The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

There are no good offers right now.. everyone trying to get better thru free agency signings..

If we're a 100 point team gliding into playoffs then you keep him. Try win cpl rounds and see what happens if he walks he walks..if we suck and not a playoff team we'll get 1 roster player prospect and 1st at tdl and we take it.

We're not getting anything more now than we would at tdl.  So no rush. No hurry.  

I guess I’m more worried and concerned about Miller walking for nothing. That’s not just nothing. That’s a failed opportunity to take advantage of getting assets back for a player who could walk straight into free agency. It’s poor asset management. We critiqued Benning and his regime for continually doing that, but are okay with Allvin and Rutherford for doing the same thing? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not true.

I am in the camp that we keep him until tdl. If we look like a solid playoff team we keep him and try win some rounds... IF we don't look like a playoff team and can't re sign him to a 5 or 6 year under 7.5 mill we trade him for a pick prospect and a mid level roste player. 

I would  not keep him if it requires 7 yrs over 8 mill.  

If it's reasonable deal I'd resign him in the max 6 yrs 7.5 aav range. Give or take a bit on aav but not term more than  6 yrs.  

Miller’s not signing 6 years at 7.5M. No way he takes that. I’d be surprised if he agreed to those terms. 

If he did, that’d be great for the team of course moving forward. 

I think the more realistic scenario is that he’s traded, or he walks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, winthecup said:

if he plays well again there will be a bidding war going into the playoffs. If he doesnt play as well as he did last season, the Canucks will have negotiating leverage to get a cheaper extension. 

Or he walks straight to free agency. 

Miller is the type of guy that would be willing to bet on himself. I could see him doing that. Sign a contract that’s cheaper than what he could sign for with another team, and play in the US? 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Not true.

I am in the camp that we keep him until tdl. If we look like a solid playoff team we keep him and try win some rounds... IF we don't look like a playoff team and can't re sign him to a 5 or 6 year under 7.5 mill we trade him for a pick prospect and a mid level roste player. 

I would  not keep him if it requires 7 yrs over 8 mill.  

If it's reasonable deal I'd resign him in the max 6 yrs 7.5 aav range. Give or take a bit on aav but not term more than  6 yrs.  

lol gaudreau getting 9.75x7 being the same age.. miller will sign for more than 2mil less? i think you guys need to just accept Miller's next contract assuming he keeps up his play will start at 8.5+ just a matter wether it's 6 or 7 years.

14 minutes ago, winthecup said:

if he plays well again there will be a bidding war going into the playoffs. If he doesnt play as well as he did last season, the Canucks will have negotiating leverage to get a cheaper extension. 

if Miller have an off season.. i see 0 chance he re-sign in vancouver.. the team that will end up costing him millions on his final contract by not offering the extension he wanted in the summer or trading him to another team where he could theoretically re-sign this summer where his value is at peak.  if he re-signs this off season whether vancouver or to a team traded.. he'll likely be commanding 8.5+.. imagine if he have an off season where he finish in the mid 70s range for points.. he'll prolly end up with a contract closer to the 7mil or heck he might have to go the taylor hall route and take a 1 year contract to hopefully bring up his value again only to sign for even less the following year ala hall.. would you re-sign with the team that cost you millions? i sure wouldn't.

57 minutes ago, winthecup said:

If he plays well going into the playoffs, does Nucks want to let him go?

This is the catch..... would be better to have it sorted one way or another before season starts... 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Depending on where Kadri lands, we might see NYI circle back and Allvin demand more. Sounds like he's letting teams discuss contracts now with Miller so there still might be some movement. If NYI want to throw their 1st in there for next year that would be a nice gamble because they could easily still suck and give us a very good pick in a good draft.

Dobson isn't going anywhere though, they do have some neat centers to pick from but we really do need RD and apart from Dobson and Pulock they lack quality. The only RD prospect they have is Wilde, a 22yo massive 6'3 shutdown guy but he's in Sweden and hasn't played in the NHL yet (former 2nd rounder) so bit of a flyer.

I wonder if there's a trade involving a center + defenceman + 1st for Miller. Any combo of these:

Pageau + Pulock + 1st (too much coming back)

Pageau + Wilde + 1st (too little)

Barzal + Wilde + 2nd (doubt Barzal moves)

Nelson + Wilde + 1st

To be honest I'm not blown away by anything they can offer but sadly they (or Washington) are realistically our only trading partners left. Almost better to wait until TDL or resign him IMO but I think Lou will have another pick before the off-season is done.

Wilde was once so promising. He was a hot topic of discussion on cdc too that draft year.

his development kind of stalled and he’s not looking so certain.

if Brock Faber is a B+ RHD prospect Wilde is a C I think.

Pageau is kind of overrated to me. I’d prefer Evan Rodriguez at 2-3 Million than Pageau at 5 million for a third line C. He is locked up for years at that price too

i just don’t get what NYI can give us that’s worth the trade tbh.

Adding a winger form them with 4-5 million now doesn’t make sense, Pageau makes the most sense since we’d need a third line RHC but his price tag is a lot and give us minimal cap space from the trade. And Miller >>>>>>>>> Pageau.

With Wilde and a 1st top it still isn’t a great return. It’s hard for me to visualize them as a trade partner 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hey N4ZZY, just a heads up that JR mentioned in an interview with Donnie and Dhali that he will continue to work with JTM to sort out a contract but if they can’t, he has up until the deadline to trade him. He also explicitly said that if it does come down to that, he intends to get an asset(s) back and will not let JTM walk away without a return. 

and to some others, just a quick reminder:

Benning is no longer the GM of this franchise. 

anyone who thinks it’s fair or valid to assassinate a 6 month old regime, while in actuality are basing that perspective off the mistakes made or misfortunes of the previous regime, should maybe take a break from the game, dig down and do some Nux fan soul searching, haha. 

it’s astonishing some of the narratives being driven by “fans” who are completely ignorant to the fact that they don’t (none of us) actually know jacksh!t about what has or is going on behind the scenes. 

whether it’s trade deadline, contracts, blah blah blah blah blah. You’re just a fellow media simp, parroting clickbait speculation/hyperbole and presenting it as a factual account of the past and current happenings.

check your egos and quit simplifying process as though your perspective is dynamic, omnipotent and factual.
It’s not.
it’s becoming embarrassing watching ppl pretend that they know more than they do.

I did like how he said he won’t be walking into free agency. I felt assured by that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Rush or no rush JR'S playing the politician, he may be giving it straight but the media have been handled much better by this management group in general so there's not much to go off. Listen to what they say absolutely, but take it with a grain of salt too as they're not going to show their cards.

I still think they'd like to clear cap space and improve their defense, we have too many forwards now and if additional moves are to be made something will have to give.

Given our prospect pool it's unlikely we move prospects or picks, if we're to acquire a D via trade it'll likely cost us at least a top six forward. 

I still hope to see things resolved before camp.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Wats problem here use words. Canucks are rumoured be in on klingberg. Sens we’re also interested in Myers. Mayfield is perfect partner for Hughes.

The Canucks are not rumoured to be interested in Klingberg. Some random dude tweeted that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

The Canucks are not rumoured to be interested in Klingberg. Some random dude tweeted that

Also fits mold of what Alvin,Ruth want in d strong skater and puck mover until he signed he’s worth run if we had cap.

Just now, Scottydzik said:

Also fits mold of what Alvin,Ruth want in d strong skater and puck mover until he signed he’s worth run if we had cap.

I would be happy if Klingberg signed here but there's no reputable source stating that they have any interest or any moves in place to clear the appropriate cap space.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I would be happy if Klingberg signed here but there's no reputable source stating that they have any interest or any moves in place to clear the appropriate cap space.

Alvin and Ruthford both stated there main goal was clear cap I still think it’s possible.