The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But Marino is a d man I want :lol:

The trade return doesn't have to be the perfect Hughes partner. While that would certainly be nice, it's too limiting. Even if Marino turns out to be better with say OEL, it's still a top roster need, getting younger, shedding cap, etc etc..

Agreed! So Marino it is! :P

I’d bet you could get Marino for garland

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Guys we should target for miller in my opinion 

Toronto Sandin Niemela Kamff

Pittsburg Poulin Oliver Joseph 

Vegas whitecloud Hague Roy

La Roy Turcotte Granz

Rangers Kakko Schiender kravtsov 

Columbus 6th pick peeke Tiex Jenner 

Devils 2nd pick Bahl Zacha smith Holtz 

We need these players back if we’re trading them miller if not we don’t trade him

I don’t think La trades for miller now. But I think they take a run at chychrun.

Rangers and Colmbus offer the best packages for us:

6th overall + peeke 

12th overall + peeke + marchenko (we be scouted him heavily and played same team as kuzmenko)

Schneider + Kakko/Chytil + a 2023 1st if Miller extended 

want one of these most 

6 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I’m assuming you mean he ranked top 10 in preventing shots against and scoring chances against on a PER 60 basis but if that’s our barometer for top 4 -raw on-ice stats unadjusted for team strength or quality of competition- why not sign Ian Cole? He had equally good numbers and will cost a lot less. 

or trade for Conor Clifton or Marcus Pettersson or Derek forbort. All 3 could be had for very little and all 3 had similar on-ice defensive numbers. 

reality is Zadorov, while strong and good with his stick and good at blocking shots, has poor transition play and negative value offensive play. Canucks NEED pick movers. It’s the main thing Rutherford indemnified as a problem with this team is their inability to break the puck out. Zadorov does not help in this regard and paying him 4+ million to essentially be a #4 defensive Dman is poor use of the Canucks cap and roster space 

Sounds like you just explained perfect partner for Hughes?

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I don’t think La trades for miller now. But I think they take a run at chychrun.

Rangers and Colmbus offer the best packages for us:

6th overall + peeke 

12th overall + peeke + marchenko (we be scouted him heavily and played same team as kuzmenko)

Schneider + Kakko/Chytil + a 2023 1st if Miller extended 

want one of these most 

I agree I just don’t think this is there.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

LA still has my favourite potential Q partner in Brandt Clarke. Just don’t think they would be that interested in JTM now as anything other than a rental. 
Oh and Marino, he is established as a top 4 in NHL, had good underlying numbers and Lundkvist is kind of just more of what we have. 

Doubt we're getting Clarke. They're not likely going to give him up. I actually wanted Faber (who's closer to the dman type we need/DeNiro wants).

But yeah, some guys here are definitely under rating Marino.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

well, either a poll or a pole. You might get put on a pole for suggesting Lundkvist :P

Man... Not even sure if that was autocorrect, not enough coffee, or me thinking about Zooey Deschanel again :lol:

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Marino makes a lot of sense, but I suppose its as risky as anything else. Steady and boring is what Hughes needs imo. 

Yup. I'd happily take more size too but if not, "young Tanev" is perfectly fine with me too.

And then ideally we still find a longer term, bigger, better all around partner for Hughes over the next few years. Whether that's something like Colorado's Toews trade, or drafting and developing etc.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe? But then we wouldn't also be getting Poulin, Blomqvist and a 1st.

But then we would still have Miller and could still actually compete.

Id be much more comfortable with a Garland for Marino trade. Much better value.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I’m assuming you mean he ranked top 10 in preventing shots against and scoring chances against on a PER 60 basis but if that’s our barometer for top 4 -raw on-ice stats unadjusted for team strength or quality of competition- why not sign Ian Cole? He had equally good numbers and will cost a lot less. 

or trade for Conor Clifton or Marcus Pettersson or Derek forbort. All 3 could be had for very little and all 3 had similar on-ice defensive numbers. 

reality is Zadorov, while strong and good with his stick and good at blocking shots, has poor transition play and negative value offensive play. Canucks NEED pick movers. It’s the main thing Rutherford indemnified as a problem with this team is their inability to break the puck out. Zadorov does not help in this regard and paying him 4+ million to essentially be a #4 defensive Dman is poor use of the Canucks cap and roster space 

But your right we need one those and zadarov for us excel we need 2 defencemen 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Sure. But I'd still be moving Miller then.

Garland for Marino.

Miller + Ferland to Vegas  for Patches, Hague and Roy:lol:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

What about this?

Garland + Hogs for Marino + Kapanen (RFA rights) 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt we're getting Clarke. They're not likely going to give him up. I actually wanted Faber (who's closer to the dman type we need/DeNiro wants).

But yeah, some guys here are definitely under rating Marino.

we just need guys on the right side top 4 that are capable defensively. Maybe its been too long and people don't remember what that looks like.

Man... Not even sure if that was autocorrect, not enough coffee, or me thinking about Zooey Deschanel again :lol:

yup thats understandable. 

Yup. I'd happily take more size too but if not, "young Tanev" is perfectly fine with me too.

And then ideally we still find a longer term, bigger, better all around partner for Hughes over the next few years. Whether that's something like Colorado's Toews trade, or drafting and developing etc.

Marino is just one possible solution, I do think there are others. We don't know what other GMs are looking to do, I can imagine there are a number of ways this can go. 

But even adding Lyubushkin could be a nice add. It may free OEL from Myers, e.g. which would be nice. Maybe Dermott-Myers is fine as a 3rd pairing. 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Lyubushkin

Dermott-Myers

OK its not sexy but maybe just getting mobile/offensive partners with more capable defensive partners is what we can accomplish this offseason.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

we just need guys on the right side top 4 that are capable defensively. Maybe its been too long and people don't remember what that looks like.

yup thats understandable. 

Marino is just one possible solution, I do think there are others. We don't know what other GMs are looking to do, I can imagine there are a number of ways this can go. 

But even adding Lyubushkin could be a nice add. It may free OEL from Myers, e.g. which would be nice. Maybe Dermott-Myers is fine as a 3rd pairing. 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Lyubushkin

Dermott-Myers

OK its not sexy but maybe just getting mobile/offensive partners with more capable defensive partners is what we can accomplish this offseason.

Why can’t we trade Myers to Seattle for Adam Larsen?   

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why can’t we trade Myers to Seattle for Adam Larsen?   

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

With resigning of boeser and not traded Myers Dickson and Pearson are best bets to for cap space im just sure the return ain’t much 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You're assuming he wants to re-sign, which is looking like he doesnt.

Never once has JT said anything to indicate this. If anything, he has stated that he wants to stay and mentioned his closest friends are on this team. He and his family have a great place to raise kids and by their social media account, they look very settled and happy here. Now that we have a decent coach and proper management, that leans more towards an even stronger desire to stay here.

Stop listening to these sport media hacks trying to garner clicks and listeners to their shows. Half what you hear from folks are made up.

36 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Sounds like you just explained perfect partner for Hughes?

Best partner Hughes ever had was Tanev who is excellent at moving the puck up ice and in general makes smart first passes and good outlets. 

Zadorov is just a slightly better Luke schenn and frankly given the cap hits, Canucks are better off playing luke schenn in that spot

Edited by The_Rocket
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1