The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

On 8/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, Boudrias said:

Either way I don't see JT suiting up for the Canucks in October. The risk that he regrades back to his career mean or that he is injured simply makes the risk to high for the Canucks to risk. 

But, but, but.....that also impacts HIM, not just the team. I'd say more so.

So he's injured...suddenly that big contract is floating away.....

That isn't just risk that the team would incur....how about if he plays out his last year and flounders? Suddenly his value is being reassessed...with age factoring in. He has to strike while the iron's hot...not just the team. I feel the team is not in a hurry because...they don't have to be. JT's the one who likely is best served in the here and now with his current bar set. But he'd have to reach that bar again or age and production will become factors in his payday.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

But, but, but.....that also impact HIM, not just the team.

That isn't just risk that the team would incur....how about if he plays out his last year and flounders? Suddenly his value is being reassessed...with age factoring in. He has to strike while the iron's hot...not just the team. I feel the team is not in a hurry because...they don't have to be. JT's the one who likely is best served in the here and now with his current bar set. But he'd have to reach that bar again or age and production will become factors in his payday.

This could all be correct. Guess we'll find out in about a month if he resigns for a reasonable contract or not.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

But, but, but.....that also impact HIM, not just the team. I'd say more so.

Rumour is we have an offer of six years and (likely about) 7.5 per, so right around 45 million.  JTM’s agent is (we are pretty sure) wanting the Zibinijad contract of 60 - 65 million.  So the two sides are between 15 and 20 million apart, or over 30%.  That’s a lot.

Will JR go to seven years?  Will JTM come down to 50-55 million?

Would 7 x 7.75 be something both sides could be satisfied with?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So you only consider one angle in this.

Would he play the same role? Have the same success with new line mates?

He found his greatest success on this team...that matters. As he spoke to, the way he was provided opportunities here...that could change elsewhere. 

"He's not staying" isn't something you can state...only he can.

Two types of fans. Those who see where we are heading and want to plan accordingly. The other gets emotionally attached to any and every quality player on the roster, willing do to whatever it takes to keep those guys around.

Keeping him puts us right back In the cycle of not having enough cash to support the core properly. Miller is not a core piece, He's an exceptional support piece. Our window won't even come for another 4 years. Not many fans will be keen to see a 9m dollar 34 year old with lots of term left. 

As a fan, You can be whoever you want though. But decisions should be made that helps now AND in the future as our core reaches their prime. The difference in age is just too much. We have room for 2 big contract " vets ". Ones OEL, The other will be horvats deal. I'm not knocking you Deb so please don't take it that way. It's just makes little sense to keep him in the long run in my and majority of other fans eyes 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Two types of fans. Those who see where we are heading and want to plan accordingly. The other gets emotionally attached to any and every quality player on the roster, willing do to whatever it takes to keep those guys around.

Keeping him puts us right back In the cycle of not having enough cash to support the core properly. Miller is not a core piece, He's an exceptional support piece. Our window won't even come for another 4 years. Not many fans will be keen to see a 9m dollar 34 year old with lots of term left. 

As a fan, You can be whoever you want though. But decisions should be made that helps now AND in the future as our core reaches their prime. The difference in age is just too much. We have room for 2 big contract " vets ". Ones OEL, The other will be horvats deal. I'm not knocking you Deb so please don't take it that way. It's just makes little sense to keep him in the long run in my and majority of other fans eyes 

Maybe JTM should be considered a key core piece, and Bo should be ranked as a support player?

Petey

Hughes

Demko

Miller

Core. 

Bo, Boeser, OEL = support. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Oh don't even.....

So the smarter fans with insight vs the homers like me. Sure ok.

Your opinion is just that....by stating he is not a core piece tells me all I need to know here. "Our window won't even come for 4 years"...more of the same. You speak in certainties but I don't buy in to what you're selling. I'm not knocking you so please don't take it that way.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Oh don't even.....

So the smarter fans with insight vs the homers like me. Sure ok.

Your opinion is just that....by stating he is not a core piece tells me all I need to know here. "Our window won't even come for 4 years"...more of the same. You speak in certainties but I don't buy in to what you're selling. I'm not knocking you so please don't take it that way.....

Haha. Just wait till we become a good team. Out with the old, In with the new cheap ELCs will be a thing. Its what good teams do to remain competitive.  Boeser / Garland are the next big name guys who will be on the chopping block as we have a bunch of good young wingers in the system who will take those spots in the coming years. No reason to get all defensive, We all are passionate fans and change is hard I get it

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe JTM should be considered a key core piece, and Bo should be ranked as a support player?

Petey

Hughes

Demko

Miller

Core. 

Bo, Boeser, OEL = support. 

Not even close to accurate. That's a Benning build right there lol

• Haha 1

Here's another thing....many were NOT on the JT bandwagon back before he hit his stride. Many haters, I recall it well. He was a floater, didn't care, gave up on plays, etc. That's what they saw.

He, himself, touched on that in the interview. What some people saw as a liability is actually what MAKES him an asset.

To paraphrase (what he needs to work on):

- he's a very, VERY firey guy who plays on a sharp edge

- talked about wanting to keep his emotions in check but also that means he's all in and brings out the best in him (that he plays with passion and emotion)

Some saw his frustration as a guy who didn't care...but boy, did they have it wrong. Some of us saw beyond the displays of emotion and that they were more a good thing than "disinterest".

So many talking of what he will/won't do and driving the JT bus just boarded recently. They didn't believe in him as a player but now want to talk about what he'll do.

I fought this fight back then....his exact words about f bombs and gate slams that people were slamming him for...now, suddenly, they know all about him and can project what he'll do/what he's about. None of us do/can.

I'm out....NONE of us know what will unfold but JT isn't just a money guy who's out the door. He's weighing it all out and would likely stay if they got closer together...with that, I don't think the team has the provision to. So I'm well aware he MAY move on and accept that...but to talk like people know how he thinks or what he'll do. Sure. Where was this back then when he was frustrated and not a bum who coasted as some made him out to be?

(I, too, have to work on my emotions but it's also what makes me a fan who will fight to the end for my team).

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Haha. Just wait till we become a good team. Out with the old, In with the new cheap ELCs will be a thing. Its what good teams do to remain competitive.  Boeser / Garland are the next big name guys who will be on the chopping block as we have a bunch of good young wingers in the system who will take those spots in the coming years. No reason to get all defensive, We all are passionate fans and change is hard I get it

Don't get defensive? To patronizing comments?

We are all passionate fans but some talk like their passion is superior knowledge. 

I do get defensive....I don't think any one here knows any more about what JT'll do than the next homer fan.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Don't get defensive? To patronizing comments?

We are all passionate fans but some talk like their passion is superior knowledge. 

I do get defensive....I don't think any one here knows any more about what JT'll do than the next homer fan.

I'm right there with you in being one of the most optimistic fans on these boards! Keeping a 30 yo on a 9x8 when our young stars are still years away from being in their prime won't help us in the long run. I don't think I know more than you? I'm just a fan as well. It is a fact huggy + EP are about 4 years away from entering their prime though. Miller will be 34 at that time is also a fact. Every young guy on the team will have been paid by then, Some will be entering their big time contract and we will all point to the massive Miller deal realizing that money could have been used for 2/3 bridge deals for guys coming off ELCs. Miller is a player peaking in his prime in the right situation. He will be moved before the TDL if we listen to what JR says

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Fletchered would be another good term. He is just as bad as JB lol

Chia pet was bad too.  And that clown, Bergevin.  Several horrid GM’s, but Benning certainly gets onto the Mount Rushmore of the worst of the worst.  

I think about what should have been, if not for Benning.  How much better are we situated if Benning doesn’t give up 2 of our last three firsts, seconds and thirds and we use those picks to draft?  No Miller, OEL, and Garland.  There’s 16 million in cap space and our prospect cupboard would actually be full, because we would be drafting top 5-10.

Back to regular planned viewing................

We certainly have some "IF's" but, IMO, we are very close to having a contending team, and "IF" Jimmy Rutherford and Alvin can find away to keep Miller, Horvat and Pettersson all on the team, without blowing the rest up, I think we are very close to having a top 10 team.

Certainly Myers $6,000,000 off the books would help, but what does it cost for a replacement? Pearson's contract is coming up, and shaves off $3,250,000 + , but he provides a heavy body, and a consistency to the team. Dickenson contract is still 2 years away, and has been pretty well useless. Collectively, these 3 players account for $11,250,000 and are probably the players that will have to be moved to accommodate the younger contracts that will be coming up..............namely Podkolzin, and Pettersson.

So where does the money come to keep Miller, Kuzmenko, Hoglander and Horvat?..................IMO, we need 3 to 4 million extra to keep both..........where does it come from?

Answer............keep Hoglander and move Garland, and hope Kuzmenko and Hoglander  do not move the needle too far

IMO, if Rutherford and Alvin can sort that mess out, we are very close to being the team we want.....................oh, yeh...............and we still need that good, sound RHD!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1