The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

20 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That's all fine and dandy but JT with 2 playoffs and a season plus under contract is worth way more than jt with less than a season and one cup run.

Yeah.  I was responding to a poster that was worried he would become a UFA, somewhat like Tanev.  Ain't gonna happen.

Starting to think the idea of trading Miller, the best player on the team, one could say the heart and soul - it's a ridiculous idea actually

Be like, oh maybe lets say as an example - Boston saying 12 years ago - "Patrice is a great player, we should trade him to acquire assets and then try to win a Cup in a few years".  No, you win with Patrice, not the return you get for him.

Canucks need to hang onto the special players. Miller, Horvat, Garland, Podkolzin, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko.  

Everyone else is tradeable IMO, and I hope Allvin gets a bit aggressive with the improvements

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Starting to think the idea of trading Miller, the best player on the team, one could say the heart and soul - it's a ridiculous idea actually

Be like, oh maybe lets say as an example - Boston saying 12 years ago - "Patrice is a great player, we should trade him to acquire assets and then try to win a Cup in a few years".  No, you win with Patrice, not the return you get for him.

Canucks need to hang onto the special players. Miller, Horvat, Garland, Podkolzin, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko.  

Everyone else is tradeable IMO, and I hope Allvin gets a bit aggressive with the improvements

Oh boy... CDCers are gonna come after you in a sec for the fact Bergeron was 24 years old 12 years ago... .... LOOK OUT!  HERE THEY COME!!!

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Miller's camp tells management he's gonna move on as a UFA, then we take the best package possible.  Ideally those conversations happen within the next 4 to 5 weeks.

However, if Miller's camp says he wants to stay, then find out a ballpark number ASAP and do the financial forecasting to see if it can work.  If it can, then keep him.  If the numbers simply won't work, then you find out what's the best package offered this TDL, and if not good enough, then I'd say wait until the offseason because a mediocre package likely won't change much in the offseason.

Bottomline is that Canucks management NEED to know what Miller wants ASAP.  Stay or go?  Stay?  Ok... how much?  That'll dictate everything.

… and perhaps the timing of any move or moves weighs better at the draft table, after the lottery.

I hate the lottery :picard:

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Unless the return is up to your expectations, you (and almost everyone else) will be very disappointed. 

I believe I have completely realistic expectations.

For example, with the Rangers, there are people expecting a return consisting of Schneider/Lafrenier/1st rd pick.  Others are saying Schneider/Chytil or Kakko/1st rd pick.  I see these as ridiculous.  Maybe if you're Allvin you ask for that, but you don't realistically expect that in my view. 

Personally, if the Rangers are the team Allvin deals with, I would be fine with a return of Schneider/2nd.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I believe I have completely realistic expectations.

For example, with the Rangers, there are people expecting a return consisting of Schneider/Lafrenier/1st rd pick.  Others are saying Schneider/Chytil or Kakko/1st rd pick.  I see these as ridiculous.  Maybe if you're Allvin you ask for that, but you don't realistically expect that in my view. 

Personally, if the Rangers are the team Allvin deals with, I would be fine with a return of Schneider/2nd.

Well then, you won't be disappointed for sure.  Get ready for a big response to your post:ph34r:

Unless the offer significantly alters the course of the franchise you keep Miller.   That’s pretty simple.  The interesting thing is that there may actually be offers made worth considering for a player of Miller’s calibre, age, contract.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Screw said:

Unless the offer significantly alters the course of the franchise you keep Miller.   That’s pretty simple.  The interesting thing is that there may actually be offers made worth considering for a player of Miller’s calibre, age, contract.

I guess it depends on if the brass thinks there's a realistic chance he's going to stay in Van.  

54 minutes ago, HKSR said:

WAY too many IFs and MAYBEs in that statement.  By that logic, any trade the Lightning made in the past 10 years is a win because they won the Cup 2 years in a row. 

Sorry, I just don't see how Trocheck's trade is a huge win and was THE reason for the Panther's resurgence.  I'd say it has WAY more to do with guys like Huberdeau, Barkov, and  Verhaege elevating their games to another level... but more importantly, the huge impact their defence core is scoring at will as well lead by Ekblad and Weegar. 

What do you mean to many ifs and maybes exactly? It's the way things played out, it's currently happening. The ifs and maybes come from a scenario that they tried to work Trocheck into the cap structure, not vice versa. The Trocheck trade in a vacuum was a net lose, but the team moving forward was a gain. Those are facts.

Regardless, it was just one example. Like I clearly stated before, I felt Colorado was the much better comparison. Guess that one's not nearly as fun to talk about though. I wouldn't trade Miller for a Trocheck return so it's a moot point. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I guess it depends on if the brass thinks there's a realistic chance he's going to stay in Van.  

I think they have to know this moving forward. That conversation has to be had with his agents. Obviously he can't give a for sure answer, but I'm sure he has a pretty darn good idea whether or not he wants to finish his hockey career in Vancouver or somewhere in the states closer to home.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

What do you mean to many ifs and maybes exactly? It's the way things played out, it's currently happening. The ifs and maybes come from a scenario that they tried to work Trocheck into the cap structure, not vice versa. The Trocheck trade in a vacuum was a net lose, but the team moving forward was a gain. Those are facts.

Regardless, it was just one example. Like I clearly stated before, I felt Colorado was the much better comparison. Guess that one's not nearly as fun to talk about though. I wouldn't trade Miller for a Trocheck return so it's a moot point. 

Yup like I said, I'll give you the Colorado one for now.... but I'd really like to see how things play out.  I have my doubts based on how the Avs are structured that they'll be able to win a Cup with that roster.  ESPECIALLY if they don't do it this year while Kadri is on fire.  Next year is Mac's last on the super bargain contract... things will change quickly after that.

And their goaltending?  Is Kuemper the guy that can do it? 

Will be interesting for sure... but I bet on Vegas before the Avs. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup like I said, I'll give you the Colorado one for now.... but I'd really like to see how things play out.  I have my doubts based on how the Avs are structured that they'll be able to win a Cup with that roster.  ESPECIALLY if they don't do it this year while Kadri is on fire.  Next year is Mac's last on the super bargain contract... things will change quickly after that.

And their goaltending?  Is Kuemper the guy that can do it? 

Will be interesting for sure... but I bet on Vegas before the Avs. 

Letting things play out could be the difference between a move that moves this team forward significantly in the next cpl years or a lack of one that sees miller walk and the slide back to the bottom

Just now, stawns said:

Letting things play out could be the difference between a move that moves this team forward significantly in the next cpl years or a lack of one that sees miller walk and the slide back to the bottom

Huh??  You are  the one confused my friend.  I'm not even talking about the Canucks here LMAO!

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Huh?  They didn't tank on purpose by trading everyone away lol.  Even so, they traded everyone away just after that, and where did that get them?  Instead of trying to improve on the roster that came within a game of the Stanley Cup finals, they abandoned it all and are still rebuilding to this day.

Not on purpose but they sank like a tank. Trading everyone away after got them good young players on elc's and boat loads of cap space. If they had kept those guys they would have been drafting at #10 every year. Good enough not to he the worst team but bad enough to constantly miss the playoffs. They are in a much better position going forward and it's not even close.

Just now, coryberg said:

Not on purpose but they sank like a tank. Trading everyone away after got them good young players on elc's and boat loads of cap space. If they had kept those guys they would have been drafting at #10 every year. Good enough not to he the worst team but bad enough to constantly miss the playoffs. They are in a much better position going forward and it's not even close.

So one bad year after nearly making the finals, resulting in trading away all their best players, and now several years later hovering close to the bottom of the league with a couple big contracts again (Tkachuk and Chabot) is a good thing?  Ummm ok... I guess if the Sens challenge for the Cup in the next 2 or 3 years, it might look good... but I have serious doubts about that.

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

12 years ago Bergeron was 24 years old.

JT miller is going to be 29 at the deadline.

Horrible comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh boy... CDCers are gonna come after you in a sec for the fact Bergeron was 24 years old 12 years ago... .... LOOK OUT!  HERE THEY COME!!!

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

12 years ago Bergeron was 24 years old.

JT miller is going to be 29 at the deadline.

Horrible comparison.

RUN @NUCKER67!!!  RUN!!! I'LL TRY AND HOLD THEM OFF!!!

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

So one bad year after nearly making the finals, resulting in trading away all their best players, and now several years later hovering close to the bottom of the league with a couple big contracts again (Tkachuk and Chabot) is a good thing?  Ummm ok... I guess if the Sens challenge for the Cup in the next 2 or 3 years, it might look good... but I have serious doubts about that.

22 and 25 year old players who are constantly improving with big contracts is a lot different than 31 year old players who are on the downswing on big contracts. If you can't tell the difference I don't know what else to tell you.

• Upvote 1