The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Interesting idea. But as far as trading for a defenseman goes, I really think we should be putting our focus on trying the find a long term partner for Hughes. Finding a young, top 4 RD that can play in his own end is absolutely imperative for this franchise going forward. I really don't think Lundqvist is that guy.

they need more help on D than just one guy.  There's no succession plan in place when Schenn, Hamonic, Myers are gone

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

they need more help on D than just one guy.  There's no succession plan in place when Schenn, Hamonic, Myers are gone

All of those guys were free agent signings. I'm really not as worried about finding someone for the third pairing or someone to play with OEL as I am finding a long term partner for Hughes.

I'm an ideal world, if the Rags coughed up Schneider in the package for Miller and we moved Boeser to the Pens for Marino, our blueline would be set for the foreseeable future.

Hughes- Schneider

OEL- Marino

Rathbone- Schenn(?)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is an interesting idea, assuming we had the chance to negotiate an extension under his QO first.

Lots of reports that the Canucks are interested in Zacha, who knows what their impression of Rathbone is.  One would think that Jersey woiuld have to add some thin just due to the contract status.

I think Rathbone gets moved out at some point as he doesn’t seem to be a fit for our needs to me.  All the things he does well, Hughes does better…. And it is going to be Hughes on the ice for all those minutes so it is setting up Rathbone to not be effective.

I think we've got a nice opportunity with Rathbone for a top 9 upgrade for sure. We're set on the top 4 left side, I'd rather add someone with size for our bottom pair left side. 

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think we've got a nice opportunity with Rathbone for a top 9 upgrade for sure. We're set on the top 4 left side, I'd rather add someone with size for our bottom pair left side. 

If we move Bone, I'd like to try and move him for a good, young, right handed 3C that can take some of Bo's defensive minutes and free him up for more Ozone deployment.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

All of those guys were free agent signings. I'm really not as worried about finding someone for the third pairing or someone to play with OEL as I am finding a long term partner for Hughes.

I'm an ideal world, if the Rags coughed up Schneider in the package for Miller and we moved Boeser to the Pens for Marino, our blueline would be set for the foreseeable future.

Hughes- Schneider

OEL- Marino

Rathbone- Schenn(?)

if they sign MIller they won't be able to replace those dmen that leave with similar calibre players, especially not UFA ones

Just now, stawns said:

if they sign MIller they won't be able to replace those dmen that leave with similar calibre players, especially not UFA ones

but we'll be paying someone at least 7 mil to replace what he brings. We need to look at the opportunity cost of the difference between Miller and someone else, not just Millers salary alone. 

Just now, JM_ said:

but we'll be paying someone at least 7 mil to replace what he brings. We need to look at the opportunity cost of the difference between Miller and someone else, not just Millers salary alone. 

I don't think so, the young core will grow and replace a lot of that production and the reinforcement of the dcorps and pk will bring goals against down and reduce the goal differential even further.  They don't need to replace Miller, imo.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

That's the thing, you're not looking to replace him immediately 

Between Pettersson and Bo we should be fine for center's, Pettersson should continue to improve and we know what we've got in Horvat 

Save the money you'd have to pay Miller and bolster the rest of the roster, having a better roster is better than being super reliant on a single player anyway

We've already got a player like that in Demko and he's bailed us out all season, and that's problematic in itself

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

That's a good point. Maybe it does make more sense to re-sign Miller then. He's already a team leader, best player, familiar with the team and coaching staff, etc. Replacing Miller with a new guy could ruin whatever bond/identity the team currently has. 

But saying that, I think they need to trade Boeser at the least. Possibly Garland, Pearson and one of the veteran Ds as well. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a good point. Maybe it does make more sense to re-sign Miller then. He's already a team leader, best player, familiar with the team and coaching staff, etc. Replacing Miller with a new guy could ruin whatever bond/identity the team currently has. 

But saying that, I think they need to trade Boeser at the least. Possibly Garland, Pearson and one of the veteran Ds as well. 

I'm thinking Garland is the man out.  Where does he fit into the team?  PP nope.  PK nope.  I see him gone before this TDL.  Might be looking at just picks/prospects coming back too.  Simply a cap move to create the space to sign Miller, Boeser, and Bo.  

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we can get Schneider/Kakko for Miller and Liljegren for Hamonic or Motte, I think our D could be in good shape if everyone progresses:

Hughes Schneider 

OEL Liljegren 

Rathbone Myers

Feels like a pretty nice setup for a while.

Schneider is an NHL D man (bottom pair for minutes and matchups though) and Littleman isn't as good as Poolman, Schenn, Woo, or the Zamboni driver.  He's slow, small, soft, and scared.  :sick:

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I also wonder if we don't re-sign Miller, or someone like him, does Bo plan to stick around?

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's the thing, you're not looking to replace him immediately 

Between Pettersson and Bo we should be fine for center's, Pettersson should continue to improve and we know what we've got in Horvat 

Save the money you'd have to pay Miller and bolster the rest of the roster, having a better roster is better than being super reliant on a single player anyway

We've already got a player like that in Demko and he's bailed us out all season, and that's problematic in itself

I don't see Bo hanging around waiting for another 2-3 years. 

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I was thinking we'd move the 'bone for some F help, maybe Rathbone + for Zacha?

Rathbone is producing better than Lundkvist in the AHL. I know half a year doesn’t mean a lot but Rathbone has a chance to be the better dman between the two. Also Zacha is a third line winger looking for a raise. Unless we can dump Dickinson on them I would absolutely hate seeing Dickinson, Zacha and Pearson eating up so much cap space in our bottom 6.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Rathbone is producing better than Lundkvist in the AHL. I know half a year doesn’t mean a lot but Rathbone has a chance to be the better dman between the two. Also Zacha is a third line winger looking for a raise. Unless we can dump Dickinson on them I would absolutely hate seeing Dickinson, Zacha and Pearson eating up so much cap space in our bottom 6.

my plan was we'd dump Dickie and Pearson as part of the changes. There certainly could be other, better options for a Rathbone trade. The left side d is one of the few areas of a bit of depth we can trade from.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schneider is an NHL D man (bottom pair for minutes and matchups though) and Littleman isn't as good as Poolman, Schenn, Woo, or the Zamboni driver.  He's slow, small, soft, and scared.  :sick:

I think he has been in previous years and likely set behind due to his mono bout.  This year he has shown progression and that’s the whole bet.  Making some guesses on progression and Timmy has some tools.  With OEL mentorship he might do well but might not.  If the cost is someone like Hamonic then take the risk.  

We will never be better with the status quo.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I also wonder if we don't re-sign Miller, or someone like him, does Bo plan to stick around?

I don't see Bo hanging around waiting for another 2-3 years. 

I think Bo would be the pretty easy to retain. We drafted him, he's the captain, he's put down roots and started a family here there's a lot of history. 

It's funny, folks are so quick to presume it's make or break with Miller, but we can absolutely be a good team without him. That's what management would have to sell Bo on. Want him to stay? Sell him on it, and show him you're serious. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m really intrigued now as to what they do with Miller. With Hertl making 8M x 8... you have to think Miller’s next contract will be somewhere in between Rantanen and Tavares’ 9.25-11m x 6/7. 

Do we trade him? He’s a driver and pushes hard. But his stock should be super high right now. On the other hand if this year is his career year and he’s less than ppg next year, his value drops (could be good for a contract negotiation). 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think he has been in previous years and likely set behind due to his mono bout.  This year he has shown progression and that’s the whole bet.  Making some guesses on progression and Timmy has some tools.  With OEL mentorship he might do well but might not.  If the cost is someone like Hamonic then take the risk.  

We will never be better with the status quo.

If the cost is Hamonic straight up for Littleman then for sure that's an okay trade.  We move Hamonic's contract and can waive Littleman.  Win win. 

• Haha 1