The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

@aGENT @stawns @N4ZZY

Let me ask you guys this,

if Horvat was playing like Miller is,.   And Miller was playing like Horvat.

would you move Horvat?

(each player can keep his relative age)

What we're trying to tell you it's that it has little to do with how they're playing. It's not personal, it's situational with where the team's timeline and Miller's (and the cost of his next contract) just don't line up. 

I doubt you'll find anyone here who will state they don't like Miller the player.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What we're trying to tell you it's that it has little to do with how they're playing. It's not personal, it's situational with where the team's timeline and Miller's (and the cost of his next contract) just don't line up. 

I doubt you'll find anyone here who will state they don't like Miller the player.

.. and I hope what your understanding from me is that I think Miller is an “outliar” , who could continue to play this way for another 5 years, and be one of the best leaders, teamates and  this Organization has ever seen.

I think it’s Horvat and Boeser who will decline in 2 years, and personally, I’d rather keep a top level leader for 5 and trade another asset/s to fill where I think we a bit weak.

one on D, one on forward.

we are not far away from a great team with Miller,  but just staying good , and having nothing outstanding (other than goaltending)

just keeps in mediocrity in my eyes.

I hope Management makes the right decision here..  and hope they have conversations with all camps soon.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m confused by that Stawns,

I can’t see Horvat playing like he is now at 30, I think he’ll decline soon.

most nights he looks heavy. .  Hard to skater.

to me.

No has a house here and his family too.  He will extend.  Miller has no investment in our city.  Other than money, there’s nothing teeing him to us.  He’s gone as a UFA.  Trade him now!  

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m confused by that Stawns,

I can’t see Horvat playing like he is now at 30, I think he’ll decline soon.

most nights he looks heavy. .  Hard to skater.

to me.

He's just coming into his prime, Miller is just leaving his.  The new core is young, I'm not sure what's hard to see about that.  I haven't been shy about what I think about Miller, but it's got nothing to do with why I think he needs to be moved.  

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. and I hope what your understanding from me is that I think Miller is an “outliar” , who could continue to play this way for another 5 years, 

There's the problem. It's iffy he makes it that long. Most don't. Most start heavily declining between 32-34. The likelihood of him playing up to his next cap hit, past then is low, AND we need more than 5 years anyway, if by some miracle, he held up until then. We need 7+ ideally

HENCE SO MANY OF US UNDERSTANDING THAT HE DOESN'T FIT THIS CORE'S WINDOW.

That's the middle/peak of the core's prime. Likely our best chance to win a cup. Not the time to be saddled with a declining, mid 30's, $8-$9.5m, 3rd liner.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's just coming into his prime, Miller is just leaving his.  The new core is young, I'm not sure what's hard to see about that.  I haven't been shy about what I think about Miller, but it's got nothing to do with why I think he needs to be moved.  

I don’t think so

But I agree if it’s Laf and Schneids coming back I don’t see how you don’t pull the trigger.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

I don’t think so

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271172145_Estimating_the_effects_of_age_on_NHL_player_performance#:~:text=Our best estimate of the,and 24 to 34%2C respectively.

Our best estimate of the scoring peak age is between 27 and 28 for forwards and between 28 and 29 for defencemen. Both forwards and defencemen exhibit near-peak performance over a wide range, going from about 24 to 32 and 24 to 34, respectively.

Miller will be 30 when his next, likely $8-$9.5m contract starts. Statistically, he has two years, at that hit before he starts to decline. 

Can he be an outlier? Maybe? But no GM (not trying to win NOW) in their right mind bets on that. You bet on what the statistics say, almost certainly happens. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

@aGENT @stawns @N4ZZY

Let me ask you guys this,

if Horvat was playing like Miller is,.   And Miller was playing like Horvat.

would you move Horvat?

(each player can keep his relative age)

I would, if it would net us the largest return. 

But again, @SilentSam, it depends if Bo wants to remain here. 

with Miller, I’d be open to extending him. I think we need to keep Bo, which means that Boeser is probably the odd man out. If there was a way to keep all three at “discount” deals so that management can begin to build a contending team, than that would be of course, ideal. But Miller also has to want to be here. I get the sense - just me - no reports or rumors, that he does not want to be here long term. That he wants to test free agency to see what kind of deal he can get (financially and term). And it’s the smart move, honestly, on his part, if it’s true. Why limit yourself to one team, when you can offer yourself to the highest bidder for money and term, that sets up your family essentially forever. 

If he gets to UFA, he also decides where he wants to play, live, place down roots, etc. And I also get the sense that he’d prefer to play in America than in Canada. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I love Miller the player. He’s a force, which is why he’ll net us the absolute filthiest return we’ve had in a long time. Assuming of course, Allvin and his staff doesn’t screw this one up. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271172145_Estimating_the_effects_of_age_on_NHL_player_performance#:~:text=Our best estimate of the,and 24 to 34%2C respectively.

Our best estimate of the scoring peak age is between 27 and 28 for forwards and between 28 and 29 for defencemen. Both forwards and defencemen exhibit near-peak performance over a wide range, going from about 24 to 32 and 24 to 34, respectively.

Miller will be 30 when his next, likely $8-$9.5m contract starts. Statistically, he has two years, at that hit before he starts to decline. 

Can he be an outlier? Maybe? But no GM (not trying to win NOW) in their right mind bets on that. You bet on what the statistics say, almost certainly happens. 

Yeah. But someone is going to want to bet on that for a chance to go all the way in. 

• Cheers 1