The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

33 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

That's in 3 seasons with us, 2 of those were shortened. Sign him now. He's the powerforward we've so desperately wanted for 20 years. 

A proven performer for nux and emotional leader of the team. He can't be easily replaced.   Priority is to sign him I think.  It's going to drag on for a bit.  JT will get paid, one way or another.  See what nux can do to make that possible. The cap is flat now, but will go up eventually.  I'm sure all their capologists are busy figuring out a way to make it work.  If the player says I want out, then he will get traded.  But as long he wants to play for nux, this may go down the wire to get done.  I am happy to see him play at the season opener and continue to the all star break.  Watch him light it up on a contract year. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller is a UFA July 1, 2023.  He will choose a city close to his permanent home.  Much like Gaudreau just did.  

People seriously have to stop comparing Miller to the Gaudreau situation. The guy was  coming off a 12 year stint in a brutally cold and not super attractive northern Canadian city. He did his time there and he wanted a change. Canucks are on the way up and JT gets to live in a beautiful city where the fans are crazy about their team. It’s not comparable  at all other than the contract timeline.

i’m not sure how respected John Shannon’s credibility and opinion is but he feels that Vancouver is leaning more towards signing Miller than trading him. I’ll say it again till I’m blue in the face no matter what we do on that trade we lose it every time. Let’s keep the best player who also happens to be fierce competitor, a really good leader. Big body, hard on the puck, but if a mean streak sniper who rarely loses a board battle. I’m a big fan of JT Miller I and want him to stay. 

Edited by bad alice french
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

This^

Trading Miller will weaken the team and for sure might hurt the room.  Also - it is unprecedented to trade your best player at the trade deadline if you are in the playoffs.

So keep him and sign him or if you can't do a deal you have to be ready to lose him for nothing if you are in a playoff position at the deadline. Miller's return will not be huge and the negative to the team of gutting them right before the playoffs is unprecedented and potentially a room killer. 

If the Nux are not in the playoff picture then go ahead and trade him at the deadline - otherwise it is possibly very damaging to the team.

JR said they will try to get the best return for him by the deadline - but if the nux are in the playoffs IMO he will not move Miller.

how does for sure might hurt the room work? lmao.. so is it 100% for sure he will hurt the room or is it maybe might hurt the room?

this team is in no position to lose Miller for nothing... this team literally have no prospect or draft capitals or trade assets to be able to survive a lose miller for nothing scenario.. sure trading miller for prospects and picks doesn't necessary means they'll work out.. but we could flip those propsects and picks to another team to get something we actually need/want?? teams that loses their star player for nothing are usually teams that are all in for the cup.. calgary this year.. columbus couple years ago.. Columbus went into a rebuild with nothing.. Calgary will probably need to retool and they have nothing either.. they dont' even have pieces to trade to get a winger for their top line.. and depending how next season goes.. they might end up going back into a rebuild if MT goes.. canucks are literally in the same boat.. if they lose miller for nothing... they literally have nothing of value to trade for pieces they actually need for a retool for the 2-3 year from now window.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Explain who we would trade Miller to at the 2023 TDL that would provide a return that provides help to our club that isn’t a step back?  Trade deadline rentals, like Miller, return excellent futures.  But they don’t return immediate help, like in a hockey trade.  The acquiring team wants to keep their team in tact and “add” to it.  So we would get futures.  Very good futures for sure, but still not helping us in the 2023 playoff race.  

Call it guessing.  I say it’s inference. 

To the above.  Some examples of TDL trades for top line players - none of the trading teams were in a playoff position:

• Evander Kane - 2nd round pick that became a 1st because he re-signed with them (conditional picks upon re-signing are no longer allowed) + 4th round pick.
  • Mark Stone - Brännstrom (who was picked 15th overall 2 years before) + 2nd round pick.
  • Taylor Hall (with Lazar) - 1st round pick + Anders Bjork to make the cap work (still with Buffalo)
  • Claude Giroux - 1st in 2024 or 2025 + 3rd round pick + Owen Tippett
  • Mikael Granlund - Fiala.  Fenton really wanted Fiala who he had drafted and Poile accepted to swap for an established player given their win now window.

Nashville removed from their roster but Fiala was not having a good season.  For nearly 10 months the trade felt like a mistake with Fiala struggling in Minnesota too.  Guerin, who had replaced Fenton, was even looking to trade him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think a D man can make the kind of impact that losing 30 goals off the roster brought.

Not to mention the leadership and all the clutch game winning goals he scored for us.

Trading Miller will hurt that room. Might even do long term damage as the players will see it as management not willing to go for it now.

200.gif

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

how does for sure might hurt the room work? lmao.. so is it 100% for sure he will hurt the room or is it maybe might hurt the room?

this team is in no position to lose Miller for nothing... this team literally have no prospect or draft capitals or trade assets to be able to survive a lose miller for nothing scenario.. sure trading miller for prospects and picks doesn't necessary means they'll work out.. but we could flip those propsects and picks to another team to get something we actually need/want?? teams that loses their star player for nothing are usually teams that are all in for the cup.. calgary this year.. columbus couple years ago.. Columbus went into a rebuild with nothing.. Calgary will probably need to retool and they have nothing either.. they dont' even have pieces to trade to get a winger for their top line.. and depending how next season goes.. they might end up going back into a rebuild if MT goes.. canucks are literally in the same boat.. if they lose miller for nothing... they literally have nothing of value to trade for pieces they actually need for a retool for the 2-3 year from now window.. 

what most think is that Miller is going to bring a high return,  or the assets available to us to move again for something better.

Personally, I don’t think Miller will bring us the high end talent we hope to find.

If he is traded,  he will go to UFA.

If he is traded , he has no control over where he goes.

Where he goes is possibly as much an issue as money itself.. after all  IF  he was to SIGN with his new team, his wife would have as much input in the move as he did.

A trade doesn't offer that personal discussion.

7 - 8 years in a new city with 2 or 3 kids is impressionable.
When you have no control over your destination , the only control you do have is UFA.

So trading Miller for what’s left on his contract isn’t going to bring much…. Unless things are thoroughly worked with family, and a signing with “said” team is guaranteed.

But if I’m JT , IF .. and I’m not being signed to an extension HERE,

I’m going UFA, regardless of where I’m sent,  for full control of money and destination options.

But this year will be one of my best seasons yet, regardless.

This season his play will probably make someone else on the team even more expendable, someone who would bring an equal return as Miller.

It’s also possible one of our new recent arrivals will show well, and promise more, for less, than that player that does move on.

If I was in management, with this situation, I’m letting Miller play to the TDL regardless, to see how this new edition of the Canucks performs,.

and I would not be signing Horvat yet either because he also holds value as trade stock, unsigned to an extension for this same time.

Its also possible that Garland could help bring the asset we are looking for on defence to better round the D core out.

ps. The declining asset argument is as much an opinion that would be used by a team in taking Miller,.  As it is for some posters here.  

It’s a devaluation argument.

Edited by SilentSam

Make him a offer then if he rejects an offer, make a trade.  Don't want to lose for nothing so it's better to do it before start of training camp.   If we open the season with a very strong start then keep him and expect to lose for nothing.  However, it will create a ton of cap space if we couldn't sign him down the road.  Keeping in mind, Ferland's cap hit will expire after this season so it will free up some room for better options.  Also we forget that Horvat is also UFA next season so there's also no guarantee that we'd be able to keep Horvat after this season.  If Horvat doesn't accept their offer then trade Horvat as well.   There is a greater risk of losing Miller and Horvat for nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

what most think is that Miller is going to bring a high return,  or the assets available to us to move again for something better.

Personally, I don’t think Miller will bring us the high end talent we hope to find.

If he is traded,  he will go to UFA.

If he is traded , he has no control over where he goes.

Where he goes is possibly as much an issue as money itself.. after all  IF  he was to SIGN with his new team, his wife would have as much input in the move as he did.

A trade doesn't offer that personal discussion.

7 - 8 years in a new city with 2 or 3 kids is impressionable.
When you have no control over your destination , the only control you do have is UFA.

So trading Miller for what’s left on his contract isn’t going to bring much…. Unless things are thoroughly worked with family, and a signing with “said” team is guaranteed.

But if I’m JT , IF .. and I’m not being signed to an extension HERE,

I’m going UFA, regardless of where I’m sent,  for full control of money and destination options.

But this year will be one of my best seasons yet, regardless.

This season his play will probably make someone else on the team even more expendable, someone who would bring an equal return as Miller.

It’s also possible one of our new recent arrivals will show well, and promise more, for less, than that player that does move on.

If I was in management, with this situation, I’m letting Miller play to the TDL regardless, to see how this new edition of the Canucks performs,.

and I would not be signing Horvat yet either because he also holds value as trade stock, unsigned to an extension for this same time.

Its also possible that Garland could help bring the asset we are looking for on defence to better round the D core out.

ps. The declining asset argument is as much an opinion that would be used by a team in taking Miller,.  As it is for some posters here.  

It’s a devaluation argument.

I disagree that Miller wouldn't bring a big return. He is good in all situations, and damn near got 100 points last season. I think it all depends on whether he'd garner the most before the season, or at the trade deadline. 

A cup contending team might pay up to get him on the deadline, but a retooling team like the Devils might want him before the season starts to give him time to settle in. 

Personally, I would prefer to do the latter in some ways, because if someone gives a 1st round pick to help them get over the hump, they might disappoint and we'd end up with a fairly high pick. At the same time, I want to see more games with Miller in our uniform. He has been a warrior for us, and I don't to give him an unceremonious departure. 

Edited by Nave
  • Cheers 1

The last three years of play Miller is 12 th in points,amung league leaders in faceoff wins,can play wingkills penalties, plays pp,amung leaders in winning goals. And you say you will not get a great return??? Wow 

Edited by cripplereh

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

And I think management knows this. But what can they do if teams aren’t offering what they’re asking for. Lowering their price probably isn’t the smartest thing to do either. 

7 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

The last three years of play Miller is 12 th in points,amung league leaders in faceoff wins,can play wingkills penalties, plays pp,amung leaders in winning goals. And you say you will not get a great return??? Wow 

Well, they haven’t been able to get what they want so far…..

14 minutes ago, Nave said:

I disagree that Miller wouldn't bring a big return. He is good in all situations, and damn near got 100 points last season. I think it all depends on whether he'd garner the most before the season, or at the trade deadline. 

A cup contending team might pay up to get him on the deadline, but a retooling team like the Devils might want him before the season starts to give him time to settle in. 

Personally, I would prefer to do the latter in some ways, because if someone gives a 1st round pick to help them get over the hump, they might disappoint and we'd end up with a fairly high pick. At the same time, I want to see more games with Miller in our uniform. He has been a warrior for us, and I don't to give him an unceremonious departure. 

I don’t see how the Devils would still be in on Miller. 

Unless it’s a Marino - Miller swap. But I think that’s an underwhelming return for Miller. 

I also prefer the latter to happen. It not only gives the acquiring team time to get their new player accustomed to their organization and city, but it also gives the Canucks time as well before the season for the players they’ve acquired to settle in the city, and get comfortable. But we’ll see I guess. No news around Miller these days, so it’s quiet. But this management team seems to keep things very close to their vest. So who knows if there’s conversations happening around Miller, but we just don’t hear about it, or the media. 

It’s just the same thing circling around Twitter and on here. Trade proposals, rumors, etc. 

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Nope but tons of time left to get a deal done,far as we know people have called ,who knows at this point

Yeah. There’s time for sure. We just don’t know much, if anything at this point. 

10 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

There are 4 teams in the east that need to upgrade and yet here we are waiting for calls.I can see one calling when time will tell.

Who says that we’re waiting for calls?