The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They want our best player they’re not getting him for scraps.

They need to at minimum include two good young players. Newhook is going to get buried in Colorado. And Byram may not be able to even have a long NHL career with his concussion issues.

At some point the Avs are gonna have to go all in. That’s the cost of doing that.

Would likely just turn to acquiring Giroux to avoid losing a future top pairing Dman. 

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s that guy now.

Is he that guy in three years and beyond? That’s what you gotta be sure of if you’re going to re-sign him to a fat contract.

We need to be giving big contracts to 24-25 year olds not 30 year olds. That’s not the timeline this team should be looking at.

Ok yes, if we’re talking “last career contract” length, there is a major gamble.

But I fear the gamble of trading all our best assets when they click May not be the best of strategies going forward for the next three years.

Intuition is, Miller is a hockey player first and foremost. If Miller is still great next year, chances are he will outweigh his Cap hit for longer than not. That kind of motor doesn’t give up and sits on his money. That guy plays hockey the right way.

That motor creates chances, is surely a great voice in the room, and he’s front line at the show. That current show has retroactive future costs and really, I wouldn’t mind eventually paying Miller a couple of million a year too much for a couple years more when the eventual decline starts.

But players like that are rare. Let’s not think they grow on trees.

Edited by Me_

33 minutes ago, Screw said:

During a Monday appearance on Sportsnet's 650, Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli reported the Boston Bruins, Calgary Flames, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers expressed interest in Miller. Because he's signed through 2022-23, Seravalli felt that extra year could fetch the Canucks more than a first-round pick and a high-end prospect. TSN's Pierre LeBrun believes they'd listen if someone offered up three or four prospects.

Here are some interesting players and packages from those reported teams.  Obviously depending on the exact one we need to send something else aside from Miller, retain salary, or take some money back.

The Boston one is my favourite as Carlo gives us an instant pair with Hughes instead of a centrepiece to the trade that is a little less plug and play.

From NYR:

Schneider 

Chytl 

Robertson

2nd round pick

From Boston:

Carlo

Debrusk

Senyshyn

From Calgary:

I don’t see the pieces but I guess

Pelletier

Coronato 

2022 2nd round pick

2023 unprotected 1st round pick

From Minnesota:

Again, not sure the pieces are there

Boldy

Lambos

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Would likely just turn to acquiring Giroux to avoid losing a future top pairing Dman. 

Then that’s their choice.

We’re not desperate to dump Miller either.

A couple more playoff failures and Sakic’s done. His core is too good to not go all in. Not sure Giroux moves the needle enough for them at this point.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, DeNiro said:

They want our best player they’re not getting him for scraps.

They need to at minimum include two good young players. Newhook is going to get buried in Colorado. And Byram may not be able to even have a long NHL career with his concussion issues.

At some point the Avs are gonna have to go all in. That’s the cost of doing that.

Avs window is long and wide given their young players. They probably look elsewhere to add if that’s the ask. They’re not as desperate. 

Rangers probably the only real trade partner given that they have a top prospect pool and have the assets to make this sort of trade. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Avs window is long and wide given their young players. They probably look elsewhere to add if that’s the ask. They’re not as desperate. 

Rangers probably the only real trade partner given that they have a top prospect pool and have the assets to make this sort of trade. 

Their windows not as wide open as you’d think.

Mackinnon is 27 next season and sounds pretty fed up with not winning anything.

Landeskog is not getting younger and will start to decline.

Kadri will likely be gone in the offseason so that’s a big piece gone.

Point is they’re not going to have a better roster than they’ll have in these next three years. The time to go for it is now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Then that’s their choice.

Were not desperate to dump Miller either.

A couple more playoff failures and Sakic’s done. His core is too good to not go all in. Not sure Giroux moves the needle enough for them at this point.

I really dont think Sakic is on the hot seat, the general consensus around the league is that he has done a great job and would likely get snatched up immediately if he became available. Colorado are primed to be a contender for the next 10 years if they play their cards right.   

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Here are one interesting players and packages fen those reported teams.  Obviously depending on  the exact one we need to send something else aside from Miller, retain, or take some money back.

The Boston one is my favourite as Carlo gives us an instant pair with Hughes instead of a centrepiece to the trade that is a little less plug and play.

From NYR:

Schneider 

Chytl 

Robertson

2nd round pick

From Boston:

Carlo

Debrusk

Senyshyn

From Calgary:

I don’t see the pieces but I guess

Pelletier

Coronato 

2022 2nd round pick

From Minnesota:

Again, not sure the pieces are there

Boldy

Lambos

I would take that trade with Calgary and then re-sign Miller in FA, ha! I want Coronato badly and was super sad to see him go to the Lames. 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I really dont think Sakic is on the hot seat, the general consensus around the league is that he has done a great job and would likely get snatched up immediately if he became available. Colorado are primed to be a contender for the next 10 years if they play their cards right.   

Disagree about 10 years.

Mackinnon is 27 next season. Their window closes with him.

I would say they have 5 years, and their team may not be better than this current version by then.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

How many PPG top line centres who aren’t just rentals get traded at the deadline?

Far lesser players get a grade A prospect and a 1st round pick.

Unless a team is on the decline or rebuilding, which the Canucks are neither; none.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Disagree about 10 years.

Mackinnon is 27 next season. Their window closes with him.

I would say they have 5 years, and their team may not be better than this current version by then.

Rantanen, Makar, Byram, Newhook, Jost, Girard, Barron, Helleson, and Kaut all 25 years or under. Mckinnon should have at least another 7-8 years o elite production if not more. Makar - Byram could be the best d pairing for the next 10 years easily. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Their windows not as wide open as you’d think.

Mackinnon is 27 next season and sounds pretty fed up with not winning anything.

Landeskog is not getting younger and will start to decline.

Kadri will likely be gone in the offseason so that’s a big piece gone.

Point is they’re not going to have a better roster than they’ll have in these next three years. The time to go for it is now.

I disagree. A young D-core that will only get better. They’ve got quality pieces in the system. Cap-wise they’re are set up to re-sign their young pieces. They might lose Kadri but they’re still gonna be good. 

I highly doubt that from Mackinnon. Nothing to suggest anything of the sort. 

Their window is probably the best on the league. Maybe the Rags could eventually take the cake there. 

You’re over exaggerating things over there. They are far from an “all in” team. Caps, Bruins and Penguins are more so that with their aging core. 

10 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

3 games 

all star game questionable 

facial fracture and concussion protocol 

I’d avoid trading with Colorado they tend to win more trades then lose 

Well they’d be trading a ton of futures for 1.5 seasons of Miller for cheap. They’re the top team in the league if they win the cup with Miller and some prospects turn out for us would we lose that trade? We could potentially bring Miller back in free agency while getting the prospect package as Colorado wouldn’t be able to afford him.

Miller 50% retained and Halak (also in the market for a cheap backup)

Byram (want Newhook but they probably don’t want to subtract from the roster) Jost, Murray (cap reasons), Helleson (RHD prospect) and a 1rst in 2023

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I disagree. A young D-core that will only get better. They’ve got quality pieces in the system. Cap-wise they’re are set up to re-sign their young pieces. They might lose Kadri but they’re still gonna be good. 

I highly doubt that from Mackinnon. Nothing to suggest anything of the sort. 

Their window is probably the best on the league. Maybe the Rags could eventually take the cake there. 

You’re over exaggerating things over there. They are far from an “all in” team. Caps, Bruins and Penguins are more so that with their aging core. 

That cap space will start to disappear and their players will start to decline. Happens to every team. 

The idea that they have some decade long window is silly. Mackinnon is in his prime now, that’s when you go all in. There’s no guarantee his body will hold up until 35 with the heavy game he plays. Once he declines doesn’t matter how many good pieces you have in the system you can’t replace a player like that.

Guys like Newhook and Byram are luxuries for them. They can still be an elite team without them.

You’re telling me the AVs aren’t an even scarier team with Miller in their top 6? That’s what it’s all about. They can easily part with Newhook for that.

Byram is a still a big question mark with his health issues. And he’ll likely never reach his potential there with Makar taking all the prime offensive minutes.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Rantanen, Makar, Byram, Newhook, Jost, Girard, Barron, Helleson, and Kaut all 25 years or under. Mckinnon should have at least another 7-8 years o elite production if not more. Makar - Byram could be the best d pairing for the next 10 years easily. 

Your gonna have to pay those young players... With what cap? There best shot to win his this year. With Kadri there playing at an elite level. The JT fills his spot next season. COL should be desperate to make this kinda deal. They cant keep choking in the playoffs

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah more realistic than elite prospects like Kakko, Laffy, or Byram. Teams are hesitant to move they type of players after only 2 years. 

But if they got an old core with almost only two realistic playoffs left before rebuild they might sacrifice and up and coming. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

That cap space will start to disappear and their players will start to decline. Happens to every team. 

The idea that they have some decade long window is silly. Mackinnon is in his prime now, that’s when you go all in. There’s no guarantee his body will hold up until 35 with the heavy game he plays. Once he declines doesn’t matter how many gold pieces you have in the system you can’t replace a player like that.

Guys like Newhook and Byram are luxuries for them. They can still be an elite team without them.

You’re telling me the AVs aren’t an even scarier team with Miller in their top 6? That’s what it’s all about. They can easily part with Newhook for that.

Byram is a still a big question mark with his health issues. And he’ll likely never reach his potential there with Makar taking all the prime offensive minutes.

Nobody will question that the Avs are better with Miller but Newhook and Byron fit their timeline a lot better. 

They’re a long ways away from worrying about declining assets. 

Again you’re over exaggerating their issues. If that’s the ask they won’t bite.

Probably why they’re more rumoured to be on Giroux anyway.  They wouldn’t have to sacrifice significant assets already on their NHL roster. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

8 years for Mackinnon?

Thats faaar from a guarantee with the style he plays. He’s at an elite level now. That’s all they need to go all in.

You’re overestimating what their realistic window is. It’s 5 years at most and this current version of the Avs may be the deepest they’ll see once the cap space starts to run out.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nobody will question that the Avs are better with Miller but Newhook and Byron fit their timeline a lot better. 

They’re a long ways away from worrying about declining assets. 

Again you’re over exaggerating their issues. If that’s the ask they won’t bite.

Probably why they’re more rumoured to be on Giroux anyway.  They wouldn’t have to sacrifice significant assets already on their NHL roster. 

Okay we’ll talk again when they fail to get past teams like Vegas in the playoffs again.

This season is their best opportunity with the way the team is rolling. If there’s a trade that makes you a legit cup contender you do it and worry about filling those assets later.

As of now they’re still just a pretender. They don’t have the legit depth to go all the way. Waiting 3 years until players like Newhook are actual impact players is probably not the best strategy.