The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: Sorry Edmonton....

....but a least you still have that big mall and that football team that used to win all the time.....B)

The article I posted above said Edmonton wanted 5/10 matches. Got too greedy. 

Just now, Jaimito said:

The article I posted above said Edmonton wanted 5/10 matches. Got too greedy. 

I read the same thing, but the story I saw put the blame on the Alberta government. Basically they said they weren't going to provide the funding unless they were guaranteed a certain number of matches....

Apparently Alberta politicians don't know squat about FIFA. You don't demand anything of them. Remember when they forced Brazil to sell beer?

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read the same thing, but the story I saw put the blame on the Alberta government. Basically they said they weren't going to provide the funding unless they were guaranteed a certain number of matches....

Apparently Alberta politicians don't know squat about FIFA. You don't demand anything of them. Remember when they forced Brazil to sell beer?

Y, that's what the star article said too. I didn't word it that way. In the end, looks like BC getting 6/10. Larger stadium, more $$. 

I'll fly home to go see it. Watched the women's WC last time, was amazing watching team Canada. But this will be bigger. 

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Canadian Men's Team (World Rank #43) will be playing another friendly on Tuesday, this time against Uruguay (World Rank #13):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/canada-vs-uruguay-how-to-watch-stream-preview-of-world-cup-prep-friendly

How to watch and stream

• Canada: OneSoccer, Optik TV, fuboTV Canada
  • USA: FOX Deportes

When

• Tuesday, Sept. 27 | 12:00 pm ET

Where

• Národny Futbalovy Stadión | Bratislava, Slovakia

• 1 month later...

Canada will be without it's #2 keeper.  News on Phonzie is a lot better.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/bayern-to-rest-thomas-muller-to-boost-world-cup-chances/

Bayern expects Alphonso Davies to be ready for World Cup, will rest Muller

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-camp-in-bahrain-devastated-by-news-of-goalkeeper-crepeaus-broken-leg/

Canada camp in Bahrain 'devastated' by news of goalkeeper Crepeau's broken leg

BTW: If anyone was wondering about Thomas Hasal joing the team, it doesn't look likely.

Montreal's James Pantemis and Minnesota's Dayne St. Clair (who recorded a clean sheet against Vancouver in the 'Caps final game of the season) are the projected backups.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sucks to lose Max, but Milan was going to start every match anyway. MC will be a huge loss if something happens to Borjan.

Definitely rather the scenario above, than if the situations were reversed....

It sucks for Max because this would be an experience to help build towards '26.  I don't see Milan being the #1 much further past this WC.   So it's going to be a battle for who takes over.   

18 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

It sucks for Max because this would be an experience to help build towards '26.  I don't see Milan being the #1 much further past this WC.   So it's going to be a battle for who takes over.   

Agreed. At 35 years old, this will be the last WC for Borjan.Unless someone comes out of nowhere, Max will battle it out with Pantemis and St. Clair in 2016.

Based om nothing really, but I have a feeling St. Clair might be the guy by that time.

• Cheers 1