The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

17 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

F it, let's re-sign him.  Run and gun our way into the playoffs with Bruce at the helm.  :towel:

Yeah, if it's a 6 year deal, it'll be fine.  Keeping our centre depth from last year and adding Kuzmenko and Mikheyev is a big boost in offensive punch up front. 

Mikheyev-Petey-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Miller-Podkolzin

Pearson-Bo-Garland (not many teams can boast a 30 goal scoring centre, and 50 point winger on the 3rd line)

Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander (Hogs would get to play against some pretty weak matchups in his role here.  This line could put up 25 to 30 goals)

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is a LOT wrong with paying $8 million or more for a 50 point player at 33 years old who will still have 5 years left on a contract at that amount and would keep declining.

There’s also a lot wrong paying developing players like EP over 7 m to appease them to his UFA.

Even Boesers contract feels like a show me..

There seems to be more money wasted on the unproven and potential of players on this team,  than the true value of someone proven.

So after 3 years now gone, and another 4 years to get to the age of your “33” theory.… and what seems to be your “theory”of an 8 year contract. (8x 8 = 64m). ?? 

what then is potentially 6-7 years of aprx 1.0 ppg to the age of 33 ,  then going to 50 points per year for 5 more years (your theory).

That averages out to about a .7 ppg player for his career here of 12 year tenure..  ( your theory) 

Like I said… this player brings more than points to this team..  I think more here need to embrace that.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

There’s also a lot wrong paying developing players like EP over 7 m to appease them to his UFA.

Even Boesers contract feels like a show me..

There seems to be more money wasted on the unproven and potential of players on this team,  than the true value of someone proven.

So after 3 years now gone, and another 4 years to get to the age of your “33” theory.… and what seems to be your “theory”of an 8 year contract. (8x 8 = 64m). ?? 

what then is potentially 6-7 years of aprx 1.0 ppg to the age of 33 ,  then going to 50 points per year for 5 more years (your theory).

That averages out to about a .7 ppg player for his career here of 12 year tenure..  ( your theory) 

Like I said… this player brings more than points to this team..  I think more here need to embrace that.

fsQ0JWp.gif.f23c6faebb691efe499fe04c00815ec3.gif

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I knew you couldn't resist :P

I just edited it,  it’s even better..

but I’ll leave you with the last word,.   Cause I know you like to have the “feeling” of some control in your life ;)

your welcome.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I just edited it,  it’s even better..

but I’ll leave you with the last word,.   Cause I know you like to have the “feeling” of some control in your life ;)

your welcome.

Man, I'm just messing you with, lighten up Sigmund Freud 

Columbus needs a center badly (especially now with their new high profile signing lol). 

Would anyone take a deal around Miller for Laine? 

1 for 1 straight up, but extensions agreed upon for both players. So say Laine for 5-6 years at 7.5 million per. Miller's extension is less important to this hypothetical proposal, Columbus can pay him whatever. 

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

Columbus needs a center badly (especially now with their new high profile signing lol). 

1 for 1 straight up, but extensions agreed upon for both players. So say Laine for 5-6 years at 7.5 million per. Miller's extension is less important to this hypothetical proposal, Columbus can pay him whatever. 

Laine is a big, strong, talented winger.  If we could then flip him for a young RSD, then sure.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Myers is on the books for 23/24 though isn't he?

Yes, everyone expect boeser, poolman, Garland, Oel, Huggy and demko contracts will have expired by that off season. Yes two big ones are up this coming off season but we get out of a few mill in buyout penalties as well. Horvat will be on a long term lower dollar deal. I don't think Miller stays. If he does Myers is gone next off season to recoup space till the next batch is gone the following off season.

IMHO we have zero issue when it comes to space for years to come. Assuming they don't add anyone like a Dobson who probably gets a big deal

Edited by Mustard Tiger
Forgot huggy somehow lol
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

No; we have enough wingers to drive offense.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

His agent also said they don’t believe that players decline as they age, so that shouldn’t be assumed in a Miller contract.

That is objectively a lie, so maybe believing what agents say in the press isn’t the best plan?  They have zero requirement to be truthful.

Sure, maybe there is some price that Miller would sign for… but that doesn’t negate the concept of him really wanting to play near home.

Let's not over-think this.  If JT absolutely wasn't interested in re-signing here and wanted to expedite a move closer to home, wouldn't he just say that, perhaps privately?  For sure nobody is obliged to be truthful in what they say publicly, but at the same time, you don't get what you want by endlessly hiding what that is when you need agreement from another party.  To me, it looks like the agent is saying "let's get on with resolving this, one way or the other" and I don't see anything particularly dark or manipulative in that. 

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That be his goodbye to you Nuts.

Ive seen Bo wink more than he fights on these boards lol

Jt Miller Goal GIF by Vancouver Canucks

get used to this ^^

When they sign miller to 7 yrs are they gunna pay bo 7 million to play 3rd line. I doubt it ..goodbye bo ..heres to hoping

• Cheers 1

To me if we want to keep both Bo and Miller best thing is bonuses and front load both contracts so they get a big amount that tails off last couple years so the cap hit stays reasonable say 6 years at cap hit of 6.5 but 7.5 for first three years

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Yes, everyone expect boeser, poolman, Garland, Oel and demko contracts will have expired by that off season. Yes two big ones are up this coming off season but we get out of a few mill in buyout penalties as well. Horvat will be on a long term lower dollar deal. I don't think Miller stays. If he does Myers is gone next off season to recoup space till the next batch is gone the following off season.

IMHO we have zero issue when it comes to space for years to come. Assuming they don't add anyone like a Dobson who probably gets a big deal

I agree Mustard; a lot to due about nothing. We are really only tight in the 2022/2023 window.

I have really come around to the idea of trading Myers being the right call to get a more defensive Dman. We have sweeteners to get that done. It just allows us to accelerate the rebuild on D IMHO. A Larrson type return would be awesome.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

When they sign miller to 7 yrs are they gunna pay bo 7 million to play 3rd line. I doubt it ..goodbye bo ..heres to hoping

When you have 3 excellent centers and a bunch of wing talent as we do now, don't get hung up on 1,2,3 lines; its more 1A/1B/1C.

Edmonton has a #1 Elite line, then 3x3/4lines. They rat bag that #1 to generate offense. We don't have that Elite talent, but have a WHOLE bunch of #1/2 guys that can share the load. In todays NHL, 7m is FA for a good player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

They need Laine far more than a C - Laine has 50 goal potential with Gaudreau as his playmaker.  Gaudreau can drive the line from the wing.