The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

34 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Thank you for that , truly.

In all our jest over the years it’s good to know good humour keeps things moving forward.

Lazar,.  I’ve liked that rumour since it landed in these boards.

Yes to Reaves , yes to Marchment, Deslauriers.

Just about every one on that list.

But to clear cap ,  Boeser Pearson Dickenson and since we’re giving Kuzmenko a shot, does that move Garland as well ?

I still think we dont   h a v e  to move Miller.

thank you again,  especially if your name is on that piece.

:ph34r:

We don't HAVE to move Miller. It just makes the most sense.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

They seem to really want to keep Boeser.  Unless that's just a ploy to increase his value. (Well played if that's the case) They have also mentioned wanting to get faster.  Can they do that and move Garland WITHOUT moving Miller or Boeser?  Because publicly they have seemed more open to moving JT than Brock.

I’m sure that moving Brock, establishing that scenario from Management ,. Would not sit well with the fan base at this time.

Given the slow and deteriorating health of Duke, his father, and the recent loss of,.

Management here would look like Darth Vaders army.

I think they’ll leave that option to Brock,  but I don’t think he is going to get the amount of his QO,  unless it’s a single year to explore a good trade..

my guess is that after this Summer, he will want to go to Minnesota, it’s where he trains off season, and home where his mom and family reside.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We don't HAVE to move Miller. It just makes the most sense.

3-4 years more of his leadership and playing style will be very impressive to our young core, and valuable for that.

Hell still be worth something then.….  

But really,  Horvat could potentially bring as good a return for this club.

as did Linden.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

3-4 years more of his leadership and playing style will be very impressive to our young core, and valuable for that.

Hell still be worth something then.….  

But really,  Horvat could potentially bring as good a return for this club.

as did Linden.

If only he'd sign an extension for ~$8m x 3-4 years....I'd be right there with you. That's simply not reality though...ergo...

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

OEL is a top pair D paid like a top pair D. He's not remotely "overpaid". And defensemen usually stay productive until 34-35. At worst we have 1-2 mildly inefficient years at the end where he's overpaid ~$1-$1.5m.

That's a whole world of difference from Miller being overpaid $3-$4m over the last 3-5 years (depending on term).

disagreed. he's paid 7.25 well technically 8.25 but producing at same rate as tanev who's not known for his offense.. and tanev is prolly better defensively too and he's making 4.5mil compared to 7.25mil.. at 7.25mil.. he needs to produce closer to 45-50 point range.. being a 30point guy and good defensively doesn't make him well worth 7.25mil when there's tanev making 4.5mil that benning just let walked lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

disagreed. he's paid 7.25 well technically 8.25 but producing at same rate as tanev who's not known for his offense.. and tanev is prolly better defensively too and he's making 4.5mil compared to 7.25mil.. at 7.25mil.. he needs to produce closer to 45-50 point range.. being a 30point guy and good defensively doesn't make him well worth 7.25mil when there's tanev making 4.5mil that benning just let walked lol

Not to mention he was the Bert to Hughes’ Ernie. 
Man we could use Tanev.   Hahah

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Never understood Benning going from Tanev (4.5 per) to Schmidt (6 per) to OEL 7.2 per) and it cost him a third and a top ten first to do so.  It’s just scary bad on all levels. 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

You're looking at too narrow of parameters, ignoring the teams they played on or what situations they were in. OEL is capable of being a 40+ point D. Now he probably won't hit that here with Hughes eating up the prime PP minutes ahead of him but he's capable if needed (a Hughes injury?). And he's probably easily capable of 30+, behind Hughes, if not babysitting Myers and with a properly structured D core around him (some defensive D to both support him, play more of the match up role he was tasked with, eat some PK minutes etc).

And yes, a 30+, first pair capable, elite D is worth $7m easily in todays market. Top pair D in the league are making between $8-$12m per year in their UFA years. He's basically being paid like a bottom rung first pair/high end 2nd pair D.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Burroughs is about to add a skill set to his game we haven’t seen much of yet.. I saw some great 2 liners off the boards to forwards in the last quarter of the season.  Kid is heads up, and keen to stay, which is why he plays so aggressively.

He's got some sandpaper for sure. He seems to catch the opposition off gaurd with his aggressiveness. I like him a lot. Should be there over Hunt. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m sure that moving Brock, establishing that scenario from Management ,. Would not sit well with the fan base at this time.

Given the slow and deteriorating health of Duke, his father, and the recent loss of,.

Management here would look like Darth Vaders army.

I think they’ll leave that option to Brock,  but I don’t think he is going to get the amount of his QO,  unless it’s a single year to explore a good trade..

my guess is that after this Summer, he will want to go to Minnesota, it’s where he trains off season, and home where his mom and family reside.

I'm guessing the main reason we're unlikely to move Brock is that given his down year and RFA qualification amount, the returns would be underwhelming.

Both Brock and the Canucks are likely best off with a short term bridge deal or just dealing with his QO for one year and seeing where he's at after a hopefully more representative season (without the cloud of his father passing away all year, hanging over him). 

Hopefully they can come to agreement on something like a 3 year by $6-something deal (with a lot of upfront, bonus money to make it worth his while) that makes sense for both sides. Then he's either extendable in a couple years if he's shown to be worth it, or moveable for an actual return. Brock get's some security a bunch of lower tax, upfront cash and the ability to prove himself and cash in BIG still in a few years.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wit JR and BB being as old as the hills . Along with our ownership that seem to lack patience.

I'm starting to think the time is now, they will load up and push for contending results in the next few years. Therefore it would make sens to them to keep JT.

There, I've convinced myself.

Yes, it's lovely in my fantasy land.

Convinced Old Alf too!  Miller 7.75 x 8 

Make it happen JR! :towel:

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Jesus.

I don’t think that was the point…

Point being is that the Canucks have a 1-2 punch at 1D and if one goes down it’s not a sudden threat to the season.

But OEL st that price point. And with Rathbone on deck.

Jesus would agree with me  verily, I say unto u.

Got a feeling Boeser will be qualified at $7.5 and re-signs short term. Canucks might be banking on him rebounding. Miller has been great since becoming a Canuck, but he will be 30 and expensive. I really like seeing JR wants to bring in more sandpaper, and has me wondering who those players will be. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Got a feeling Boeser will be qualified at $7.5 and re-signs short term. Canucks might be banking on him rebounding. Miller has been great since becoming a Canuck, but he will be 30 and expensive. I really like seeing JR wants to bring in more sandpaper, and has me wondering who those players will be. 

If Boeser is QOd at 7.5 then he’s traded at the 2023 TDL as a rental (with retention).  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if he was on pp1, he'd be a 50pt dman, easily.  Hard to be an offensive dman when you get 20 seconds on every 2 min pp.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're looking at too narrow of parameters, ignoring the teams they played on or what situations they were in. OEL is capable of being a 40+ point D. Now he probably won't hit that here with Hughes eating up the prime PP minutes ahead of him but he's capable if needed (a Hughes injury?). And he's probably easily capable of 30+, behind Hughes, if not babysitting Myers and with a properly structured D core around him (some defensive D to both support him, play more of the match up role he was tasked with, eat some PK minutes etc).

And yes, a 30+, first pair capable, elite D is worth $7m easily in todays market. Top pair D in the league are making between $8-$12m per year in their UFA years. He's basically being paid like a bottom rung first pair/high end 2nd pair D.

sure but OEL is overpaid in vancouver period? coz we are paying him 7.25mil to be a defensive defenseman that plays on the second pp line?? then why did we get him to be a 2nd pairing defenseman?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure but OEL is overpaid in vancouver period? coz we are paying him 7.25mil to be a defensive defenseman that plays on the second pp line?? then why did we get him to be a 2nd pairing defenseman?

Yup.  Benning created a second pair that eats over 13 mil on the cap.  That’s why JR is trying to reallocate where the cap dollars are spent.  OEL, because of his contract, is impossible to trade.  So JR will move Myers.