Miller 

Petterson

hughes 

demko 

podz 

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Everyone is available at the right place. 

Well, of course.  But realistically we have Demko, Hughes, and Petey who are untouchable.  

Maybe it's a good thing we lose these last three before the TDL?  Sends the message to our owner to listen to and take the guidance from the managers he's hired to turn us into a consistent contender.

10 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Ultimately, if the Canucks do trade away Miller the leadership loss, while a factor, won't be felt as much as Pavelski's was because I believe we still have other core leadership pieces that the Sharks didn't.

I'm not so sure. We finally seemed to have recovered from losing the leadership of Marky and Tanev, not sure this group left is resilient enough and might need a few years to figure out an identity again. 

I doubt anyone is going to show up between now and the TDL with that 3-4 piece deal for Miller anyway, so this is likely pushed into the summer.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Serious question.

With Millers agent flat out tweeting the show me the money gif after the Hertl signing.

At what point does Miller price himself out of Vancouver?

I have qualms about signing a player like Miller long term for the amount he will command based on the open market.  It will absolutely handcuff us something fierce if we're not careful and we kind of have a history of signing players who were doing great then....weren't

I wanted to move him for pricing us out long before the Hertl tweet or his recent bump in play under BB. So like last spring...?:lol:

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not so sure. We finally seemed to have recovered from losing the leadership of Marky and Tanev, not sure this group left is resilient enough and might need a few years to figure out an identity again. 

I doubt anyone is going to show up between now and the TDL with that 3-4 piece deal for Miller anyway, so this is likely pushed into the summer.

Miller would be taking a huge risk not accepting any offer over 60 million presented this summer.  He will be 30 July 2023.  Will another team offer him 60+ million then?  Doubtful.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Miller would be taking a huge risk not accepting any offer over 60 million presented this summer.  He will be 30 July 2023.  Will another team offer him 60+ million then?  Doubtful.

Numerous teams will likely line up to offer him $9x7 easily.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, aGENT said:

I wanted to move him for pricing us out long before the Hertl tweet or his recent bump in play under BB. So like last spring...?:lol:

It seems like, under Benning, we made some very good trades, but the timing wasn't right.  Miller is great player, but was it good timing to give up all the futures to get him when we did?  

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it's a good thing we lose these last three before the TDL?  Sends the message to our owner to listen to and take the guidance from the managers he's hired to turn us into a consistent contender.

Be careful Alf, you make a lot of sense when you're not labeling anyone and everyone a bust lol....

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Numerous teams will likely line up to offer him $9x7 easily.

Will they? I'm not too sure if any team (a good one that is building to be a winner, so JT will want to go there) will offer a long term, big money deal (60+ million) to a 30 year old, who isn't one of their own. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Serious question.

With Millers agent flat out tweeting the show me the money gif after the Hertl signing.

At what point does Miller price himself out of Vancouver?

I have qualms about signing a player like Miller long term for the amount he will command based on the open market.  It will absolutely handcuff us something fierce if we're not careful and we kind of have a history of signing players who were doing great then....weren't

He's playing too good to trade him, but also too good for signing him. It doesn't make sense, so one of these things must be false, and I'm thinking he isn't playing too good to trade. I'm a big Miller fan, but the closer it gets to the deadline and seeing other teams cash in for the future, the more I want to do the same. Signing him until 36-38yo scares me. I'd rather not take the risk.

• Upvote 2

Gotta trade Miller.  
That contract is going to look insanely bad in a few short years, when we are supposed to be build a consistent contender for the future.  The haul we get will be amazing for the build. 

It just makes too much sense to trade him.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He will get north of $9 million on a middling team.

One of the bigger market easter teams will be able to get him for that $9 million I'd imagine

At $9 million i'd be incredibly hesitant to sign him because, and I know this won't track well; that $9 million is an immediate anchor when we need to retain Horvat/Hughes/Pettersson in the next few years while that contract exists.

Not to mention the need to then somehow still find top 2-4 RHD/LHD once OEL and Myers are gone from the team, capable winger to replace Boeser unless he is retained etc.

We know what that contract would look like in 4 or 5 years with his age.  The cap hit would make it un-tradable if he dips below a 60 point per season average.  Even if he trends down to a 70 point player between years 2 and 4 of that contract it is bad.  The inevitable downslope would then see us overpaying for a middle 6 producer.

Ya, he's great now.  But I again worry about the Cheechoo/J. Blake effect or in this istance.  The Jamie Benn effect; Benn who is actually almost literally the mirror image of Miller in terms of production and potential contract

And no, he is absolutely NOT taking a team friendly deal.  Nobody does; that's literally never happened.  Mackinnon didn't, he didn't produce like a #1 player so he got paid accordingly.  Team friendly deals leave like, $500k on the table, not MILLIONS, so I am unsure why people keep pretending that would happen.  Like every BC born player they claim is coming here ;) 

Hot damn, actually Jamie Benn is almost the perfect comparable to JT Miller.  

J. Benn

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jamie-benn

JT. Miller

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jt-miller

Could you imagine paying Miller for 50 point production at $9 million + in his 30s?

Agreed.  
I don’t see how they can even consider resigning him.  
It’s his last and first chance for that big contract.   
He is going to want to get paid, and will want term.  
9x7or8 is my guess, and right now he is totally worth it!     Just not from us!

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He's playing too good to trade him, but also too good for signing him. It doesn't make sense, so one of these things must be false, and I'm thinking he isn't playing too good to trade. I'm a big Miller fan, but the closer it gets to the deadline and seeing other teams cash in for the future, the more I want to do the same. Signing him until 36-38yo scares me. I'd rather not take the risk.

I tried thinking of a good comparable and found Jamie Benn.

Benn signed his contract a shade younger than Miller and will be done when he's 35.

So we'd be signing Miller to a 7-8 year deal at $9.5 million at age 29 meaning we'd be holding him past 35 with minimal cap increases forecasted for the next few years with Pettersson on a shorter term contract and knowing that Myers/OEL would be replaced during that term via free agency because we have nobody in the pipe like them.

Simply put, Miller has priced himself out of here and by the current standings after last nights loss against a "gimme team"; our playoff hopes are like 2 or 3 consecutive losses away from being over

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.10.04 AM.png

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

We're darned if we do and darned if we don't. 

Sign him and he could have 2 or 3 productive years (maybe even 4 or so)where he earns his contract but no matter what people here say (and we all know who they are and what their arguments are) he will inevitably decline and not be able to live up to his contract which will definitely include ntc/nmc.  Then what?  By then we hope to contend and can't and shouldn't have an anchor contract on the books.

Trade him and people will be livid when he performs well for another club while we don't see the returned assets contributing for a few seasons perhaps?  Not to mention trading him now, at likely his career peak, would be taking a step back (on the ice) in order for the whole franchise to take arguably a huge step forward.   

One thing I don't want to have happen is the all too common cautionary tale known as the 'bad contract' and or the 'potential buyout' contract.   We all snicker at the likes of other teams signing guys like Subban, Benn, Karlsson,  Seguin, Skinner etc....and we all claim to know those contracts will never work out but some people think JT will sign here for below market value and not end up as another cautionary tale?

Hard decisions coming either way.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Agreed.  
I don’t see how they can even consider resigning him.  
It’s his last and first chance for that big contract.   
He is going to want to get paid, and will want term.  
9x7or8 is my guess, and right now he is totally worth it!     Just not from us!

Just look at Benns production 2 years after that contract was signed.  Even Seguin. C/W players both signed $9.5 million plus and Srguin at 3 years younger is seeing the exact same dips in production at the exact same time as Benn did.

So our options would then be a shorter term contract with a higher cap, let's say $1.25 million extra per year lost so a 4 year Miller is now like $12 million or so per year.

It's an insane thing to even consider this being possible even by trading or offloading Boeser to make room for him because he's now a prime paid player but is also overlapping in to the cap space for 2 bottom pairing or bottom 6 players as well with the space he takes up.

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I tried thinking of a good comparable and found Jamie Benn.

Benn signed his contract a shade younger than Miller and will be done when he's 35.

So we'd be signing Miller to a 7-8 year deal at $9.5 million at age 29 meaning we'd be holding him past 35 with minimal cap increases forecasted for the next few years with Pettersson on a shorter term contract and knowing that Myers/OEL would be replaced during that term via free agency because we have nobody in the pipe like them.

Simply put, Miller has priced himself out of here and by the current standings after last nights loss against a "gimme team"; our playoff hopes are like 2 or 3 consecutive losses away from being over

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.10.04 AM.png

I believe two more games for us before trade deadline. Those games will be telling.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I believe two more games for us before trade deadline. Those games will be telling.

Calgary on Saturday then fly to Buffalo with a potentially injured Pettersson.  We SHOULD win one of those games without question.  But.....What if we do?  One game win against either of those teams doesn't exactly budge the needle int he current standings and then we follow that up with Colorado and Minni mid week in back to back games then a home and home against St Louis.

It's a rough end to our month at best and could decide our season as early as next Thursday

Edited by Warhippy