The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Things got built up way too much, with the idea that a Miller trade this TDL was the giant springboard to a dream team. 

I think we have a good core now, and would like to see us built up with complimentary pieces that make us as effective as the recent LA teams were. I think we're much closer to that, than this two year rebuild idea. 

If we can bulk this team up with 3-4 more complimentary players like we see on teams like Minni, Demko can carry this team in the post season. 

Thats my idea as well. I think of LA and how they kept Kopitar which is a responsible comparison to Miller. Different players but production wise.. I have a strong feeling we will see a Miller extension this summer which will disappoint a few but I’m all for it 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Devron said:

Thats my idea as well. I think of LA and how they kept Kopitar which is a responsible comparison to Miller. Different players but production wise.. I have a strong feeling we will see a Miller extension this summer which will disappoint a few but I’m all for it 

we're clearly not going to be as big as that team was, but not sure we need to be. We do need two more big bodies up front, and at least one d but looking at the 2013 LA team I do see a lot of similarity in our core pieces (https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/LAK/2014.html). We're a stingy team 5 on 5 now without all the size of that LA team. 

If Rutherford could pull off a trade for Crouse, and we add in UFAs like Nick Paul and add a guy like Zadorov I like our chances. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we're clearly not going to be as big as that team was, but not sure we need to be. We do need two more big bodies up front, and at least one d but looking at the 2013 LA team I do see a lot of similarity in our core pieces (https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/LAK/2014.html). We're a stingy team 5 on 5 now without all the size of that LA team. 

If Rutherford could pull off a trade for Crouse, and we add in UFAs like Nick Paul and add a guy like Zadorov I like our chances. 

EKMAN-LARSSON - MYERS

HUGHES - SCHENN

ZADOROV - TRYAMKIN

ZADOROV - DORSETT would also be fine.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I call Leaf sauce here.

He's totally taking a team friendly deal because players having career years always leave millions on the table

$8.5-$9.5 million, pffft as if he'd want that much.

Right?

:bigblush:

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. The guy is giving his full effort here two seasons before he's a UFA. If he hated it here he'd be dragging his arse, not emerging as a team leader. He's not trying to cash in on his last year before UFA status. 

Just a gut feeling on my part. Again, not putting a ton of conviction behind it. I’d prefer he stays if it’s a contract good for both the player and the team. 

This is Rutherford’s (and his helper Allvin) first big test.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Just a gut feeling on my part. Again, not putting a ton of conviction behind it. I’d prefer he stays if it’s a contract good for both the player and the team. 

This is Rutherford’s (and his helper Allvin) first big test.

I could see something maybe a little lower than 8.5 depending on the bonus money and how the deal is structured.

Its a risky move for Miller not to do an extension a year early, there's a lot that can happen to a player in a year. I think his decision will be based more on the moves made prior to July 1st, e.g., if JR/PA can move some salary and trade for some better complimentary pieces I think that will go a long way to his willingness to re-sign. 

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Alf says stuff right outta crazytown at times….but I’ve never really been convinced that JT wants to keep playing in Canada. I’ll be happy to be wrong though.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. The guy is giving his full effort here two seasons before he's a UFA. If he hated it here he'd be dragging his arse, not emerging as a team leader. He's not trying to cash in on his last year before UFA status. 

I think this is just one of those situations where "we'll see".

Yes, he's giving his all, but he could also be that kind of player where he'll play like that for whatever team he's on whether he wants to stay there or not. One also doesn't have to fully hate a place to want to leave. For example, I want to move to Victoria from Prince George. Do I fully hate Prince George? No. I just want a change.

But this also doesn't mean Miller wants to leave either. He may very well like it here. Even if he wants to move to the states, that alone doesn't mean he does it. Going back to me, I've actually delayed going to Victoria. I will get there, but I haven't yet.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is, if all we have is speculation, it's anyone's guess. lol

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

8.5 I would do; it's the term that scares me.

so Elliotte seems to "know" the contract value is 60 mil. Assuming a 7 year deal thats... you guessed it, around 8.5. 

If Miller were willing to stretch that out over 8 years and bring it down to 7.5 that would be amazing. Why would he? TO style bonuses.

• Cheers 1

Let's take it easy here.  He can't re-sign until the summer.  Some preliminary conversations have undoubtedly happened with his agent, but real negotiations?  Both sides will want to have closure on his production, state of health and market conditions current at the end of the year before they get down to brass tacks. 

18 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Let's take it easy here.  He can't re-sign until the summer.  Some preliminary conversations have undoubtedly happened with his agent, but real negotiations?  Both sides will want to have closure on his production, state of health and market conditions current at the end of the year before they get down to brass tacks. 

Yeah I agree. The media's paid to speculate but that doesn't mean they're going to know any better in the end plus there are a lot of factors in between now and July 1st even. After that, there's still an entire year even to get this deal done if it happens.

That being said, it should be interesting to see if/when the deal gets done. We've been used to seeing Benning take his time in these signings in the past. Will we see more of the same in that regard or will there be contracts signed more sooner than later? One could argue we have a lot of skill in the front office with the recent hirings, but that could mean a lot of things. We could play more hardball with the players in the negotiations to make it take longer. We could have better communication skills and quicker thinking to get things done faster. It could mean anything.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1