The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Is Miller worth more than that? I'd say yes. Perhaps the best center at trade deadline in recent years. I fear it's more a market thing. Like having the nicest car at an auction, but the wallets in the audience are only so full. Could always just keep Miller I suppose. One thing for sure, I believe in JR to milk what he can out of a deal.

Miller is definitely worth more than Schneider and a first. And yes, I’m biased because I love this team. And I’m sure Rangers fans are under-estimating Miller, because they’ll want him for as cheap as possible. 

But I’d ask Rangers fans what a Power Forward, point-producing, Penalty Killing, Power Play, heart and soul, emotional leader, kind of player is worth, at a contract for the next 1.5 seasons at 5.25M? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Miller is definitely worth more than Schneider and a first. And yes, I’m biased because I love this team. And I’m sure Rangers fans are under-estimating Miller, because they’ll want him for as cheap as possible. 

But I’d ask Rangers fans what a Power Forward, point-producing, Penalty Killing, Power Play, heart and soul, emotional leader, kind of player is worth, at a contract for the next 1.5 seasons at 5.25M? 

Ask them what they'd want for kreider then add a piece or three

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ask them what they'd want for kreider then add a piece or three

They’d definitely want a ton for Kreider. But it’s all about trying to get the best player for the lowest offer right. I guarantee you that’s what the Rangers are trying to do. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree Miller is worth more. Does he get more, not sure. It's a high first, so meh. Schneider is a good prospect, but could be Bryan Allan. Which is ok, but ya, I get what your saying. I challenge anyone to find a more intriguing center, cap friendly player, that has been available in recent years, than Miller. Will be real interesting to see how it unfolds. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree Miller is worth more. Does he get more, not sure. It's a high first, so meh. Schneider is a good prospect, but could be Bryan Allan. Which is ok, but ya, I get what your saying. I challenge anyone to find a more intriguing center, cap friendly player, that has been available in recent years, than Miller. Will be real interesting to see how it unfolds. 

I think it’s funny that as fans we are glued and stuck on the Rangers when actually there is a myriad of possibilities of trading partners and deals. The Canucks aren’t just limited to New York. 

I’m certain that JR and Allvin are probably gauging interest and conversations from other teams. If it was easy to deal Miller. He would’ve been dealt already I think. 

But we do need players coming back that can contribute. Miller is a sure thing. Is it fair that in a return package we aren’t getting a sure thing I return? Taking on Laff and Kakko are both risks. They could very well be busts. If that’s the case. Then the Rangers obviously win that trade. 

Schneider could be the next Bryan Allen. But I don’t think he is. He seems to be too good to be at Allen’s level. I think he’s better. But what do I know. LOL. I ain’t no pro scout. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Every mounting loss for them is going to put pressure for management to try to do something. 

If Laff is included, I think the Canucks definitely have to add, it won’t just be Miller. 

It’s kind of nuts, though, cause statistically, Laffreniere hasn’t produced in the NHL. Only 32 points in his career so far. That’s disappointing. Petey had more already at that stage of Laff’s career.

Petey in his first season had 28G, 38A for 66 points. Laff in his first season had 12G, 9A, for 21 points. Granted Laff played 54 games, while Petey had played 71. 

Petterson has averaged 18:30 in his four years playing on the top line with massive PP time. Laf has 13:30 and played on the third line for the most part. Completely different situations.

• Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Gotta remember… if there’s a star player on the block the Leafs have got to be front runners too :ph34r:

Hahahaha. To Leafs fans…

Boxing Day Middle Finger GIF by High Grossery

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Petterson has averaged 18:30 in his four years playing on the top line with massive PP time. Laf has 13:30 and played on the third line for the most part. Completely different situations.

I get it. But when is he going to be getting top six minutes? Has he not earned them yet? 

33 minutes ago, rekker said:

The comparable that comes to mind would be O'Reilly to Buffalo trade. He was traded at the draft with a single year left on his deal if I remember correctly. $6M cap hit with one year remaining, was a bit younger at 25, but pretty good stats leading up to the trade. Fetched Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher and a late 1st. At the time, it was a pretty good return with Zadorov, Grigorenko and Compher being 1st round picks in 2012 and 2013 and another late 1st. They were potentially viewed as somewhat underperforming, but still solid prospects.

I think if we could snag something similar, albeit with a higher end main piece coming back along with an underperforiming piece (Schneider + Kravstov + 1st) that would be a nice return and I would be happy with it. I think the talk of Schneider + Laff ++ is unrealistic at this point. Millsy is definitely helping his case though recently.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Petey is a proven superstar.  Laugher is proving a bustaroo bonsai.  

from the Av's, I think even a deal without a high pick would still be good of it were Newhook and Barron.  That would cover both needs for the Canucks........it'd be nice to get a pick as well, but those are two players who probably step right into significant roles with cost controlled contracts.  If they want a 1st as well, they could retain salary on Miller and add Boeser as a pure rental for the Avs

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

from the Av's, I think even a deal without a high pick would still be good of it were Newhook and Barron.  That would cover both needs for the Canucks........it'd be nice to get a pick as well, but those are two players who probably step right into significant roles with cost controlled contracts.  If they want a 1st as well, they could retain salary on Miller and add Boeser as a pure rental for the Avs

This is a decent package, I would definitely consider the NYR if they offered Laff...he could be our new stud #1C for the next decade but I don't see the Rags trading him for JT

• Haha 1