The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

17 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

It’s strange to think we are getting rid of a player that’s so good we can’t pay him …but I think the return will not be 3 blue chip items like many here say…so that will result for some fans to make some trips to therapy fairly soon..

It's likely term that is playing a bigger role, giving a player a large contract that last into his mid 30's after a career year and assuming his production will stay the same and not decrease is very risky. Statistically, most players production falls off once they his their mid 30's. Some elite players this isn't the case but those are few and far between. 

We are all fine with let's say $8.5 per year with he's putting up 99 points....but his previous totals 46, 72 and 47 points are you ok with $8.5? Albeit one was a shortened season but when you looks at his average points I'm certainly not expecting him to be a 100 point guy per season. Chances are, based on his history and age he will be 60-70 points a year for a few more years, then it will likely drop off. I'm not going to assume he's going to be 90-100 points until he's 37...I would bet a testicle there's no way that happens. 

$8.5 for let's say 7-8 is a HUGE gamble that likely won't pay off. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It will be overwhelming for sure to see management make a good decision.

Suck to lose the person.

We need to get use to this though if we want to become and remain a quality playoff team for years to come. Rotating the older expensive out for younger cheaper guys. Rinse and repeat 

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

why? there are a few really knowledgable folks on here. Just because they aren't "pro's" doesn't mean that they don't have a good depth of knowledge and/or keep up with new info prospects or different leagues. 

Much of Drance's info comes from other sources too, he doesn't create original info for everything he writes. 

Already spoke about this JM. I even shouted out a couple folks that I find peticularly knowledgeable. But that's the whole point, this dude has a phone full or sources. He talks to people who work for the team on the regular. He has had conversations with the players, the scouts, the agents, our management team. He has resources on hand that most of us would love just to have a single conversation with.

This entire conversation stemmed from someone saying he wasn't qualified to even write about hockey, paired with someone else saying that the average person on this website could do a better job as an NHL coach then our old assistant. I find claims like that just silly. If people think they are better then him, do it. I'll listen to them on the radio instead of Drance (like I keep saying, I don't even really like the guy). Until then, this guy is ok the radio and has been pretty successful talking about the team in depth.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We need to get use to this though if we want to become and remain and quality playoff teams for years to come. Rotating the older expensive out for younger cheaper guys. Rinse and repeat 

Oh yea buy low sell high. if you aren't a contender you need to sell.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We need to get use to this though if we want to become and remain a quality playoff team for years to come. Rotating the older expensive out for younger cheaper guys. Rinse and repeat 

Yuppp, we're way too sentimental for an organization that hasn't won anything. Management needs to be able to make the hard calls, and allowed to do so.

Fans can think and feel what they want.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

It's likely term that is playing a bigger role, giving a player a large contract that last into his mid 30's after a career year and assuming his production will stay the same and not decrease is very risky. Statistically, most players production falls off once they his their mid 30's. Some elite players this isn't the case but those are few and far between. 

We are all fine with let's say $8.5 per year with he's putting up 99 points....but his previous totals 46, 72 and 47 points are you ok with $8.5? Chances are, based on his history and age he will be 60-70 points a year for a few more years, then it will likely drop off. 

$8.5 for let's say 7-8 is a HUGE gamble that likely won't pay off. 

You know, I actually think you are half right in that we can afford to pay him that when he ages out. That and we are paying OEL and Myers too much for 2nd pairing Dmen.

3 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Schneider, Chytil, 2023 1st.  

Defenceman, Center, and lotto ticket.  Exactly the haul it should be. 

I agree maybe through in Kravstov instead of 2023 1st. Rangers were rumored to part with him as well. A full Russian line would be awesome.

Just now, Coconuts said:

Yuppp, we're way too sentimental for an organization that hasn't won anything. Management needs to be able to make the hard calls, and allowed to do so.

Fans can think and feel what they want.

Said it many times. We try to hard to be a family more than a hockey club. We prioritize being a good person and great in the community over winning.

Great traits to have but if the goal isn't building a winner.. something wrong.

I think this has changed with new management however 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, AngryElf said:

I’m wondering if Kuzmenko would feel like he was tricked if Miller gets dealt, considering three top centres was a major selling point. 

So long as he gets top 6 time along Horvat or Pettersson he'll likely be alright 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryElf said:

I’m wondering if Kuzmenko would feel like he was tricked if Miller gets dealt, considering three top centres was a major selling point. 

Doubt it, as he was likely promised playing time in the top 6 which would mean Petey or Horvat.  With Miller gone this team is not devoid of skill.  We have a lot of skilled players for him to play with including whoever we get in the trade.  

2 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Why? EP is no joke. If anything it's more opportunity which is what he wants going into a 1 year elc deal 

49 minutes ago, JM_ said:

man we just can't do 8 years at that number. Love the player but thats just not workable. 

If Miller is hearing Forsberg and Gaudreau are being offered $8M+ x 8yr…why would he accept less term?  He is just as valuable to the team as those 2 are for their respective teams.

And that’s the problem…:(

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Schneider, Chytil, 2023 1st.  

Defenceman, Center, and lotto ticket.  Exactly the haul it should be. 

To be honest, this may even be closer to the reality.  Schneider is essentially the key part of the deal because we are so weak at RD with his player type.  Chytil or Kakko would be a risk, but both have the upside to fill a need in our plans and the 1st is a lotto ticket.  If it's this type of deal we should all be really happy as we can also fill that 5M cap space Miller leaves with a UFA.

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

You know, I actually think you are half right in that we can afford to pay him that when he ages out. That and we are paying OEL and Myers too much for 2nd pairing Dmen.

Second most expensive d in the league....definitely not the 2nd best.

• Like 1