The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Alvin isn’t going to say anything diff. It will take a huge offer to get Miller and the Canucks are setting the table. Still a chance that happens. 

This is always the argument for people that don't hear what they want to hear...

Allvin could have EASILY said "He’s playing the way you want your best player to play, but as with everything else, we will need to evaluate the entire team moving forward to place us in the best position possible to succeed."

Why can't people just accept what people say at face value?  Allvin literally said he would like to keep JT Miller as a Canuck and will be going down that path this summer :picard:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Alvin isn’t going to say anything diff. It will take a huge offer to get Miller and the Canucks are setting the table. Still a chance that happens. 

At this point i just don't see a mega offer happening especially if they are talking extension. He is saying what you would expect most gms to say in this situation but I get the impression that the teams interested are not offering up what they want. In that case it makes sense to try to resign him and if he doesn't maybe do a deal at the draft.

2 minutes ago, JC2 said:

At this point i just don't see a mega offer happening especially if they are talking extension. He is saying what you would expect most gms to say in this situation but I get the impression that the teams interested are not offering up what they want. In that case it makes sense to try to resign him and if he doesn't maybe do a deal at the draft.

Doing a deal at the draft reduces Miller’s value as he will miss this year’s playoffs. The advantage to that would be more interested parties as CAP space would be available. Does that make up for the reduced value? Does the threat of Miller not resigning but going to UFA reduce the offers as well? I think it does. This is why I think he gets dealt now if he is moved. 
Ultimately Van’s maximum need is a long term partner for our franchise d-man. Are there other options we aren’t considering that gets there and still retains Miller? 

I still think Miller is moved.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Oh, we have another year with him at 5mil after this? I for some reason was under the assumption his contract was expiring this year with all of the talk.

It would be absolute madness to trade him this deadline if we have another full year of his services for cheap. This kind of makes me dig my feet in the sand at this point.

If this was next year, then maybe I could see what stawns is saying with his proposal.... but we have another full year that we'd be stupid to give up on.

Yeah Im starting to agree. I was fully on the trade Miller train a month ago, but the team is showing enough consistency to make an actual push for the playoffs. Can't see us trading Miller at the deadline now.

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Doing a deal at the draft reduces Miller’s value as he will miss this year’s playoffs. The advantage to that would be more interested parties as CAP space would be available. Does that make up for the reduced value? Does the threat of Miller not resigning but going to UFA reduce the offers as well? I think it does. This is why I think he gets dealt now if he is moved. 
Ultimately Van’s maximum need is a long term partner for our franchise d-man. Are there other options we aren’t considering that gets there and still retains Miller? 

I still think Miller is moved.

While it's true a draft deal would be a reduced return you don't trade him now unless the offer makes sense. Even though I believe he won't resign because he wants to win now it might at least be worth a try if nobody bites. There just seems to be a lot reluctance from other teams to pay big prices  even for top players. That could change at the deadline but in my opinion it doesn't. Needless to say I want this deadline to pass already. So much speculation and so little answers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I mean that pretty much means they don’t have plans to trade him (barring a ridiculous offer).

Probably why they’re not getting many calls anymore.

They shouldn’t be rushing to trade players just for the sake of it anyways. There will be more options to make different moves in the summer.

This team seems to just be finding an identity under Boudreau. Worst thing you could do now is start blowing it up.

• Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean that pretty much means they don’t have plans to trade him (barring a ridiculous offer).

Probably why they’re not getting many calls anymore.

They shouldn’t be rushing to trade players just for the sake of it anyways. There will be more options to make different moves in the summer.

This team seems to just be finding an identity under Boudreau. Worst thing you could do now is start blowing it up.

there's also 11 days to go yet. No one really needs to be in a rush. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

there's also 11 days to go yet. No one really needs to be in a rush. 

11 days isn’t much.

I get that teams like to wait right up until the deadline to get a better sense of their real needs. But surely the conversations need to be happening now.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Sounds like their preference is to extend him.  Allvin in his interview with LeBrun for The Athletic:  

"He’s playing the way you want your best player to play.  So, he’s hopefully a guy that we can continue to have here in Vancouver. But we haven’t gone down that path yet obviously with his camp and with J.T. — it’s something we’ll get into this summer."

he can say what he wants in the media, but the reality is that paying a declining asset the kind of money that Miller is going to get is ridiculous for a team that is at 4-5 years away from being a true contender.  If he even wants to stay, which is highly doubtful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JC2 said:

While it's true a draft deal would be a reduced return you don't trade him now unless the offer makes sense. Even though I believe he won't resign because he wants to win now it might at least be worth a try if nobody bites. There just seems to be a lot reluctance from other teams to pay big prices  even for top players. That could change at the deadline but in my opinion it doesn't. Needless to say I want this deadline to pass already. So much speculation and so little answers.

that's true in any time other than next year's tdl

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

he can say what he wants in the media, but the reality is that paying a declining asset the kind of money that Miller is going to get is ridiculous for a team that is at 4-5 years away from being a true contender.  If he even wants to stay, which is highly doubtful.

ive generally agree with you that the most logical move would be to trade Miller for a return that will set this team up for the next decade.

But im starting to question my position that this team is a few years away from being a true contender.  Are we that far off?  To me it looks like they are a top 4 D, and maybe a couple players that add toughness up front while being able to put up 3rd line production, away from taking the next step and challenging the top teams.

Theres a lot of good offence up front, goaltending is excellent, 4th line is the best weve had in a decade.  Can they push the envelope with this group by adding?  

How many Miller calibre players have we had in 50 years? 

This group is making it really hard to decide what to do!

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

11 days isn’t much.

I get that teams like to wait right up until the deadline to get a better sense of their real needs. But surely the conversations need to be happening now.

thats a lot of time in the NHL. Everyone knows who's available and the rough price. I think GMs are using the time they have to decide if they really need to do anything, this extra 3 weeks this year is really unusual. 

Once a big name drops though I'd expect to see it all shake loose. 

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

A declining asset is like a boat that sits in water..  even if you use it,  it just is.

Overused term unless your talking about L E.