The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

The coin can keep being flipped though. We know the locker room and fanbase damage that was caused by those slugs we traded and management... would it be worth it to continue to harm the relationship between the franchise and our star players by standing pat and making no effort to improve?

No argument from me!  Did we improve short term or long term however?  If it was only short term then we probably should have just bit the bullet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Had oj been healthy and able to develop normally, I think we'd feel different.  I look at d a little differently and would look at building a d corp through trades, UFA, waiver pick ups etc......I prefer picking up dmen after they're development is done, or almost done 

I've tried to support OJ. To be blunt, he was a complete disappointment ever since I saw him at Young Guns.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

He turns 31 on July 17th

In 1 calender year do you feel your body changes soo drastically its very noticable? These are top tier pro athletes, mid 30's is not old. It's end of your prime years most likely. 

Some guys keep the pace though. I don't think Josi will fall on his face in just 3 years. Look at little joe in Dallas or ovi? Giroux? On a lesser level Jeff Carter? List goes on and on honestly 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

It wasn't a top ten pick and they got a top pairing dman in his prime and 50+ point guy on rw.......plus got rid of a lot of cap.  Every GM makes that deal, imo

Was it not 9th overall?  My bad if I'm remembering that wrong!

OEL and his contract have the potential to burn us very hard.  There's no way to spin it other than just hoping that it doesn't.  I love the player but there's a long way to go before I consider that trade to be a win.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ok, that's definitely a different view than most. But to trade for a developed Dman you need the depth to do it. Need to draft and develop regardless. 

I agree and that's a reason they need to make a CPL of smart deals, especially with Miller. They need some young, NHL ready players in the lineup to make sure there is a succession in place

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Was it not 9th overall?  My bad if I'm remembering that wrong!

OEL and his contract have the potential to burn us very hard.  There's no way to spin it other than just hoping that it doesn't.  I love the player but there's a long way to go before I consider that trade to be a win.

You're right, my bad.  Still, the impact players were gone by then and I had zero issues with that deal

How does his deal have that potential.......with the amount AZ retained, it's actually a solid deal for a top pairing dman. It takes him to 34 and it's unlikely his play drops off much in that time.

28 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

OEL might be useful now, his play & contract will not age well and shall be a hindrance when the team is ready to contend. 

tbh I don't see any reason why OEL can't be at least as useful as Edler was over the next 5 seasons. He's in great shape, but maybe more importantly he's a pretty smart player. He'll be able to make smart decisions during the game to remain a good player. 

I'm not worried about OEL's play dropping off a cliff, we'll just have to compensate for his salary by pairing him with cheaper players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Well you don't extract Miller from the lineup without adding pieces from the trade and signings........ unless he walks for nothing.

Bo

OEL

Myers

Pearson

Garland

Petey

Demko

All solid leaders.......OEL was captain in Arizona for how long?

Not buying that list for guys who have almost single handedly put this team on their back vocally and physically spearheading leading by example of play..

id say those on your list are more grateful for Millers leadership and will be highly effected by his loss.

Id say those on your list have responded to Millers actions, and have played better for it.

It will be a mudslide in Vancouver if he leaves, or is traded.

Two words that I can use to define JT Miller, ..   Nucleus and Catalyst .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yes this was a very good trade. No regrets.

One of the rare plus moments in JB’s tenure, which was otherwise full of minuses.

I believe if we keep Miller, he will not descend as much as folks here are worried about in his last 3-4 years. He will age as well as OEL. He will be at minimum a 50 point second liner at the end of his extension.

I sincerely hope that you're right!  I don't mean to make it seem like I am hating on the guys.  All three players are some of my favorites! 

I'm just not sold on the optimism.  You can call me jaded from my years as a fan.

Sometimes an athlete just gets old almost over night.  It's weird.  I'll never forget Roy Jones Jr. in boxing.  The man was almost literally untouchable.  He looked like Neo from The Matrix.  Then he turns 35 and BOINK!  Starts getting knocked out left and right. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Not buying that list for guys who have almost single handedly put this team on their back vocally and physically spearheading leading by example of play..

id say those on your list are more grateful for Millers leadership and will be highly effected by his loss.

Id say those on your list have responded to Millers actions, and have played better for it.

It will be a mudslide in Vancouver if he leaves, or is traded.

Two words that I can use to define JT Miller, ..   Nucleus and Catalyst .

he did not single handly put the team on his back.  He had a great season, but from mid Jan on, I'd say Bo and Petey were the best players in the lineup.  Losing Miller might put them back a step, but not as much aspeople like yourself think.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Muttley said:

He was working with Podkolzin late in the year. I think it's quite likely, some folks misinterpret his body language when he knows he can't catch up to a play, W/E.  It's too bad the other players can't be polled as to how they feel about playing with him and his contributions. Somehow I doubt there'd be much for negativity...  

So Miller is so great he is allowed to give up on plays and his teammates and it's W/E? You know a huge part of sports is taking constructive criticism and learning from it. Sorry but that is unacceptable behavior ... especially from a senior player who is supposed to be a leader on the team.

Now don't get me wrong it's not the end of the world (lots of players do it) but why are some people completely blind to any faults JT may have? Some even go as far as to suggest that JT isn't susceptible to getting old. Either way JT really cleaned up his act and emerged as a true leader from January on out. I'd imagine working with Bruce allowed him to grow in this respect as well. In addition to a little discussion about that OT play. -_-

However I'm sure there is a way this team can move on and find leadership from other avenues. Yes we'd definitely lose a lot, especially in the short term but is laying out 8-9 mil on a bad long term contract really the only way that gets done?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I sincerely hope that you're right!  I don't mean to make it seem like I am hating on the guys.  All three players are some of my favorites! 

I'm just not sold on the optimism.  You can call me jaded from my years as a fan.

Sometimes an athlete just gets old almost over night.  It's weird.  I'll never forget Roy Jones Jr. in boxing.  The man was almost literally untouchable.  He looked like Neo from The Matrix.  Then he turns 35 and BOINK!  Starts getting knocked out left and right. 

Ya that’s crazy but in boxing brain damage is a huge issue for being able to keep going. 

I also think that the Louie Player Name debacle has shell shocked a lot of fans here. Those type of drop offs are thankfully very rare.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

well OEL is only signed until he's 34, so we're good!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

You're right, my bad.  Still, the impact players were gone by then and I had zero issues with that deal

How does his deal have that potential.......with the amount AZ retained, it's actually a solid deal for a top pairing dman. It takes him to 34 and it's unlikely his play drops off much in that time.

It's not certain either way.  Plenty of guys do well in to their mid-late 30's for sure.  There's also a reason why those guys get praised for doing so.  Could go either way!

It's the right risk for some teams to make.  For the Canucks idk.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree and that's a reason they need to make a CPL of smart deals, especially with Miller. They need some young, NHL ready players in the lineup to make sure there is a succession in place

I can definitely agree on Miller, I love the guy, love the player. We just have too many holes to fill. If those holes were even 75 percent filled, and we could afford Miller, at his age. Absolutely, sign him. For now, he needs to be traded to help plug gaping holes.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

In 1 calender year do you feel your body changes soo drastically its very noticable? These are top tier pro athletes, mid 30's is not old. It's end of your prime years most likely. 

Some guys keep the pace though. I don't think Josi will fall on his face in just 3 years. Look at little joe in Dallas or ovi? Giroux? On a lesser level Jeff Carter? List goes on and on honestly 

My point was that the ages were wrong in that post.

2 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

He'll be 35 going on 36 in the last year of his contract.

Correct, I miscounted the seasons on cap friendly.  I have no issues with OEL as he's smart and smooth.......guys that play his style, such as lidstrom, never really drop off much and are effective players right to retirement 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Correct, I miscounted the seasons on cap friendly.  I have no issues with OEL as he's smart and smooth.......guys that play his style, such as lidstrom, never really drop off much and are effective players right to retirement 

How old was Duncan Keith when he fell off and went minus 30 or whatever it was.  35? 34?  

It's scary!!  Lidstrom is one of the all-time greats!  All-Time greats do all-time things!

* waits for the 80's crowd to lose their minds because I called Lidstrom an all-time great *

45 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I think that is incorrect. Ryan McDonagh doesn't drag the bolts down. This guy is a captian every where he goes. He plays a high level game still with no signs of slowing down outside of production a bit 

Almost every argument against the “declining asset” theory is playing in the Stanley Cup Final representing the Eastern Conference.… and they’ve won the cup the past 2 years consecutively.