The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Waiting on the Avs to clear cap was the latest rumour.

Now some people are saying the Isles have already signed him which I don’t believe.

Arbitration dates that are relevant to a Miller trade based on rumours:

Trenin (Nas) - August 2

Bratt (NJ)- August 3

Wood (NJ) - August 6

Bear (Car) - August 8

Interesting. We could still see a trade this summer I guess depending on how those arbitration hearings go with those players. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I like him as a depth player, but we don't really need Bear. Fun names or not :lol:

Probably prefer a pick (or a guy like Seeley speaking of finding the "next" Tanev).

I think Bear might just be too expensive for a bottom pairing guy, or does he slot in as second pairing? 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, outside a couple of signings and a draft we haven't seen much, and even our top pick had to do more with grabbing a guy who fell as opposed to more of a gamble 

Not a bad thing, but he was an easy pick to make 

I think they've found things tougher to resolve than anticipated though, I agree, my concern is they've waited too long to move Miller though

Doesn't sound like we'll lose him for nothing but I wouldn't say they've done enough to inspire confidence just yet 

Still cautiously optimistic 

Yep. The jury is still out on Rutherford and the staff he’s assembled. Allvin is yet another first time GM. He seems calculated, which seems to be better than Benning by a mile. 

But I agree with you @Coconuts that management might have very well waited too long to move Miller. Their window could have been last year’s trade deadline when an acquiring team could get Miller for two playoff rounds. Now whoever acquires him would have him for one run, and then he hits the free agent market. 

I’m a wait and see with this management as well. What they do with Miller I think could be what defines them moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Bear might just be too expensive for a bottom pairing guy, or does he slot in as second pairing? 

He was given permission to talk to teams around the league to try and find a trade partner - they were reluctant about his qualifying offer. Lack of interest kind of shows that teams don't really see him as top-4 D material.

33 minutes ago, mll said:

He was given permission to talk to teams around the league to try and find a trade partner - they were reluctant about his qualifying offer. Lack of interest kind of shows that teams don't really see him as top-4 D material.

So where does that leave Bear if the ‘Canes don’t sign him? Does he become a UFA? 

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Do we need another thread for page count when Miller will be traded?  I said 1251 long ago!!

I believe we can get to 2000 pages, before he’s traded. 

• Cheers 2

On 7/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Nobody knows for sure what a potential deadline deal may have been, it's all media speculation, nothing more. 

No GM on either side is going to admit to which players were offered. 

Fans need to stop taking rumors as facts. 

Yeah that’s fair. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Maybe Miller won't get traded?   Maybe he will get traded. 

Will say whatever was offered last TDL wasn't enough to move the needle.    And they've said they won't make a trade just for a trades sake.    Have also said they've got a number in mind to re-sign him as well, and that it's a different number then Millers camp is looking for.   Both sides take a risk.   One great season...two?  Well if he breaks 100 he's going to add another 7-9 million over the duration of his next deal somewhere.  

One thing that can be safely predicted, is the cap will go up another million next season, and that the owners will be whole sometime in 2023-2024... it's possible the cap will go up more then one million, the year after next.   And for sure will go up after that.   It should help mitigate some of the raises coming up, but will take a little time to get there.    All it really means, is we lose a Garland or Maki etc...   Doesn't fix our right side, but there for sure is a path to jam all these guys in as well.   Horvat and Miller probably add 3-4 to our cap.   Pearson and Garland all of it (plus some raises elsewhere)...

Thankfully the contracts are staggered well enough to give Allvin a pretty easy go of it.    EP is the guy we need to build around, but every team needs experienced vets, Horvat and Miller?    EP will have two cores to work with. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

We need to, particularly on D, some of us have been saying this for months.. 

couldn't it be that we just need better talent? looking at the contending teams, they all have a pretty big age spread. Young defensemen usually aren't all that good at playing defence. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Bottom pair who can fill in 2nd pair with injuries IMO. We don't really need more depth D, have loads of them in fact. We need to spend cap/assets getting guys to play in our top 4, with Hughes/OEL. That's not Bear.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bottom pair who can fill in 2nd pair with injuries IMO. We don't really need more depth D, have loads of them in fact. We need to spend cap/assets getting guys to play in our top 4, with Hughes/OEL. That's not Bear.

If we pick him up, our right-side D will be even more Bear. 

I'll show myself out...

On 7/25/2022 at 6:06 PM, Goal:thecup said:

Well you're the agent.

I said the range was $60 mill give or take 2 or 3 mill didn't I?

The Canucks are not offering $45-50 imo because they know it wouldn't be acceptable.

It was reported that management said they were close on the money.

I'm going with that thanks.

Everything I've seen/heard reported, says management has offered in the 5-6 year and $45-$50m range. Which would make sense... 5x$9 ($45m) or 6x$8 ($48m) +/-. 

I don't think management has any interest in going longer term, or higher cap hits (as they shouldn't IMO). Miller/his agent likely feel they can get something closer to 7x$9 ($63m) +/- on the open market.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2