The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

Objective reality for the last 8 years says different.

It is stunning that folks can take a tiny sample size of the bubble play and decide that is what the team really is and ignore years of results including the last two.

"It was just a weird Covid year... we are really a great team, wait until next year!"  "Well ignore this year too... we aren't really the team that has been showing up on the ice.

We aren't just on a little slide, we are slightly worse than what we were projected to be... which is a non playoff team.

I just look deeper than the results I guess.  I see a team that is winning most of the 5v5 play and has tanked on the special teams.  If they can rectify that and fix their dressing room issues, I think they are a playoff team

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I just look deeper than the results I guess.  I see a team that is winning most of the 5v5 play and has tanked on the special teams.  If they can rectify that and fix their dressing room issues, I think they are a playoff team

I agree, but unfortunately I suspect the hole they've dug is too deep to extricate themselves from this season. 

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Only if it’s a management and coaching shakeup. That’s what the team needs.

If, big if, Miller and Boeser are on the block and moved without Green being fired it seems like most of the team believes in Green

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

If, big if, Miller and Boeser are on the block and moved without Green being fired it seems like most of the team believes in Green

Or just Jim Benning does, and he's convinced Aqua that this is the correct coaching group.

Doesn't mean the team believes in him.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Or just Jim Benning does, and he's convinced Aqua that this is the correct coaching group.

Doesn't mean the team believes in him.

yeah, highly unlikely he'd include Bo, OEL and the rest of the core in discussions about how they feel about the coaching staff.

C'mon, this isn't peewee

This only makes sense from Wild's point of view.  Fiala has never produced more than 54 points and is a winger.  If you are going to move arguably your "best bang for the buck" piece right now the deal should address the blatant holes in the Canucks lineup.  Defence and 3c.  More specifically top 4 defence.

We have players on the wing ....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

Why, the one 5 million dollar small winger has out played almost everyone in our top 6... 

Has he outplayed Miller, who is being mentioned for the trade? Again this trade makes no sense. It will not upgrade the team. If anything, it will damage the team.

Edited by HOFsedins
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bill Guerin still in charge there?

Yea they’d do it.

Don't see it at all.  They are in a rebuild and he's made it clear so many times that he isn't trading away their future.  

So far he has traded only a conditional 7th round pick for a player (Bjugstad) and they were even able to retain the pick as the conditions weren't met.  Instead he has been trading players for picks/prospects.  Even moved Kunin who was drafted 15th overall in only 2016 so he could get a high 2nd to draft Marat Khusnutdinov.  

He bought out Parise/Suter - 13M on the books next season (8M more than the 5M on the books this season) and 2 more years at 15M after that.  Pretty evident that they are looking to bring up prospects and don't expect to be top contenders just yet.  

His mandate is to build a perennial elite contending team.  Not a team that will just make the playoffs.  Ownership has agreed to a proper rebuild.  That's why Rossi, Boldy are in the AHL.  He wants them to develop into difference makers and not just guys playing in the NHL.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

yeah, highly unlikely he'd include Bo, OEL and the rest of the core in discussions about how they feel about the coaching staff.

C'mon, this isn't peewee

Oh I didn't say that they wouldn't have been asked for their opinions, I truly hope they have.

But just because an employee/employees are asked for their opinion doesn't mean that the company will agree and go that route.

12 minutes ago, Darius said:

This only makes sense from Wild's point of view.  Fiala has never produced more than 54 points and is a winger.  If you are going to move arguably your "best bang for the buck" piece right now the deal should address the blatant holes in the Canucks lineup.  Defence and 3c.  More specifically top 4 defence.

We have players on the wing ....

Yep, the Wild don’t make a lot of sense for us as a trading partner really.  Well at least from our perspective.  I could see why they would want Miller.

Why would we downgrade on the wing just for the pleasure of paying Fiala as much or more than what Miller earns?

I can only imagine we are being offered really poor trades at the moment with other GMs testing the waters on the level of desperation.  Real offers are much more likely to come after Christmas 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Has he outplayed Miller, who is being mentioned for the trade? Again this trade makes no sense. It will not upgrade the team. If anything, it will damage the team.

1 for 1 it would not upgrade anything and I would not be interested either, but a package of players both ways centered around Fiala and Miller could make sense.

To Minny:

Miller

Boeser

B prospect or Pick

To Van: 

Fiala

Greenway

Dumba

conditional 1st, if Minny finishes with a lottery pick, pick becomes a 2023 pick

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, the Wild don’t make a lot of sense for us as a trading partner really.  Well at least from our perspective.  I could see why they would want Miller.

Why would we downgrade on the wing just for the pleasure of paying Fiala as much or more than what Miller earns?

I can only imagine we are being offered really poor trades at the moment with other GMs testing the waters on the level of desperation.  Real offers are much more likely to come after Christmas 

I agree, especially with the bolded part.  Patience is required here, especially if they decide to move on from some key players.  They are dealing from a position of weakness and they will increase their leverage if they wait till  the trade deadline when all the big players (teams that are positioning for runs) are circling all wanting to add key players.

3 minutes ago, CR7 said:

1 for 1 it would not upgrade anything and I would not be interested either, but a package of players both ways centered around Fiala and Miller could make sense.

To Minny:

Miller

Boeser

B prospect or Pick

To Van: 

Fiala

Greenway

Dumba

conditional 1st, if Minny finishes with a lottery pick, pick becomes a 2023 pick

That is probably not an unreasonable trade.

I still don’t love it as we have to negotiate with two RFAs right away in that deal.  If you swapped Fiala for Boldy I would probably be more inclined.

I think we could get more in two different deals though for Miller and Boeser than in a package together 

• Cheers 1