The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Sounds like Giroux could be heading to COL? I guess that means the Avs are out of the Miller chase?

The Canucks still have a chance at playoffs, so I don't expect any major players to go anywhere.  Minor moves at the TDL, major moves in the offseason

26 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The guy has incredible speed, good stick handling and a great shot. It’s really surprising he hasn’t done much to start his career. NYR have a great top 6 so he’s not really being thrown into a top 6 situation which would help him produce more. For me it’s the idea that this might be the only time you could snag a talent like Lafreniere. If he does hit his potential you would have successfully sold high and bought low. He’s still young and I’m a believer he could still become a top line winger.

I think everybody on these boards loves JT Miller and would definitely be into an extension if it was 100% guaranteed he’d re-sign. You could keep him and he could leave and we’d get nothing as compensation or you could move the top coveted player for the equivalent of 3 1rst round picks. I think people see that as the best possible outcome for our future.

nope

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Lundqvist isn't chopped liver, that's for sure and Kravstov, if they can get him into the mix, couod be a game breaker and a nice add for Podz.  I do think they'd have to add another piece to make it worhwhike and chytil would be a great complimentary piece.  Maybe the Canucks add Woo

Miler, woo

Lundqvist, kravstov, chytil, 1st.  They could package that first with their and maybe move into the top 5 at the draft.

Yeah but its about quality of the assets not just about quantity. The problem with that deal is it looks like a lot and all but you end up with very little. That offer would be like us offering Goldobin, Rathbone, Gaudette and a 1st for Miller if he were on another team. We gave up a first and third for him as half the player... Our first at the time was better (think 18th overall) and the Rangers would be around 23 probably. Rathbone is worth probably about a 2nd/3rd. So essentially the deals wash out and are the same. So we let him go for the same price we paid. That sets us back actually as we failed to get top assets that can turn into solid players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I love how JR is just like. Look guys Jim Benning built a good team since I got here we are W14 L6 and OTL4 I don't have to do a damn thing we're winning. Thanks Jimbo too bad you didn't fire Green when you had the chance. Aqua made the change that was needed before I even got here. 

Light's cigar leans back puts feet up on Jet Blacks desk. 

CDC shower's JR with praise.  

8 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Yeah but its about quality of the assets not just about quantity. The problem with that deal is it looks like a lot and all but you end up with very little. That offer would be like us offering Goldobin, Rathbone, Gaudette and a 1st for Miller if he were on another team. We gave up a first and third for him as half the player... Our first at the time was better (think 18th overall) and the Rangers would be around 23 probably. Rathbone is worth probably about a 2nd/3rd. So essentially the deals wash out and are the same. So we let him go for the same price we paid. That sets us back actually as we failed to get top assets that can turn into solid players. 

I think kravstov and lundqvist are better than you think they are.

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well you're right that I'd imagine everybody (or at least close to) loves Miller, RIGHT now.

I have zero desire however, to see the team sign him to the likely +/-$9m x 6-8 year deal it would require to keep him here until his mid-late 30's.

We have very real structural and succession issues, on D especially. We won't be able to adequately address those by tying up $9m with Miller. We won't be able to address them by not trading Miller for younger assets.

It's basically doubling down, with more cap, to desperately cling to the current, mediocre, not good enough team. Which in turn actually means the team gets worse, as he (and others) age, decline and take up more cap.

No thanks.

That’s why it makes so much sense to cash out on this deadlines biggest ticket. I’m all for a JT Miller with retention to a cap strapped team to give them two cup runs with JT for a huge return!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If you want rumours/speculation here's one:  Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist. 

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-price-to-trade-for-canucks-j-t-miller-went-up/

For me, if that's the offer - pass. 

yeah. man. if that's the Ranger's best offer, then I'd pass as well. 

What are they expecting? To offer a player that doesn't want to play for them, a smaller RHD, and a 3rd line centre for a top line centreman? What the &^@#? 

Would they take Dickinson, Tryamkin, and Woo for Laff? 

LMAO. 

The &^@# is Drury thinking that, that offer would even be considered by this management. &^@# them. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Oh for sure drury is playing hardball right now and that might change. I’m fairly confident Rutherford will be smarter than benning was when it comes to these types of negotiations.

JR better be smarter than Benning, or else we're royally &^@#ed. 

I hope JR and PA are playing hardball back to Drury. Let's not get pushed around by the Rangers. 

They wanna be bounced in the first round? Good &^@#ing luck. 

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t think the age and with an extension is a fit?

Nope, nor do I think the price tag it's going take to keep him is good for the team.  You're likely looking at least $8.5m with term, that'll sink any chance they have at getting any mind of depth and theyll be stuck with a serious anchor contract as he declines.  

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know much about Kravstov, but I'd rather have Schneider if you're going to want Miller. 

Well you're not a top 10 pick if you're not a potential impact player.

6'3, around 200lbs........the biggest issue is Russian and all the fun that goes with that 

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. man. if that's the Ranger's best offer, then I'd pass as well. 

What are they expecting? To offer a player that doesn't want to play for them, a smaller RHD, and a 3rd line centre for a top line centreman? What the &^@#? 

Would they take Dickinson, Tryamkin, and Woo for Laff? 

LMAO. 

The &^@# is Drury thinking that, that offer would even be considered by this management. &^@# them. 

All three of those players were first round picks that fit this cores age group.  Not saying I wouldn't prefer Schneider, but that's nothing to scoff at either.

Edited by stawns

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

All three of those players were first round picks that fit this cores age group.  Not saying I wouldn't prefer Schneider, but that's nothing to scoff at either.

But the offer could be better, no? 

I mean, if that was good enough, you’d think management would have accepted that already. 

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well you're not a top 10 pick if you're not a potential impact player.

6'3, around 200lbs........the biggest issue is Russian and all the fun that goes with that 

I think the Miller trade needs to be a home run for this organization. If Kravtsov doesn’t work out, what then? 

Was he producing for the Rangers before he bolted for Russia? 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But the offer could be better, no? 

I mean, if that was good enough, you’d think management would have accepted that already. 

Of course it could be better and I'm sure the management team will do.everything to get the deal they want.  I'm just saying that if it gets down to the wire and that deal is on the table, I take it, especially if there's a first involved too.  The Canucks would be doing the Rags a "favour" by taking kravstov, so a first would be necessary.

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the Miller trade needs to be a home run for this organization. If Kravtsov doesn’t work out, what then? 

Was he producing for the Rangers before he bolted for Russia? 

Exactly. I don't see much value in Kravtsov. HockeyDB him. There are nothing in those numbers, in the leugues he's played in, that impresses me. Ya, it's just Hockey DB, but it's somewhat of an indicator. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

how so? 

If you have a highly sought after asset, it may be advantageous to let others believe you have no interest in moving said asset thereby motivating interested parties to come forward with enticing offers.  Similar to leaking 'competing offers' nonsense in order to motivate interested parties.

• Cheers 1