The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

I don’t see why some people think a 2nd overall is a slam dunk. It’s not, even a high draft pick is a risk.  At least the team getting Miller know exactly what they’re getting.  Nobody knows what the 2nd could end up, I’m sure in a redraft the Flyers might not have taken Nolan Patrick at #2.  All the risk is on the Canucks end. The Devils if they want Miller have an entire year to extend him. And they have som many players on their ELC like Luke Hughes. The Devils say they want to win now so let’s see if they’re really serious.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep it is. I think they let Strome go, give Copp his retirement deal. 

I like the proposals around NJ a lot better, but I'm greedy. I want that 2nd oa. 

Copp is the perfect fit. I got to give credit to Drury there on that pick up. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I don’t see why some people think a 2nd overall is a slam dunk. It’s not, even a high draft pick is a risk.  At least the team getting Miller know exactly what they’re getting.  Nobody knows what the 2nd could end up, I’m sure in a redraft the Flyers might not have taken Nolan Patrick at #2.  All the risk is on the Canucks end. The Devils if they want Miller have an entire year to extend him. And they have som many players on their ELC like Luke Hughes. The Devils say they want to win now so let’s see if they’re really serious.  

Nothing is every a slam dunk. McDavid could have a catastrophic knee failure and never play a day of hockey again. Anything can happen. That being said, Slafkovsky is an absolute beast and could be a big time player. 

And we know what Miller is, now. What's Miller in 2 years? What about 6 years? Thats the concern, which is the exact same concern as a high level prospect. 

16 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Absolutely picks are a risk...I think people are just saying that if its a forgone conclusion Miller is moved (since from the language from both sides seems that the expectations are quite far apart, Canucks want a discount, Miller wants Market value), that assuming we want and expect a first rounder, the higher is obviously better.

Any prospects we get back can bust, that's why even a trade for Brandt Clarke, Turcotte and their first could end up being nothing. But at some point you also have to trust your pro and amateur scouting groups to be pretty good in assessing odds. The rest of it is your development.

What we don't want, is a situation where we're getting NHL ready players who while they solve a hole for us, don't have upside and are just average players / players without high upsides or a deal of just prospects unless they are truly elite.

The problem is, other teams will try and give us average pros for an exceptional one, or B prospects. To get a deal done that benefits us, we need multiple parties bidding and really pushing for him. Then we will see the return that's fair. 

Baerschi was 13th overall, Jake was 6th, Juolevi was 5th, Dal Colle 4th overall, Perlini 12th, Honka 14th, on and on...so picks are not sure things I agree. The 'right' trade must be

A young NHL player who fills a void for us (3c/RD) who is proven and has elite upside

A second NHL player who is adequate to fill the other void or a prospect who has elite upside

1st round pick

The issue is, do we get that. Need a buyer to give that up

39 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

How about 

Miller, Garland, 15th

For

2nd overall

Luke Hughes

Zacha?

drool....one can dream

How about Miller + Demko + Bo for Luke Hughes + Jack Hughes 

Get ‘er done JR.  :frantic:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

yeah that Lundkvist part didn't thrill me either. I wasn't too motivated on Chytil because I'm hoping for a right shot C but maybe I'm being greedy.

Myers to Seattle for Morgan Geekie (C-R) 23yrs

Chytil     Geekie     Podz

(the scoring, stopping and stomping line)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I agree. If we have to trade him. We should get a lot more than the 2OA

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I agree. If we have to trade him. We should get a lot more than the 2OA

Why is Miller (who needs a new contract, so is a rental) worth even 2OA?  Yes, he’s awesome, but what if he leaves Jersey after one season?  

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Myers to Seattle for Morgan Geekie (C-R) 23yrs

Chytil     Geekie     Podz

(the scoring, stopping and stomping line)

How about Myers to Seattle for Larsen?  (Is that the ex Oiler/Devil’s name?). Love to see him with us as Quinn’s partner.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why is Miller (who needs a new contract, so is a rental) worth even 2OA?  Yes, he’s awesome, but what if he leaves Jersey after one season?  

I believe whoever gets him would have the general cap space or be willing to have the cap space to sign his extension. If the Canucks want a big haul, I’m sure they will allow the suitor opportunities to negotiate the extension. This is all pending that we can’t sign him ourselves of course (I personally think he will stay)

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about Myers to Seattle for Larsen?  (Is that the ex Oiler/Devil’s name?). Love to see him with us as Quinn’s partner.  

Seattle only has 2 natural RD and the 2nd guy is barely NHL.  Larsen has an NMC, but I think he'd be the 1sr pairing guy

with Myers on the 2nd pairing.  They are both minute munchers and a veteran voice for a rebuilding team.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I believe whoever gets him would have the general cap space or be willing to have the cap space to sign his extension. If the Canucks want a big haul, I’m sure they will allow the suitor opportunities to negotiate the extension. This is all pending that we can’t sign him ourselves of course (I personally think he will stay)

I think @mllpointed out the negotiation period with 2023 UFAs doesn’t come until a week after the coming 2022 draft.  So 

Jersey wouldn’t be able to talk to JT (I think I’m right?) until after this draft.  

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Seattle only has 2 natural RD and the 2nd guy is barely NHL.  Larsen has an NMC, but I think he'd be the 1sr pairing guy

with Myers on the 2nd pairing.  They are both minute munchers and a veteran voice for a rebuilding team.

All very true, but it would be nice t get a partner for Hughes (Like Makar has with Toews) tjat would allow Quinn to be more offensively minded.  

I was talking with my brother today, who is also an invested Canuck Fan. He in all seriousness said he would take K'andre Miller for JT Miller stratight up. I almost hung up the phone. I like K'andre Miller's game but given JT is an all situations beast, we can command so much more (hopefully). This is what I am hoping for in any trade, should it happen.

-1st rnd pick or even 2 of them!

-highly touted RHD prospect 

-young 20-26 NHL roster player that has room to grow with our young core

The more I look at Boston and the construction of their team, I see a great trade fit. Bergeron retruns for 1 more year on a sweetheart deal.

To BOS: Miller + Poolman

To Van: 1st rnd pick 2023, Fabian Lysel, DeBrusk, 

If Colorado doesn't wiin the cup this year and they lose Kadri to free agency, I could see them viewing JT as a great rental.

To Col: Miller

To Van: 1st rnd pick 2023, Newhook

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think @mllpointed out the negotiation period with 2023 UFAs doesn’t come until a week after the coming 2022 draft.  So 

Jersey wouldn’t be able to talk to JT (I think I’m right?) until after this draft.  

You can't sign a deal until then but you can talk to the agent all you want. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All very true, but it would be nice t get a partner for Hughes (Like Makar has with Toews) tjat would allow Quinn to be more offensively minded.  

Definitely, but that won't come back in a Myers trade.   Hughes' partner doesn't have to be a high-end offensive player.

He needs to have speed, physical strength and most of all a very good defensive player.  Still, a younger player that

has those skills is not easy to come by.  It may take time for the team to have the assets for a trade or maybe by trading

a star player.

In the meantime, Matt Roy might be available (from the Kings, who have a ridiculous amount of decentNHL ready RDs)

and as it happens, they are in dire need for a top 6 RW.  Hint hint.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If that’s the case then Miller is definitely not being traded at the draft. The team will rather try to negotiate and sign a fair extension before trading him. Management has made it abundantly clear that they will try to sign him to a reasonable deal. He is not being traded unless the numbers end up being too far apart.

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

I love Farabee :wub: 

But him and Provorov are probably near untouchable off that list. Never hurts to ask though!

Still, Konecny, 5th OA and Frost wouldn't be an awful return either ;)

All depends on how desperate they are to turn things around I guess.

I mean, it'd help solve some of what we'd lose giving up Miller. Konecny's nothing to sneeze at. Not overly big but if you play him with say.. Horvat and Pearson or Horvat and Podz and that'd insulate things a bit. Just turned 25 too.

Hell, just the 5th overall and Konecny would be worth it imo. High pick, top six forward and whatever you save in cap by not extending Miller which would probably amount to 4.5M given Konecny makes 5.5M the next three seasons.

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why is everyone so obsessed with trading Miller? The last time we had anyone at 99 to 104 points was the Twins and that was back in 2010-11.

Miller is 31 points above the next best Canuck. Seems to me, we'd be better served keeping him and getting rid of some the expensive dead weight.

It's possible we might have to move him anyways if an extension is too pricey. But the reality is not many teams have cap space. So you may not get what you are hoping for.

Because while he was our best forward last season there's a good chance he's peaked, and he'll be 30 by the time his contract kicks in. That matters because unless you're overpaying on a shorter term basis you're spreading your cap over 7-8 seasons and at some point during his extension he'll cease to be worth what he's paid; and that really matters because I reckon he can command 9M. Getting say.. maybe 3-4 seasons of higher end production isn't worth 3-4 years of him being an anchor of sorts when our young core is likely hitting their peak. 

It's also about selling high, which this club has a pretty poor history of doing. Move Miller and you can bring in assets to supplement the current team while building towards the future. Which, for an organization with a young core but a bleak prospect pool is pretty important. You've always gotta be looking towards that next wave of cost controlled, RFA talent. 

I'm tired of watching this team spin it's wheels in mediocrity, just trying to make the playoffs and hoping something happens, and we haven't even managed to do that successfully. Moving Miller is about looking at a window that's a bit further away than the next 2-3 seasons and about building around our young core pieces.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What I heard concerning is when PA recently said they still have JT and Bo for this coming season and came across as there being no urgency to re-sign them this off season. They will talk to their agents, get the discussion started, but they still have them for next season.

Are they really going to trade JT at the TDL if they can't agree on a new deal?  That would be crazy, for a team trying to make the playoffs - trading their best player down the stretch?  Or crazier yet, letting JT walk after next season.

IMO, the contracts for Bo and JT need to be done this off season, they don't need the distraction.

The more I'm learning about the 2022 prospects and with the Draft coming up - I would love it if Van could get another 1st+. 

Going into next season with them un-signed would be a huge distraction and media talking point, particularly Miller given the noise that's already surrounding him.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

DeBrusk has really improved his game.  25goals.  I see him as a trade asset.

Yup, he's not a buy low candidate or cap dump anymore as he's turned his game around.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They mentioned this on todays 32 thoughts. Marek asked Slafkovsky about playing center, Slafkovsky mentioned some teams asked him if he could & he named dropped Vancouver & NJ.

As a base Miller + 15th for 2nd + ???? 

NJ has some intriguing roster players; ala Zacha, Wood.

I'd be down for that, I see a lot of upside regarding trading with Jersey.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

JT Miller 

Big if true, can you elaborate? 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 4