The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 11, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, cocanuck said:

There seems to be a big problem in the room,, hirsch alluded to it as well.. why did schmidt want out so quickly? The team is constructed with perimeter players with skill,, however, which players do the dirty work?  All teams need role players,, are we relying on pods and hoggie for this?  What about everybody else!  Who on this team diggs and fights and goes to the dirty areas?  

Personally I'd say this is what happens when you focus on speed, and skill, and forget you need players with size to take on the physical stuff as well.

Great teams are all about balance. The foundation with Demko is solid. The trouble is outside the net the team is pretty shaky. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I love this team and that's no secret.  But you have to wonder "why", there's no logic in this.  We have some great individual players yet we can't get them to succeed on a sustained basis.  For me, that is starting to really point to the those leading the charge who aren't communicating their "visions/strategies/systems" very well to the ones expected to implement them.

I feel it's time to try new coaches (not just coach....take Baumer and King out as part of the package).  The body language and communication on the bench is clearly tense and even though it's normal during horrible losing streaks to see that, the coach has to be composed and lead.  If there are issues in the room, they should help identify and correct them (along with the captain, who I'm convinced DOES lead but just away from the glaring spotlight).  Miller too...I'm sure he's a guy who won't tolerate sitting silently as this thing hits the iceberg.

I heard a clip from Green recently (during practice) where he came off as too cool for school and I wonder if he's stuck on ideas and  unwilling to be proven wrong?  For me, coaches who start to yell at their team and poke and prod them are lacking in other strategies to get them motivated.  It may scare them into having an impact, but the relationship sours and you get tuned out.  I realllly feel like the players are tuning him out and what I see happening on the bench reinforces that for me.

Truth be told (and this is something kind of insignificant and stupid...but is it?), I've also come to HATE the pre-game slo-mo videos of the boys boarding planes/buses, looking sharp, etc.  Screw all that, this isn't Hollywood.  I made a comment about JT wearing work boots (remember they did that once?) but it's not far off the thinking that they have to have that mentality.  I don't want ego and "image is everything" crap to seep in.  On ice is everything...the glory and the fame don't come before that, they come after it.  I used to love the behind the scenes sneak peeks but it was players being "human".  Playing poker on a plane.  Laughing and having some fun.  Now it's a parade of individuals looking slick...the marketing is starting to grate on me.  We have these huge, elaborate pre-game movies and I'm doing a complete 180 here...used to love them.  When I'm there in person, I get it (still do).  But hockey is the real show.  All that means nothing if the on ice product isn't the blockbuster event.  Somehow the hockey gets smothered in it at times.  This is the stuff to draw people in and about $$ but it won't keep them here for long if the team doesn't live up to the hype.

I have confidence in the players but I want someone to get them fully focused on the job at hand.  I don't want to hear them talking or see them strutting their stuff.  I want them to have pre and post games that shut all this other stuff out.  I wish they'd decline having video cameras following them around until they do....tell everyone to piss off (in stronger phrasing).

I don't want Podz and Hoglander (and Petey and Quinn and Brock and etc.) to get wrecked and it's clearly apparent that something needs to give here.  I feel it's the coaches at this point, even if it's not their "fault" or they're maybe not fully to blame, change is required.  If it isn't working, at some point, you have to try something different.

I won't ever abandon ship...I'm a lifer and will suffer along with my team and cheer them on regardless.   I will defend them, even as everyone around me is telling me how much they suck.   I see so much potential and it's gut wrenching to see it all being wasted.  And we've tried moving players in/out but maybe it's a matter of the guys responsible for overseeing them on the bench are stale and without answers. 

I'm frustrated.  I get a game where I think "ok, maybe this is it (the turning point)" and then this gong show happens.  If we get a good win on Saturday it has to be followed by another.  We can't "dabble" in success...we have to find success.

I agree with you.  I am sure that there is a coach who is out there somewhere who does not have a coaching job like this team make-up and might have seen something wrong and has his own solution on how to help this team to a next level.   I hope that Jim Benning is able to find a right coach.  I like Benning work and every time I see a traded player to a new team, he prospered elsewhere so I figured, why couldn't they also prosper here while they were here?   Benning does know how to find right players through draft but it is up to coach to develop that player and I am afraid that Green is not a type of developing coach and is more of an old school coach with dump and chase tactics that is o typically not used elsewhere in a NHL team and when players coming out from college, junior is not using that tactics.  You do not normally want to rely on goaltending to bail you out every game and this is not a normal style and it has been a long time.   He relied on borderline veterans to save his job and that is not a trait of a coach I want ot see if he couldn't use the young players to become a successful player in the league.  Players are not that dumb, they can read the room and can tune a coach out if he is not able to utilize them properly.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I love this team and that's no secret.  But you have to wonder "why", there's no logic in this.  We have some great individual players yet we can't get them to succeed on a sustained basis.  For me, that is starting to really point to the those leading the charge who aren't communicating their "visions/strategies/systems" very well to the ones expected to implement them.

this part sums it up for me. There are just too many things that signal the need for a bench change. And we're at the point where we need to really find out if its the bench or the boys, we can't make proper roster changes until we know that for sure.  We need some bottom 6 C help but outside of that we are not this bad, on paper at least.

What worries me is playing from behind all the time is going to start to lead to injuries, and once that starts this thing is really done. 

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

I agree with you.  I am sure that there is a coach who is out there somewhere who does not have a coaching job like this team make-up and might have seen something wrong and has his own solution on how to help this team to a next level.   I hope that Jim Benning is able to find a right coach.  I like Benning work and every time I see a traded player to a new team, he prospered elsewhere so I figured, why couldn't they also prosper here while they were here?   Benning does know how to find right players through draft but it is up to coach to develop that player and I am afraid that Green is not a type of developing coach and is more of an old school coach with dump and chase tactics that is o typically not used elsewhere in a NHL team and when players coming out from college, junior is not using that tactics.  You do not normally want to rely on goaltending to bail you out every game and this is not a normal style and it has been a long time.   He relied on borderline veterans to save his job and that is not a trait of a coach I want ot see if he couldn't use the young players to become a successful player in the league.  Players are not that dumb, they can read the room and can tune a coach out if he is not able to utilize them properly.

That's what "managing" is.  It's not just putting the right players on the team (which Benning largely has, look at all the new acquisitions for example this season, they're the ones playing well).  It's also the supporting staff (coaching).  Seems like we lack a true Team President who can handle the administrative stuff.  Leave Jim Benning to the hockey operations.

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this makes me wonder what percentage of people in Costco are stoned. 

A lot more than you’d think, would be my guess. 
The place is straight up terrible. 
Way too many people and huge lines.  
The place sucks almost as much as the Canucks.    I gotta be at least a little bit altered or I don’t want to.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

I have a lot of patience but I'm reaching my limit with Green and JB.

I've joined the #Firegreen bandwagon. I'll wait to see what happens next before joining team #Firebenning.

At this point, making the playoffs is out of question, all it matters now is hiring a coach that lead the Canucks to a respective record, like above .500 hockey or even .500 record and miss the playoffs is where I think Benning should keep his job for next season in 2022-23 season.  He has an opportunity to find a right coach and it's time for Green to let go.  

Edited by coolboarder

I normally don't post, but enough is enough. The coaching staff has to go. They have lost the team. The system is so stale, every good team has figured us out.

Penalty kill is atrocious , 4 guys stand in a square? Don't believe me? Rewind the tapes. They are basically  pilons. No pressure at all. Won't matter who you put out there.

Their attacking playbook is so stale, hell even I could even write the playbook.

Play 1. Everyone stand at the offensive blue line and drop pass to the last guy to rush it into the o zone

Play 2. Dump puck in and chase. Don't care if the other team has mobile defense or not.

Play 3. My favorite the bloody Hail Mary lob/ blind cross diagonal pass and hope it goes right.

Don't believe me? Rewind the tapes.

Not gonna continue with the powerplay, you get the idea.

There is something very very wrong with our system and it reflects in the standings. angry angry:mad:.train discover GIF

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

The place sucks almost as much as the Canucks.    I gotta be at least a little bit altered or I don’t want to.  

I hear you, hate going there as well. I tend to go in and shop there commando style, run in for one or two things and get out asap. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this part sums it up for me. There are just too many things that signal the need for a bench change. And we're at the point where we need to really find out if its the bench or the boys, we can't make proper roster changes until we know that for sure.  We need some bottom 6 C help but outside of that we are not this bad, on paper at least.

What worries me is playing from behind all the time is going to start to lead to injuries, and once that starts this thing is really done. 

Yup, we could make a blockbuster trade to wake everyone up but wasnt that the OEL Garland deal? At this point, Green hasn't earned the benefit of risking trading a star player in hopes the team wakes up. 

Easiest course of action is replacing coaches at this point. I would rather try a new coach and if there are still roster issues address it then. 

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Sorry quoted wrong post.

Edited by BPA

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Yup, we could make a blockbuster trade to wake everyone up but wasnt that the OEL Garland deal? At this point, Green hasn't earned the benefit of risking trading a star player in hopes the team wakes up. 

Easiest course of action is replacing coaches at this point. I would rather try a new coach and if there are still roster issues address it then. 

We hear so much about "replacement level" for players, so why can't this apply to coaching too? it can't be much worse. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Pettersson needs to spend the summer with a barbell doing squats and deadlifts. It’s very obvious he didn’t do any of that this summer 

OJ's nemesis was the gym too.   He should have made the NHL really.   Maybe he was picked too high, but his aversion to physical fitness quite likely was a massive roadblock.   Won't ever forget his cocky comment soon after he was drafted "you can't teach smarts, anyone can go to the gym" .... if he did both ...maybe less injuries and maybe he'd be a star.... plus it was foreshadowing in a way.   And yes EP should be doing deadlifts, and sqauts.  Every single NHLer should be and i'm sure they are too.   At least you'd hope they are.