The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t think we’d be taking that huge of a step back though? 

And we never win the lottery, so I think Bedard is a pipe dream. 

IMO with Petey and Hughes taking another step forward, Garland being more comfortable and Brock’s likely resurgence it wouldn’t be that huge of a step back. 

I’m just dreaming of a future where we draft a local franchise player and leads us to the cup. Kid is absolutely filthy. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

IMO with Petey and Hughes taking another step forward, Garland being more comfortable and Brock’s likely resurgence it wouldn’t be that huge of a step back. 

I’m just dreaming of a future where we draft a local franchise player and leads us to the cup. Kid is absolutely filthy. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Debrusk has turned his game around.  Scored 25g, mostly playing as 3LW.  Lysell is killing it with the Giants and is

highly rated prospect.  He's 19yrs.  Way too early to be making predictions for his career.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/getting-to-know-fabian-lysell/c-325772154

"A player that has been recognized as one of the most dynamic, game-changing players in his draft class, Lysell is known widely for his skating ability and puck-handling skills.

Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney, along with Boston's scouting staff, have had Lysell on their radar for over two years leading into the draft.

"I think we do identify with the skill and the game-breaking ability," said Sweeney. "He's got speed, he can shoot the puck. We'll go down and watch him live at the U18's. You saw the pockets of high-end ability.

"Again, now there's details and things that all young players have to learn and assimilate with the North American style, but he has attributes that I think we identified the Boston Bruins need as much of as we possibly can. Scoring and skills are hard to find and Fabian has a lot of those attributes."

Debrusk is already 25 hasn't even eclipsed his second season in the NHL and has regressed. Not even close as a centrepiece for JT Miller

Lysell has about a 50% chance of making the NHL he's killing it in junior but so has nearly every first rounder. I have doubts that his game will translate at all. Prospects get way overhyped here. 

Throw Carlo in there then we'll talk. 

This isn't close to the value of a 90+ point centre who can play in all situations and is a leader. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Need to get Carlo or no point in trading with Bruins.

I agree. I wouldn’t trade with Boston unless they included Carlo.  Lysell is a nice piece but we already have alot of small forwards. Look at Colorado. They have giants in the top 6. Multiple guys that are 6’4”. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

If we could pull off Carlo Debrusk 2023 1st for Jt miller Pearson I’d pull trigger 

Yes that's a solid and fair deal. While we don't get any elite players back, we get very good NHL'ers who can fill important holes and are young and fit into the real window with this group.

It also gives us flexibility to move say a Pearson/Boeser/Garland to fill other holes. We could also simply flip Debrusk as well. Lots of flexibility and the first is important too.

Miller for Carlo and the first would be enough for me given our need on RD and the fact Carlo is exactly what we need.

42 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah I’m probably Clifton’s biggest fan on CDC and that return is underwhelming. 

Ya neither will Boston there not giving up lysell or combo of debrusk plus Carlo so I don’t see fit at all With Bruins 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Speaking of Colorado, I'd really like the see the Canucks go hard after Nikushkin, I thought he was a bust in Dallas, then went back to Russia for a bit, and now seems to have emerged. You can probably discount his point total a bit from playing in Colorado, but watching him in the playoffs, he is a beast. He uses his size really well, can skate, forcheck and is just alot to handle up front. Maybe after all the Bo vs Nikushkin draft day debate we can end up with both.

Would be nice piece just don’t think he comes at decent contract after his year 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes, hopefully Miller pays that pick back ... and then some. Here's the guy that could be in our system. His 45 46 91 stat line is looking pretty darn good. I personally would have taken Sillinger.

image.png.fed1b66ea7de3a275c27defee8c7fd0b.png

We need to be like some other teams where they have numerous prospects at each position. It's not like you can have too many center or D prospects .... it seems we've never had more than one top notch prospect in our pool. Period, let alone multiples at one position.

Not til recently that I can remember, and then they all graduated in succession 

We never seem to have an enviable crop of prospects who haven't made the jump like other teams

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I like this stat line pretty good too.

He should only improve under Boudreau next season.

AE2EA5DB-99D5-4F8D-938D-388B8E96A444.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing what he can do, I reckon he'd thrive in a larger role

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Yes that's a solid and fair deal. While we don't get any elite players back, we get very good NHL'ers who can fill important holes and are young and fit into the real window with this group.

It also gives us flexibility to move say a Pearson/Boeser/Garland to fill other holes. We could also simply flip Debrusk as well. Lots of flexibility and the first is important too.

Miller for Carlo and the first would be enough for me given our need on RD and the fact Carlo is exactly what we need.

I would do that in a heartbeat. Carlo overall isn't a great player but he is very good defensively, has size and a right handed shot. 25 years old with 5 years remaining at a very reasonable 4.1 million. He is just such a good fit alongside Hughes.

That said, no mention of Carlo from the Bruins side although their proposals are horrible - 1st round pick, Trent Frederic, and Mason Lohrei. That is actually worse than what we got for Kesler (Bonino >>> Frederic, the rest equal) who was coming off of a 43 point season and people weren't even thrilled with that return. Even adding DeBrusk to the package I would hope we wouldn't do it. 

In terms of roster players the only one who interests me is Carlo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Would be nice piece just don’t think he comes at decent contract after his year 

he's only had one good season, others have been 20-25 pts. You offer him 5x5 he comes running. You're betting on it being a breakout year and could end up being an awful move, but given how I've seen him play, it looks like he's finally figured it out and is meeting his draft expectations. I can't see anyone willing to risk more than $5 mil on a one year performance, and giving term like 5 years should attract him...imho

2 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

One can dream. 

I think Bedard will eventually play for the Canucks one day. It’ll probably be when he’s a FA. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 1:24 PM, Warhippy said:

Giroux is closer to 35 than 34

Kadri is almost 32 and has now only produced 2 seasons of 60+ points

Malkin is almost 36 and hasn't played anything close to a full season since 2017/2018

If NJ wants to pony up $9 million for any of the above by all means let them.  

Hence, why I said they could, if they wanted to. I don’t see them doing so. If anything they need to fix their goaltending problem, before making any play on a big named ticket up front.

Remember they also have a lot of cap coming off in a few years. Bernier, Tatar, Johnsson, and Severson (likely re-sign) are all coming off the books after next season.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, Gawdzukes said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/06/03/projected-2nd-overall-pick-slafkovsky-canucks-interviewed-centre/

If you’re a Canucks fan, you likely haven’t done much reading about Juraj Slafkovsky.

But on Friday morning’s 32 Thoughts Podcast, Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman spoke about a conversation they had with Slafkovsky, who is projected to be selected second overall at this year’s NHL Entry Draft in Montreal.

The 18-year-old winger, ranked 1st overall among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, told Friedman and Marek in a past conversation that a few teams he spoke with asked if the left winger had the ability to play centre. The two teams he remembered?

The New Jersey Devils – who currently hold the second overall pick – and the Vancouver Canucks, who are slated to pick first at 15th.

One of these things is not like the other.

Here’s the full transcript of the conversation between Marek and Friedman.

Marek: An interesting note: We asked Slafkovsky about it because he’s a winger, but we asked about playing centre as well and he has played centre before in his life. He said that a few teams asked him if he would be able to play centre at this point or play centre in the NHL. He was trying to remember and the two teams he gave us were New Jersey and Vancouver as he was trying to remember which teams asked him if he would play centre as well.

Friedman: Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. I could be making something out of absolutely nothing here — something out of absolutely nothing. But that’s what podcasting and sports discussion is all about. You just said two teams asked Salfkovsky about playing centre.

Marek: Minimum two teams — he said there were a few teams, the ones that he could remember, he believed it was New Jersey and Vancouver.

Friedman: Okay, here’s my thing. Where’s New Jersey pick?

Marek: Second.

Friedman: Where’s Vancouver?

Marek: 15, right after the Winnipeg Jets and before the Buffalo Sabres.

Friedman: Why would the Vancouver Canucks be asking Salfkovsky if he can play centre? They’re not getting him at 15.

Marek: Unless they move up. I think you have to always do your due dilligence. Like, ‘what would it cost to get into the top three?’ I think everybody has those conversations. Just like you talked about the other day, you know, Tom Fitzgerald of the New Jersey Devils making a list of ‘okay, who from which teams would we be willing to trade the second overall pick for?’ I think if you’re any team, you know, you’re the Los Angeles Kings or the Dallas Stars or the Washington Capitals or in this case, the Vancouver Canucks — I think you see what it costs, don’t you? And if you’re gonna see what it costs and if you’re fine with it, then I think you have the obligation to be as thorough with your interviews as possible.

Now, whether this means the Canucks are trading up to second overall or not remains to be seen, and after using a phone-a-friend, we’d advise not holding your breath on that.

“Yes, just in case you trade up,” an anonymous league executive told CanucksArmy when asked if it’s normal for a team drafting in the middle of the first round to interview a second overall pick. “You usually do quick meetings with the top 20 or so and then some guys you think will be in the mix around the time of your second or third selection.

“Meeting with a number two projection doesn’t necessarily mean they’re trading for that pick. It certainly could be that! But it could also be just normal due diligence.”

Now, the Devils have been linked to Canucks forward J.T. Miller in the past, and as Marek mentioned, Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald has reportedly made a list of players and assets around the league that his club would be willing to move the second overall pick for.

If the Canucks are on that list at all, you have to assume Miller’s name is there.

That being said, it’s likely wise if you don’t get your hopes up that the 6’4 Slafkovsky will be donning a Canucks uniform anytime soon.

Funny, I don’t see any hockey insider saying NJ interested in Miller. There’s a lot of vague assumptions by Marek here, who isn’t really an insider. He usually like to make stuff up, just to stir the pot and get views for his podcast. Even Friedman was surprised that Vancouver was one of the team who asked about Salfkovsky