would say- for sure, dude has some connections. Here- I don't know why he was awarded with this position.

9 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Depends…who would that be?

I just look at it this way…if you’re learning a trade or being asked to perform a trade a certain or specific way, wouldn’t you rather learn it from someone who can teach it from first hand experience that they can point to, illustrate with, exemplify from, rather than have someone who mostly watched someone else do it, never really performed it themselves to have tangible experience to draw from, and to put it bluntly, has less talent, vision and natural ability than you do and yet is still instructing you how to do a job that they were never counted on to do themselves.  

Doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s not even a respect issue.

It’s more about King understanding/recognizing the talent he has to work with and how to best utilize it. Proof’s in the pudding…PP didn’t function at all until there seemed to be player pushback.

No wonder there was some visible disconnect.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The penalty kill is a huge problem, and it's likely not as easily solved as the PP issues are. Benning may have to make a trade for a LD that can come in and kill some penalties. 

Yeah. The PP coach needs to be fired. It took them 12 games to figure out that the PP players needed to move and you can't rely on 1 person (Petey) to shoot the puck

3 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Yeah. The PP coach needs to be fired. It took them 12 games to figure out that the PP players needed to move and you can't rely on 1 person (Petey) to shoot the puck

Yea it really shouldn’t have taken that long to figure that out.

Either the players just weren’t listening or that’s what the coach was drawing up for them.

Either one is equally concerning.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea it really shouldn’t have taken that long to figure that out.

Either the players just weren’t listening or that’s what the coach was drawing up for them.

Either one is equally concerning.

image.gif.bf4739aa42db8ed563a17b4575a93348.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

felt the same way regarding Rathbone... was really concerned about who was going to do the defending and hard minutes... its all very well to have offensive flair players on the backend, but you need to have players able to defend as well... It was obvious from the first game of the season, we weren't strong enough defensively, and only question was really why it took so long for Green to send Rathbone back down... but guess it was not easy after choosing him over OJ. 

I think we should be looking to pick up a LD either on waivers or via trade. It doesn't have to be someone flashy (to fit in our top 6), just solid, leaving Burroughs able to fill in on either side. I'm guessing/hoping there is some kind of contingency plan, unless Burroughs was the plan all along. :emot-parrot:

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The best pk involves being aggressive. Standing 6 feet away and swinging your stick is useless. Don’t give the pp time, get in their face immediately and don’t give them so many options.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

I don’t mean any offense to Jason King or anything like that, but if I’m an offensive dynamo type player I want to be inspired by a coach, especially a PP coach, who has shown that they excelled in the NHL in what they are attempting to teach me, not just made it to the pros and took on a low level utility role. 

Again, no offense to King, but his resume doesn’t exactly inspire or equate to “expertise”.  59 GP total. I also realize not all coaches are former NHL darlings, but when I think of King, imho, I think more of him as a team’s video analyst than an NHL assistant coach.

End of game against the Preds, you could see the players shaking their heads or arguing with King. That's when the players decided they had it with the set up and take over. And the PP worked against the Stars.

It almost felt like the players were treating PP as regular 5-on-5 play with players going to the net and change positions freely. And I think that was the right mindset. Just go out there and play it as if though it's a 5-on-5, only that there will always be one guy open and if that guy is always moving his feet, the defender will have to track him and then somebody else will become open and so on.

It's nothing against Jason King, it's just that the set up has been exposed since last season and it simply doesn't work anymore. Either he and the other coaches come up with something new or just let the players play it as they see fit. That's better than repeating the PP set up that doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1