The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Anything more than 5 years concerns me for Miller. He is a win now player.

Also have concerns on whether or not this level of play is only briefly. He wasn’t our best guy last year and the year prior he had a hotshot Petey to work with and was on a functional lotto line. 

This year he truly broke out and he’s 29 in a few days. Usually players that play well into their 30s have played consistently well throughout their careers. Miller’s only been a true top level forward this year. Hard to predict whether or not he can maintain this level of play for most of his next deal. 

Risk either way though. If he does get moved it needs to be for a King’s ransom. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

At the same token,

What makes people think he won't RE-SIGN in Vancouver AFTER we trade him to obtain assets to make us a better team for when he returns?

Would that not be better?

I mean, it's possible, but that's arguably a lot more expectations on a player than even just assuming he wants to go to the states. lol

We don't know what he wants to do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Anything more than 5 years concerns me for Miller. He is a win now player.

Also have concerns on whether or not this level of play is only briefly. He wasn’t our best guy last year and the year prior he had a hotshot Petey to work with and was on a functional lotto line. 

This year he truly broke out and he’s 29 in a few days. Usually players that play well into their 30s have played consistently well throughout their careers. Miller’s only been a true top level forward this year. Hard to predict whether or not he can maintain this level of play for most of his next deal. 

Risk either way though. If he does get moved it needs to be for a King’s ransom. 

Of course. I'm not saying resign him for 8 years or anything. I'm just saying we don't know what he wants yet so let's not assume. lol

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I mean, it's possible, but that's arguably a lot more expectations on a player than even just assuming he wants to go to the states. lol

We don't know what he wants to do.

At the end of the day management has a much better idea of whether or not Miller is willing to resign than anyone here does. If he's moved at this year's deadline, then we'll know that they didn't expect him to resign. If he's not, then there must be at least some reasonable expectation that he will resign. 

We shall see.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Of course. I'm not saying resign him for 8 years or anything. I'm just saying we don't know what he wants yet so let's not assume. lol

We can speculate all things considered. He has been a bargain most his career and this will likely be his last chance to cash out with any team if he wants that. 

We all know how much he’s worth and could get if he hits UFA. 

You can presume in a speculative sense. 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At the end of the day management has a much better idea of whether or no Miller is willing to resign then anyone here does. If he's moved at this year's deadline, then we'll know that they didn't expect him to resign. If he's not, then there must be at least some reasonable expectation that he will resign. 

We shall see.

Exactly. If Miller asks for more than we can provide, he'll likely get traded, maybe not at the deadline (unless if the values's there) but at the end of the season. If Miller's not asking for more than we provide, we resign him.

That's literally all this has to be. No assumptions. No fear. Just we either do it or we don't.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At the end of the day management has a much better idea of whether or not Miller is willing to resign than anyone here does. If he's moved at this year's deadline, then we'll know that they didn't expect him to resign. If he's not, then there must be at least some reasonable expectation that he will resign. 

We shall see.

If they don’t trade them this year that might not mean they won’t trade him at all. I wouldn’t say that’s completely out of the woods. 

Our cap problems start to rear their ugly head next year when Miller and Horvat are upcoming UFAs. Only guy we risk losing for nothing this year is Motte. Boeser is an issue too but he’s an RFA so we can delay a decision on him in the off-season. 

We could essentially hold off on decisions this year if playoffs were viable which seems still possible now. 

The upcoming off-season now seems like the likely time we’ll see any major moves barring someone making an offer we can’t refuse prior to this TD. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We shall see.

I hope so, but they can’t really talk about extensions until July 1st, so only the vaguest of conversations can take place.

It has kind of gotten to the point you can’t really trade him at the deadline, his play for the year will mean he won’t lose any trade value between now and the offseason.

Ge and the team may have forced management’ hand to at least get to the point where they can try to negotiate and extension.

It is really dangerous ground.  You can’t replace Miller on the open market, but if you sign him long term you probably aren’t getting this year’s Miller either.  This could just be a career year, and he goes back to more modest average production and then starts declining.

It will be interesting the risk tolerance the new GM has, and will be quite telling about how they view the rest of the roster.  To me that has more to do with it than Miller’s play. If Miller has a 90+ point season he would get a huge haul at the draft or in the summer as a trade chip.  If they pull the trigger it means they don’t think our team is really near being a contender.  If they re-sign him to something like an 8x8 deal it means they think they can tinker around with a couple other pieces and turn the team into a perennial winner.

Oh, we have another year with him at 5mil after this? I for some reason was under the assumption his contract was expiring this year with all of the talk.

It would be absolute madness to trade him this deadline if we have another full year of his services for cheap. This kind of makes me dig my feet in the sand at this point.

If this was next year, then maybe I could see what stawns is saying with his proposal.... but we have another full year that we'd be stupid to give up on.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If they don’t trade them this year that might not mean they won’t trade him at all. I wouldn’t say that’s completely out of the woods. 

Our cap problems start to rear their ugly head next year when Miller and Horvat are upcoming UFAs. Only guy we risk losing for nothing this year is Motte. Boeser is an issue too but he’s an RFA so we can delay a decision on him in the off-season. 

We could essentially hold off on decisions this year if playoffs were viable which seems still possible now. 

The upcoming off-season now seems like the likely time we’ll see any major moves barring someone making an offer we can’t refuse prior to this TD. 

Not saying he won't be moved eventually, but one would imagine that if management didn't feel that there was at least a solid chance at resigning him that he would be shipped out for the largest possible haul, which would mean at this year's deadline. 

That said, I feel that teams are really capping themselves in terms of what they're willing to pay for big name players, especially when it comes to moving high end prospects on ELCs. In a flat cap era, those players are more valuable than they've ever been. That's why I'm not fussed about moving Miller now. Even as a pure rental at next year's deadline, I still feel like Miller will fetch a haul close to what teams are capping themselves at anyways. 

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Then keep Miller. It’s a real simple equation.

No not really.

Lafreniere, Schnieder, and a 1st would be a very good package. One that would set us up very nicely for the future.

That being said I don’t think New York offers that and I don’t think we trade him.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Oh, we have another year with him at 5mil after this? I for some reason was under the assumption his contract was expiring this year with all of the talk.

It would be absolute madness to trade him this deadline if we have another full year of his services for cheap. This kind of makes me dig my feet in the sand at this point.

If this was next year, then maybe I could see what stawns is saying with his proposal.... but we have another full year that we'd be stupid to give up on.

Yes, it would be downright stupid.  It sends a BRUTAL message to the rest of the team when they've been playing their hearts out to try and make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not saying he won't be moved eventually, but one would imagine that if management didn't feel that there was at least a solid chance at resigning him that he would be shipped out for the largest possible haul, which would mean at this year's deadline. 

That said, I feel that teams are really capping themselves in terms of what they're willing to pay for big name players, especially when it comes to moving high end prospects on ELCs. In a flat cap era, those players are more valuable than they've ever been. That's why I'm not fussed about moving Miller now. Even as a pure rental at next year's deadline, I still feel like Miller will fetch a haul close to what teams are capping themselves at anyways. 

I think playoff potential hold more sway of why he isn’t being moved personally. He is quite literally doing his part in keeping us in.

Also their would be a lot more suitors wanting Miller in the off-season than now with the extra cap to work with and teams using the off-season to make these sort of changes. 

They’ll definitely do their due diligence either way with Miller in order to plan ahead. In fact weren’t they talking to Boeser and Miller already about how they think they’re next deal would look like in their eyes? I think I remember seeing reports in regards of that. 

Definitely will be an interesting off-season but we have a potential playoff run prior to that. I don’t know what will happen this deadline but I have a feeling it could be a quiet one. 

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I understand what you are saying. At the end of the day what JT is doing on the scoreboard is simply defining the offer it will take to get him. As you pointed out it is what comes back in a timeline that will help the Canucks. IMO Miller is playing at his peak right now and a question is how long can he maintain that? He sure looks good out there right now. Does Rutherford sacrifice playoff hopes by moving JT? Such a move would be hard core realism for Canuck fans.

Maybe another aspect of this question is what does the management group see in the prospect pool that might compliment the Canuck core without having to move Miller? So many of them are playing in Europe. Do they offer something good enough to waive the need for the 1st rdr s a Miller trade would return? Can Canucks afford the likely $10 million ask with term that his play might warrant?

At the end of the day a Miller trade is still the lowest risk move the Canucks have. The offer has to be huge, the question of resigning him has to be in play, and the question of how long he can maintain his play if resigned are all there. Remove one player and pick up at least 3 who will play on the club. It would reduce the risk, broaden the talent depth out, reduce the CAP hit, make the team younger, address the RD problem and more than anything give Rutherford more options moving forward.

I still think Miller is moved if the playoff drive falters. The offers will grow as the TDL gets nearer, especially if JT keeps his scoring pace up. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's gonna be fun coming back to this thread after deadline day :lol:

I think every person advocating for a trade is saying only if they don't have a realistic chance at the playoffs and only if they get the deal they want.  No one wants to dump him and no one is expecting a trade unless it's under the right circumstances.  

Right now, I'd say it's 50/50 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not sure he gets moved this deadline anymore. Doesn’t appear like he will though JR and Alvin have been keeping their cards tucked close lately. 

Not sure what to expect this deadline. We’ll see. 

Sounds like their preference is to extend him.  Allvin in his interview with LeBrun for The Athletic:  

"He’s playing the way you want your best player to play.  So, he’s hopefully a guy that we can continue to have here in Vancouver. But we haven’t gone down that path yet obviously with his camp and with J.T. — it’s something we’ll get into this summer."

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Sounds like their preference is to extend him.  Allvin in his interview with LeBrun for The Athletic:  

"He’s playing the way you want your best player to play.  So, he’s hopefully a guy that we can continue to have here in Vancouver. But we haven’t gone down that path yet obviously with his camp and with J.T. — it’s something we’ll get into this summer."

Good.  Sounds like this management knows what the right thing to do is when you have one of the premier centres in the entire NHL on your team.  You find cap space elsewhere... not by trading your best player, and a potential Hart trophy candidate.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Good.  Sounds like this management knows what the right thing to do is when you have one of the premier centres in the entire NHL on your team.  You find cap space elsewhere... not by trading your best player, and a potential Hart trophy candidate.

Alvin isn’t going to say anything diff. It will take a huge offer to get Miller and the Canucks are setting the table. Still a chance that happens. 

• Cheers 1