The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I never thought id get excited about even thinking of Sutter, Beagle, Edler jumping over the boards.  Guys that can play D, win draws block shots kill penalties, take the brunt of D zone starts.  Wont even get started on Tanev.  Those guys kept us respectably bad...didnt let too many losses mount up , this surely helped alleviate the younger players from feeling the heat and letting the pressure mount.

I swear half the problem (aside from the trash passive system) with the PK is Myers.  Just awful at clearing the puck, handles it like a grenade.  This is year 8 and outside of Hughes (who was an NHLer from the start) they havent been able to develop any reliable 3,4,5,6 d man.  And who is in the pipe?  I guess our hopes rest on Woo.

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I really believe that here are two kinds of people who are thrust into a leadership role: those who can actually lead and those who play the role they think leaders play. To me, Bo is in the second group. He says all the right things, but doesn't inspire anyone with his listless play. Anybody can lead when things are going really well, but it is adversity that reveals who the leaders really are. In this group, I don't think Bo is that guy.

I agree cause he seems represent the Sedins' era type of leadership: gentleman's or passive aggressive type.   Like I stated in my previous post, it seems Miller is the vocal leader and trading him would be a bad idea, due to his relationships with some of the core.  

Your bolded statement, can also be applied to Aquaman & crew and how they handle this mess will show there metel; either way, it will force Aquaman to do something he doesn't want to and it will either be a well earned extension or termination for the rest.

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

I never thought id get excited about even thinking of Sutter, Beagle, Edler jumping over the boards.  Guys that can play D, win draws block shots kill penalties, take the brunt of D zone starts.  Wont even get started on Tanev.  Those guys kept us respectably bad...didnt let too many losses mount up , this surely helped alleviate the younger players from feeling the heat and letting the pressure mount.

I swear half the problem (aside from the trash passive system) with the PK is Myers.  Just awful at clearing the puck, handles it like a grenade.  This is year 8 and outside of Hughes (who was an NHLer from the start) they havent been able to develop any reliable 3,4,5,6 d man.  And who is in the pipe?  I guess our hopes rest on Woo.

Finally. I said this in the summer and got eaten alive. 

The Canucks don't have a #1, or #4. Hughes and OEL are both fantastic #2s. The lack of depth is appauling and when there is an injury combined with a penalty they are screwed.

Myers is a 5/6 not a top 4, same as Poolman. You can get away with this if your 5/6 guys aren't 7/8 guys...not good.

Everyone likes to beat up Green but when you have Bowey and Hunt in the lineup your GM has not provided the depth required.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

42 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah that is my concern right now too. 

What if we can't find a qualified/experienced coach to come here? I guess give another AHL coach a shot and see if it works.

well that would be a systemic problem

there are 32 head coaching jobs in the nhl

if nobody wants the one you are offering

you have a much bigger problem than green and the players

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I really believe that here are two kinds of people who are thrust into a leadership role: those who can actually lead and those who play the role they think leaders play. To me, Bo is in the second group. He says all the right things, but doesn't inspire anyone with his listless play. Anybody can lead when things are going really well, but it is adversity that reveals who the leaders really are. In this group, I don't think Bo is that guy.

or you can be Napoleon & still get wasted at Waterloo if you don't have enough troops.  

17 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Everyone likes to beat up Green but when you have Bowey and Hunt in the lineup your GM has not provided the depth required.

If the GM hadn't signed Hunt and traded for Bowey, he would have signed similar players at similar cost and with similar skills. When the summer nears an end and the pickings are slim, you end up filling slots with warm bodies that you hope can play. Bowey and Hunt are bottom pairing players who have stepped up when required and while they haven't been awesome, they haven't been awful either. The team's problems extend far beyond the play of Hunt and Bowey.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

51 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think the effort was there under Willie.  Only the roster was old /aging.  I'm not sure you can say the same about the team under Green.  You don't come out flat at the start of games so many times (tells me there is a distinct lack of preparation).  But I've never been a coach so this is just an 'armchair quarterback' opinion.

well to be fair

Willie was only here 3 years and Green is in his 5th season

many of the Faithful blamed last year as an anomaly

it seems that the players don't feel that way

some teams look like they are ready to play with 2 games left in the preseason

that has never been the case with Green

2 games before the regular season you still see line ups like Hoglander Petan Boeser

while Horvat sits

how many times do the players need to see that to know things aren't going to start (or end) well?

BUt if Benning was never able to attract NHL help, then the wool was pulled over the faithful's eyes the entire 8 years

and the same is true at the GM and President levels

If I was asked to be President of this club ( and I was experienced like Holland or Rutherford)  I would demand a guaranteed contract with out options if I was interfered with by ownership. And you know that would be a real tough swallow for Aqua

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

If the GM hadn't signed Hunt and traded for Bowey, he would have signed similar players at similar cost and with similar skills. When the summer nears an end and the pickings are slim, you end up filling slots with warm bodies that you hope can play. Bowey and Hunt are bottom pairing players who have stepped up when required and while they haven't been awesome, they haven't been awful either. The team's problems extend far beyond the play of Hunt and Bowey.

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

Juolevi (as he seems to be a Green cut) Hmonic 

Hunt  (cuz he's a lefty) Burroughs

Rathbone Schenn

................ Bowey

when talking about Hunt and Bowey we are really talking about #s 8 and 11 on the depth chart

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion he has million dollar talent and a 10 cent head.  He is lost out there and it has nothing to do with ability.

That Chinese-Canadian fan who was waving the “Thank you Jim” sign and jersey last night.......I wonder if it crossed his head that Petey’s mysterious decline in play this year is in no way Benning’s fault.

14 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Further to that I would suggest looking at rosters around the league and seeing who slides in on the bottom lines. Not absolving JB here, but at least he was trying to acquire affordable (but still dollar store) experience for the occasions where plugs where needed.

it’s not like the top 6 has been carrying this team so kind of hard to expect the plugs to outshine anyone else 

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

100% correct

Spot on. Bo has excellent characteristic traits that make him seem more of a leader than he probably is. He’s very well

spoken, mature, and level headed. That being said, his talk is cheap. He has been as abysmal as most of our forward group this season aside from a couple of great games. That St Louis series was a long time ago. 

• Vintage 1

Sadly I have to agree with you....what he is demonstrating at the moment is not 'C' material....but what other detremental effect it would have on the team to strip him of the C and who would you give it to? Miller? 

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

His straight out speed was good. His edge work ar speed is not. He falls down when he tries to do too much   I Agree something is very wrong with him.

I agree with what Cheech said last night.  To me, it's a lack of confidence which leads to uninspired play.  That's on the coach. He's got to find ways to motivate and instil confidence in his players and his system.  It's clear that's not happening and I'm willing to give Petey the benefit of the doubt as it seems no one is inspired by Green anymore, plus it seems Green has run out of ideas.

Everyone was happy letting Tanev go (me included at what he signed for) and it's now evident he's value was beyond what he brought on the ice.  I feel the same could be said for Edler.  A right side of Tanev, Hamonic, Myers would be solid.  Giving room to take Myers off the PK.  A left side off Hughes, OEL and Edler means Edler and OEL can take PK duties.  Both of them help seemed to help keep the young guys even keel.

Also, if Dickenson was a shutdown winger, who the hell did they have in mind to play 3C.  If it was Sutter, then they lacked the foresight to have the center depth past him AND let Jasek sign over sea's when he could've slotted into the roster in that 4C role, which they've groomed him for the past what, 3 years?!  

I've been a pretty big supporter of JB and understand the reasoning behind all his moves (though I may not agree with all of them).  I think he get's one more coaching change as it looks like he constructed this seasons roster based on Green's preference.   If that doesn't right the ship then JB has got to go.  The flip side to firing is, who out there would be better candidates to replace JB and Green?  

13 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Sadly I have to agree with you....what he is demonstrating at the moment is not 'C' material....but what other detremental effect it would have on the team to strip him of the C and who would you give it to? Miller? 

No. OEL.

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I agree with what Cheech said last night.  To me, it's a lack of confidence which leads to uninspired play.  That's on the coach. He's got to find ways to motivate and instil confidence in his players and his system.  It's clear that's not happening and I'm willing to give Petey the benefit of the doubt as it seems no one is inspired by Green anymore, plus it seems Green has run out of ideas.

Everyone was happy letting Tanev go (me included at what he signed for) and it's now evident he's value was beyond what he brought on the ice.  I feel the same could be said for Edler.  A right side of Tanev, Hamonic, Myers would be solid.  Giving room to take Myers off the PK.  A left side off Hughes, OEL and Edler means Edler and OEL can take PK duties.  Both of them help seemed to help keep the young guys even keel.

Also, if Dickenson was a shutdown winger, who the hell did they have in mind to play 3C.  If it was Sutter, then they lacked the foresight to have the center depth past him AND let Jasek sign over sea's when he could've slotted into the roster in that 4C role, which they've groomed him for the past what, 3 years?!  

I've been a pretty big supporter of JB and understand the reasoning behind all his moves (though I may not agree with all of them).  I think he get's one more coaching change as it looks like he constructed this seasons roster based on Green's preference.   If that doesn't right the ship then JB has got to go.  The flip side to firing is, who out there would be better candidates to replace JB and Green?  

Continue ramming those tough minutes to Horvat & making do with whoever they could slot in that other C spot.  What they've been doing for the past number of years.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

That Chinese-Canadian fan who was waving the “Thank you Jim” sign and jersey last night.......I wonder if it crossed his head that Petey’s mysterious decline in play this year is in no way Benning’s fault.

Doubt it. I had a pretty clear view of the guy waiving the "Fire Benning" sign - tbh the dude looked 'touched', as they used to say. 

Just now, JM_ said:

Doubt it. I had a pretty clear view of the guy waiving the "Fire Benning" sign - tbh the dude looked 'touched', as they used to say. 

Were you at the game bro?   I was in Section 119, row 10, Seat 9.  I was the guy wearing the bright orange BC Lions jersey since my Nucks jersey fell in the mud.  Lol

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

it was really interesting watching the game in person, you can see the individual effort is still there but too many of the guys are not in sync at all, and that static PK is just painful to watch. 

I did see some growing chemistry on Pod's line, but outside of that there's zero puck support. 

Anyway it appears like Jim is fully on board with his coaches so its just going to be another lost year unfortunately.